where do I put bathroom necessities ?
Evie Neumann
July 9, 2014 in Design Dilemma
I have a medium size master bath with little room for storage in vanity cabinets. would like to recess one medicine cabinet into side wall, the other side has a pocket door. looked awful when I tried a matching wood cabinet. thinking of mirroring the back wall and side walls to conceal cabinet. there will be a quartzite
counter top and backsplash. I also need
more electrical outlets- thinking of putting a quad on side walls in mirror. it's a tricky room, trying for a sleek, symmetrical look. Suggestions/ thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Patricia Colwell
These things should have been decided before renos, I would do something like this and have it made to match cabinets maybe shallower and a bit narrower, you will besurprised how much stuff can go it that space maybe the electrical can be done even now without too much problemm and for sure before the backsplash.
1 Like   July 10, 2014 at 8:33AM
PRO
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
well, it's not too late to add mirrored medicine cabinets from Robern that are surface mount (watch your faucets hitting them, choose the size and height wisely. Depending on the width you can have 3-4 for of them side by side.

You seem to be far along to be adding outlets now, it will be costly. Why don't you hire a designer/ manager?
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 8:39AM
Evie Neumann
thanks for the idea, i'm not a fan of the center console cabinet unless you have a long countertop. looks way too crowded. yes, clearly these things SHOULD have been considered before reno, obviously they were not or I wouldn't be on houzz asking for advice. Thanks Patricia for pointing out the obvious.
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 8:44AM
Evie Neumann
The electrical outlets already exist, so its not a big deal to move them into mirror or back splash. Nor is it a bid deal to recess a medicine cabinet into a wall where there is currently one. Perhaps I should have rephrased my question. What I'd like is opinions on the aesthetics of mirroring the side walls and whether to move outlets into quartzite backsplash or put them into mirrors. the look would be something like this:
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 8:58AM
PRO
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
What I am saying is that instead of a plain mirror you have 4 mirrored medicine cabinets from Robern with tons of storage on the entire wall that you are planning to put mirrors on. Whoever designed your vanity was very generous with sink base cabinets. They could have been half the size for a bathroom sink, and you could have had two additional banks of drawers for storage. I would put the outlets in the sides, get rid of that super ugly small medicine cabinet and put mirrors on the side of the niche (in essence reversing you sample picture you posted just now).
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 9:03AM
PRO
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
just watch the faucets.
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 9:04AM
Evie Neumann
the change I would make to the bathroom pictured is to have the mirrored cabinet on the right be made to cover the entire side wall to match the opposite wall.
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 9:09AM
PRO
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
Right, but your dilemma is lack of storage. I am describing the most amount of storage you can add without incurring any more unnecessary changes and maintain the aesthetic, but I don;t think you are understanding.
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 9:11AM
Evie Neumann
Medicine cabinets against the back wall is a good solution for adding more storage, agreed, however, if the cabinets are not recessed into wall you run into the faucet problem as you mentioned and the fact that they protrude out which kind of bothers me aesthetically. I know, I know, I'm a little crazy and particular, which is why I am my own designer- I think I would drive any professional CRAZY. I very much appreciate your thoughts and advice, thank you!
1 Like   July 10, 2014 at 9:18AM
Evie Neumann
A side note, the vanity cabinets are not custom, I was forced to use a certain size to accommodate the sinks I chose. Knowing this, I knew from the beginning I was going to need to be creative about storage.
1 Like   July 10, 2014 at 9:22AM
PRO
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
Well it's not like you can't pull the vanity out 6" and create the recess for the medicine cabinets that way. Just saying as a professional ;)
1 Like   July 10, 2014 at 9:25AM
Evie Neumann
now that's a very interesting and creative solution! Will check on the logistics of that today, many thanks!
1 Like   July 10, 2014 at 9:28AM
PRO
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
FYI most clients are very particular and we are used to dealing with just about any personality, it is absolutely natural to be particular about the space you are going to live in. Most designers who are in this for the long haul know how to make you feel comfortable and trust them, once you get to know them and you know that we have your best interests in mind and heart.
0 Likes   Thanked by Evie Neumann    July 10, 2014 at 9:29AM
PRO
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
I think it will be fab! ;)
1 Like   July 10, 2014 at 9:30AM
Evie
i also have very limited storage in my bathroom too but i literally have no options haha - lucky its only the main/guest bathroom so will re think when we get to the master... as for your lack of electrical outlets why dont you go for something like this? not sure how many drawers etc you have but always thought id was a great idea... keeping the vanity area aesthetically pleasing and not too cluttered. :)
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 3:03PM
Evie Neumann
thanks, Evie I love the idea of hiding the electrical in a drawer!
1 Like   July 10, 2014 at 5:06PM