Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?

Emmeline Westin
9 years ago
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant if you want to save some money and buy your chairs second hand.

Is this a look for you? Do you have mismatched chairs in your house?

Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

Comments (92)

• Nicky Plaskon
    9 years ago
    We bought a used counter height dining table for a great price... with a small budget to then buy the chairs, we did get mismatched chairs. The chairs were all the same color wood to match the table and the same color leathers seats. They looked really great! It adds style and appeal to the kitchen / dining area. I love it and love my husbands decision to go with different chairs. I was skeptical.
  • meora
    9 years ago
    I dislike this look, prefer chairs that match
  • Rhodalynn
    9 years ago
    They look good in professionally decorated rooms, but in my house it looks a disaster.
  • Barbara Reuter
    9 years ago
    I am shopping for a new kitchen and chairs. The look I'm beginning to like is the same chair but in different colors.
  • onthecoast1
    9 years ago
    Mismatched chairs are AWFUL and would be the bane of my existence if that situation existed in my home. Never have I ever seen even one professionally decorated dining room on Houzz that looked good with mismatched chairs in it. Seriously, I cannot even express in words how much I dislike the mismatched chair fad.
  • PRO
    Interior Concepts Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Definitely not for me. Maybe same end chairs with the other 4 being the same. Maybe!
  • PRO
    Maria Maxwell Interiors
    9 years ago
    I love the look of mismatched chairs... so long as the chairs are similar in scale, finish and/or fabrics. I also love seeing a mismatched (but color coordinated) place setting at each seat at a dinner party!
  • ellie48
    9 years ago
    I love mismatched chairs in a dining room! It is adventurous. It shows creativity! It can be done well. It does take a good eye. The comment I would have about the picture above is that the chair to the left does not relate to the others. It is too heavy. It is odd looking. I love mismatched table settings. Again, it shows creativity.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I like end chairs that are big and fabric. Side chairs the same.
  • isabellegasior
    9 years ago
    I think it adds lots of character and unique design to any room. Love it!
  • Larissa
    9 years ago
    love it
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Miss match is fine if there is some repetition to have the needed continuity. Could be furniture finish color, two styles, or all different finishes. It depends on the feeling and style you are wanting.
  • Angie Wilson
    9 years ago
    Don't like it at all. There is a real art to doing something like this - this example misses the boat entirely. sorry.
  • kkaccordion
    9 years ago
    I love things that aren't "matchy-matchy" & really like using meaningful pieces. Always remember that nothing HAS to match; they just have to get along. :)
  • quatorze
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I like a mix, but not a mash-up. Side chairs different from head and foot arm chairs is great. Modern chairs with an antique table or vice-verse, is also great; think formal Queen Anne dining chairs around a steel and glass topped table. All different chairs can work if they have the same theme, like all the same color, all metal, all upholstered in an eye-catching fabric, etc.

Just pulling disparate chairs with absolutely no relation together is almost always doomed to failure, unless done by someone with a great eye, and then, after studying the assemblage, you will see that there is still a cohesive underlying thought to the seemingly random selection.
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    9 years ago
    When done right, mismatched chair can make an entire room. Mandi @ Dura
    Woodbury Kitchen-Main Level Remodel · More Info
  • itasf
    9 years ago
    Black is too severe against the white walls. A soothing, softer color would be best. Also, if you will edit a chair(s), the two facing the camera would be a good choice.
  • PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    9 years ago
    Yes ! This is a great example of ends matching and sides matching. PERFECTO !
  • User
    9 years ago
    I don't mind ALL mismatched chairs in a tea room, but shown like in your photo is not a style for me.
  • Rosanne
    9 years ago
    I think it can work when done correctly. Make sure all of the chairs are of similar size. I think I saw an example of this in a picture of one of Oprah's summer homes.
  • mhteb
    9 years ago
    Although having the end chairs different from the side chairs is a great look, they are so often fully upholsted with arms while the side chairs are wood and no arms. Since the host and hostess usually set on the end chairs, I find that putting guests in less comfortable chairs to be extremely rude.
  • User
    9 years ago
    mhteb- lol, Semper Fi... it is ALL about the look;))
  • PRO
    Aboeda Design
    9 years ago
    That is a been there and done that restaurant design gimmick to cut down on costs. Personally I wouldn't have it in my house.
  • User
    9 years ago
    It's ok where there are different body types/disabilities. Should be matched by colour though. It's ok for people on a low budget. Is ok for a crazy, fun or bohemian look. Otherwise, no, I like my chairs to match if possible.
    I'm currently looking out for 4more antique chairs of the same pattern to suit my 4 existing upholstered ones. No luck so far. It's very hard to match antiques. It would be much easier to match my un upholstered wooden chairs, but we are not getting younger and neither are our visitors. Meantime I'm using chair pads of the same colour. Anyone know of a chair matching service in Australia?
  • catlover804
    9 years ago
    I will be glad when this "fad" ends...some can pull it off nicely, but generally it makes the room look like a second hand store.
  • quatorze
    9 years ago
    For a main home, I can certainly see why people have commented that the look is not for them, but for a summer or beach house, it can be great fun. The look, when done with thought and care, is certainly more geared to a leaner and more modern house; it would generally be out of place in a more formally appointed home, graced with very elegant interior architecture, boiseries and other formal moldings.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Oh, and we name all the dolphins on the 4chairs, example above. The 2 above are Heckle and Jeckle.
  • User
    9 years ago
    LOL Chook- how did I already know that;))
  • User
    9 years ago
    One other is Bonnie and Clyde. The other 2 I forget.
  • krf9
    9 years ago
    I'm not talented enough to make sure they still look good. I dont mind having different 'head' chairs for the ends of the table, but in general i like to keep it all the same.
  • PRO
    Aboeda Design
    9 years ago
    I think Catlover804 put it much better than I did.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    Although they're mismatched, they are united through the color. The color looks great on these chairs. They flow well. Even the different shapes work well together because they still fit a certain theme.
  • PRO
    Ferris Zoe Design
    9 years ago
    this is a good example of what eclectic means. the dining chairs are all different styles that don't match, but there is a color relationship, which is the reason it is pleasing. eclectic does not mean "not thought out," in design terms, but exactly the opposite, very well thought out.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Huey and Duey.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Hansel and Gretel.
  • Patricia Weeks
    9 years ago
    They make the room interesting. Keep them.
  • PRO
    sarah Roth
    9 years ago
    it depands if u want a elgent or funky living room
  • Sasha G.
    9 years ago
    I tried a (kind of?) mismatch with two types of similar chairs. I do like a little bit of symmetry in the chaos...if that makes any sense! I love the this one too ->
    TriBeCa Loft · More Info
    and this one ->
    Dining Room · More Info
  • PRO
    Jason Chuck
    9 years ago
    Love the mismatched dining room chairs look, else matched seats and different colours are also good:
    My Houzz: Renovated Farmhouse Merges Historic and Modern Elements · More Info
  • redfarmor
    9 years ago
    I have an antique round oak pedestal table and mixed pressed back chairs in the same wood color. The table was my grandmother's and each chair has a story. Love them even if they may not be "correct".
  • kirstieparker
    9 years ago
    All for it!
  • kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    Maybe I am catching my daughter OCD because it bothers me that we have two captains chairs and three comb back Winsors around a rectangle table. It was Grandmother's matching maple set but one chair was damaged before we go the set.
    Mismatch can work if unified through color shape or style but it takes an artist eye to really balance the design.
    My goal for the grandma set is having a cabin to put it in and extended it with a Winsor bench on one side and the three chairs opposite it and the captains chairs on the ends. Mismatched but balanced better than in our octagon breakfast nook. Chances are one of the daughters will take it and we'll a pub or pedestal table set.
  • createhouzz
    9 years ago
    I think the chairs look great. Your house should reflect your personality and your uniqueness. If you love it, it doesn't matter what others think.
  • iwantit
    9 years ago
    I don't mind having different captain's chairs but not all chairs being different. I thrive on symmetry and all those mismatched chairs would drive me crazy.
  • sophiemario
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That heavy thick plastic chair to the left is a miss match to the rest. Two thumbs down from me and way tooooo much stuff on the table

• Maggie Giesie
    8 years ago

I love mismatched chairs! However, I feel the far left chair is too short in comparison with the others.

• Trish McDonnell
    8 years ago

I like the look if all the chairs are within the same color scheme!

• Caroline Plucker
    8 years ago

I love this look! I personally don't think I could execute mismatched chairs this way but I think it adds a great touch IF they are all the same/similar color. Or else it just looks messy.

• Christina Ronzani
    8 years ago

Very cool, I love this idea!

• Psyletta Gilroy
    3 years ago

I am eclectic, but I do like a certain flow. I found a table that I loved that was a custom painted and distressed antique farmhouse style. ALL of the chairs matched. Once I got the set home (over the course of some days) I realized that one of the chairs was wobbly. I ended up trying to glue it, but ultimately that did not work. Since I love all of the other chairs (and they are in good condition), I am just replacing the one, but I think it's going to work. The chair that I've found to replace it is also an older style, but it is a sage green that I think is going to be very eye-catching in contrast to the distressed powder blue color of the rest of the set. It is also an armed chair, and none of the other chairs have arms. My chair cushions are also a sage color, and that color can also be found in my placemats and rug, so I think it will have a very fun look without necessarily giving off a thrift store vibe. Of course, time will tell!