Need curb appeal for house - color ideas
ladyminmt
July 9, 2014 in Design Dilemma
We are planning to replace the siding, shutters and front door of this home. Also need to replace the fascia and garage door (presently a white carriage style for 2-car garage) after hail damage. I'm looking for a different color scheme, am undecided about keeping the white siding color. Would like a color scheme that adds more curb appeal.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
One option is using gray for the siding color while keeping the black shutters.
July 9, 2014 at 5:07AM      Thanked by ladyminmt
Denita
Consider changing your landscaping first before changing siding color if possible. It is blocking your front entry and blocking the entire lower floor area and all the nice features of your lovely home. Once you change the landscaping you will see your home with loads more curb appeal.

With the landscaping opened up and modernized and the front door painted a glossy black (or even red) you will have a wonderful home and entry. You might consider painting the new fascia black if you keep the black and white colors.

Also consider changing out your shutters or removing the shutters. The current shutters aren't sized right for your windows. Here is a brief article with photos about shutters to show you properly sized shutters: http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/
July 9, 2014 at 5:26AM      Thanked by ladyminmt
ladyminmt
I have considered Dytecture's suggestion for a gray siding, keeping the black shutters, and white trim and garage door and front door. I'm not sure if the gray would look good with the natural cedar wood fence that we have on both sides of the house (to enclose the back yard). We also have a cedar-colored composite deck on the back of the house. I'm not sure what style you would characterize this home and if gray would be a good color choice for the style. Could you comment on this?
July 9, 2014 at 6:04AM   
ladyminmt
Denita, thanks for the great article on sizing shutters! These were already installed on the home when we purchased it. I like the idea of functional shutters, as we get a lot of intense storms with hail here. I'm wondering though if the functional shutters would rattle and make noise in the winds we have here. We've cleared out a lot of the landscaping that was in the front yard originally. The large junipers that are in front of the lower level do provide some shade from the hot afternoon sun. I'm not a big fan of those junipers though and would like some other type of plant there. The front of the house faces south, so we get the hot afternoon sun. That's one of the reasons I'm concerned about doing a black front door. I've looked at insulated fiberglass front entries and thought that perhaps that would mitigate any thermal effects from the black color. Do you think a black front door would be too close to the black shutters on the picture window? Would you keep the sidelight white or do it in black also?
July 9, 2014 at 6:18AM