What to do in this room?
allboys3
Need some ideas on how to redo and utilize this space in my house. It is set up right now as a living room. We really just use it as a pass thru to other parts of the house. We have other sitting areas. It is also a very awkward shape. Any suggestions?
nadamesmo
What tape of style do you want for the living room
July 9, 2014 at 5:06pm   
nadamesmo
*What type of style do you want for your living room
July 9, 2014 at 5:07pm   
pcmom1
A library/study with a couple of reading chairs is always a good option.

Or, if you sew or craft, etc. you could have a cabinet maker create a space for you to close up when not in use.
MISC
Wyn Huis
Diamond Cabinetry
July 9, 2014 at 5:13pm   
pcmom1
I have a friend that leaves her formal dining room pretty much empty. That leaves it open for many possibilities. She sits it up for parties by renting large round tables. Once brought a lot of us over for a line dancing class.

You could do the same. Leave the rug and a comfortable chair and embrace the feeling of space!

July 9, 2014 at 5:22pm     
Decorilla | Design a Room Online
Hi allboys3, do you want to leave this space as a living room or utilize it as another room? The furniture in the room right now seems to be too bulky, making the room feel much smaller than what it actually probably is. Look at the layout of the photo 2 (not the colors), you could put a console where the couch is next to the stairs.

I also like the idea of a library and having built in shelving in the above MISC photo!
July 9, 2014 at 5:54pm     
happyleg
Mudroom, pool table? desk, bookcase. Sell furniture, since you have a LR.
July 9, 2014 at 6:20pm   
S&A Decor
hi
1) you have WAY TOO MUCH soft furniture in the room
2) change curtains, maybe just blinds
3) TV under against the window or electric fireplace and mirror above it
July 9, 2014 at 6:36pm     
MarleneM
Hi allboys3, there is too much furniture in this space. I also think a console where the sofa is by stairs, then two chairs (smaller rug also) with a round table between them across from the console. There looks to be a shelving unit in the next room, family room?, so I think a console would be better. And is there a desk by doorway into family room. This could be moved to corner where rocking chair and little table are.
July 9, 2014 at 6:40pm   
lucindalane
Yes, I would remove most of the furniture. I would put a nice table in the bay window, with a large lamp on it-it would look lovely if it was turned on at night(I find lights in the window a homey, welcoming presence)and would also be a nice place to put some seasonal decorations on, if you like to do that. I would then get a nice bookcase for the large wall, and put put books, pictures, etc., on it. I would leave that one big chair and the ottoman in the room on the short wall, just so some random acquaintance or stranger that might drop by, on business or something-would have a place to sit down, and could use the ottoman if he/she needed to set something down while they were there. You might leave the rocking chair there, too, just in case you needed some second seating for some reason.
July 9, 2014 at 6:53pm   
Is it a Dining Room, Is it a Living Room - what do I do?
I just purchased a townhouse and we have a combined...
What do I do what this room?
I would like ideas! Should I re-stain, paint the paneling?...
What to do, what to do? Living room colour dilemma...
I need some seeeeerious help! I am finally through...
Dining Room In Need of Updating - What to do, what to do?
Our home is open in all directions. What is done in...
How to achieve a classic/ elegant/ chic decor ( key pieces)
Please, help me to decor/ furnish my living room.
Living room ideas!
Hi all! Here's our living room. I would love ideas...
Decorating a stair landing
Would like something besides empty space on my stair...
Need help with kitchen countertop!
We're in the process of building a home and we have...