Entry Way Help Needed
newhomegal
Trying to get new ideas for the entryway. The left side has a granite top pass through to the butler's pantry. Right Side leads to the stairs. I love the door and floors, but just can't seem to get the table and artwork right. I have tried two chairs on either side of the table, but didn't like it either. Ideas please. This is a very long space.
nadamesmo
I search for ideas and I think is a good idea
July 10, 2014 at 5:44AM        Thanked by newhomegal
newhomegal
The space is 7 feet wide and very long
July 10, 2014 at 6:14AM     
asquithoatley
Table looks too small for the space and the artworks look like they are floating away. You need a larger hall stand/ table and one art work or group the 3 together. Perhaps a hall runner would look good too. You have a beautiful home just needs a little touch here and there.
July 10, 2014 at 6:19AM        Thanked by newhomegal
Belle Chaise
I agree with the hall runner and larger table.
July 10, 2014 at 6:20AM        Thanked by newhomegal
I like your hall a lot.

I suggest you remove everything that is there now, and find one long, narrow, fabulous bench to run along that stair wall. And leave it at that. You will have four gorgeous things in the hall...the railing, the door, the floors and the bench. Perfect!

July 10, 2014 at 6:26AM        Thanked by newhomegal
robinglazier
I love the dark floors and door in contrast to the lighter wall color. As soon as I saw it, I envisioned a very long table the length of the wall made maybe of reclaimed wood from a barn or something, no more than maybe 12 inches in depth so that you maintain the open feeling of the space. Above the table you could place a series of large oval or round art pieces to break up the straight lines. Under the table, or on top, could be placed a plant possibly and some kind of beautiful large bowl for keys, etc. If you do a long runner (which I think would probably look nice instead of a rug at the door), I feel like the oval/round artwork would be more important since the runner would add yet another linear element. On the pass-through wall, I wouldn't do anything other than adding an oval/round artwork on either side of the passthrough. The large art pieces give you the chance to introduce some amazing colors into the space. I love the architecture of your home. Have fun.
July 10, 2014 at 6:32AM        Thanked by newhomegal
newhomegal
@robinglazier any ideas where I can get a table like that on a budget. I have a budget of $1000 max for the space.
July 10, 2014 at 6:35AM   
Rhonda Bovine
I love the idea of a long antique pew or bench in that space and it could really work well with an art grouping to make an impact. The table is too small for the space and the art is not hung closely together to form a cohesive look. Here's other ideas, one with a long console if you don't care for a bench. The depth of a console is the drawback in your space, while a bench or pew might fit better. Definitely get a runner that will ground this foyer. I love your house!

[houzz=Renovations & Remodels]

[houzz=Entance Hall/Mudroom]

[houzz=Gabby Decor]
July 10, 2014 at 6:35AM        Thanked by newhomegal
Kim Harvey Design, LLC
Keeping in mind the concept of proportion will help you to balance this space.
More specifically, by placing furniture items along the walls as they are now, you are actually accentuating its length.
In order to fool the eye in the opposite direction, the front door first of all needs to appear to be larger than it is in order to compete w/the floor (its dark finish against the light walls & woodwork make it look disproportionately small). This can be accomplished by adding a pair of decorative sconces much like the "multifaceted wall sconce" @ Ethan Allen (if there's sufficient space).
This type of application will serve to visually widen the space especially since the reflective surface provides a similar effect that side lights would if they were present.
Next, I would choose a beautiful area rug (maybe a 6'x9') that fits between the end of the doorway on the left (in your photo) & the beginning of the staircase.
This element will add focus to your floor (much like art does to your walls) therefore shortening the length of the hall & making it feel more like a foyer.
Finally, you can group your artwork on the staircase wall by running them in a straight horizontal configuration (with their centers @ approx. 60" off the floor) & closer together.
They are too small to be separated diagonally as they are now, & by arranging them as stated above, they will appear to be larger & fit more proportionally.
Now concerning furniture; I would place a bench of some sort underneath your artwork as recommended by others because it has a better visual weight to it than a leggy table.
Good luck!
July 10, 2014 at 6:45AM        Thanked by newhomegal
Rhonda Bovine
and my other question is concerning lighting in this back part of the hallway. Do you have a chandelier at the front door? Can you post a picture of the front door view? Or am I simply confused with the position of the stairs?
July 10, 2014 at 7:00AM        Thanked by newhomegal
newhomegal
Here is the view at the door. I used the smaller rug because there are two doorways one French on the left side and arch way to another set of French doors on the right side. There is an opening above the doorway with a light.
July 10, 2014 at 7:21AM   
decoratorsh
Maybe add some sparkle.
July 10, 2014 at 7:30AM        Thanked by newhomegal
robinglazier
I have seen a table similar to that on Wayfair.com before (the cost was $646 and 72" long/12" deep). Also, I know a friend who sent in her dimensions to www.thisgift.com and they made a hall table for her. They used woods and finishes to fit her budget. If you can find a local carpenter you may be able to work with him to get the type of table in the dimensions you want. I worked with a local carpenter who works out of his house and told him our budget and based on that, he built built-in shelving for us which came in a bit under budget. He also had left-over wood pieces from previous projects, and charged me very little to use those. If building a table the length of the hall is too expensive, perhaps two units of equal length placed side-by-side would work well if the cost were less? Don't rule out eBay (they had a hall bench made of reclaimed wood that my friend wanted as a table, and after she contacted the seller, they put legs on the bottom of the bench to make it into a table and the whole thing cost her $550. eBay also sells wood planks. I saw some priced anywhere from $75 for 2 to $150 for 4. You could buy from there and then have a carpenter build the piece for you). Look at bellacor.com; Etsy (they also can customize their pieces -- I've done that through them before); restorationhardware.com -- restoration hardware is pricey and you could end up spending your whole budget on a long console table for the hallway ($875-to over $1,000), but if it's perfect, then maybe it's worth it. You could always add art over time. Pottery Barn has a 72" long table and an 84.5" long table, but they're 16" and 17" deep -- priced at $599 and under. Lastly, if you are into it, you could have a carpenter build you a box table for very inexpensive and fill it with river stone (or some other thing that you like). The cost to cut the glass for the top would probably be around $110 based on my own experience.
July 10, 2014 at 7:50AM        Thanked by newhomegal
robinglazier
More pics re: above response - these planks can be found on eBay and/or Etsy
July 10, 2014 at 7:51AM        Thanked by newhomegal
Rhonda Bovine
okay, I see, thanks!. It's really pretty space. In several of these examples, there are smaller rugs at the door that coordinate with a runner, if you want to designate that space due to the doorways.

And I think I would definitely choose a rug first, before accessories or a bench, etc and I would bring home several (runners & 6x9) on approval to get the colors and size/shape that you love and view it in your natural light and work from there. I am wondering if the 6x9 might overwhelm this area, as it will cover almost all your hardwood, so I still think a gorgeous runner will give inspiration for the art to follow.

Do you think sconces will work on either side of the door with your alarm there?

Do you already have art that you love that you want to use in this space? There are great articles on grouping artwork for display on houzz.

]
July 10, 2014 at 8:23AM        Thanked by newhomegal
anne dee
a larger hall table/cabinet and a large framed mirror.
this would be in keeping with the budget.
A hall table with drawers would be practical for holding keys/etc.+ a bottom shelf for extra storage
inspiration pic

July 10, 2014 at 8:38AM        Thanked by newhomegal
Substantial table with substantial base needed. I have one with drop leaves and a carved trestle base that is about 88" long. Something like it (almost dining table length) would work wonderfully there.
July 10, 2014 at 8:50AM        Thanked by newhomegal
Shakúff
You have such a beautiful entryway - those floors are to die for! I agree the table is too small, whatever you get whether it be a table or a bench...it should be longer. A hall runner would look lovely as well, although those floors are such a gorgeous color I wouldn't hide them too much! ;) Maybe one large statement art piece as well instead of smaller ones.

I love your tall ceilings as well! We've made fixtures for big spaces like that.
July 10, 2014 at 9:33AM        Thanked by newhomegal
G. M. Roth Design Remodeling, Inc
A long narrow runner and some greenery would look great in that space! Something like this...
July 10, 2014 at 12:54PM        Thanked by newhomegal
Lowes West Chester
I would suggest the table be wider and longer. The scale is off at the moment so that is why it is not working with the art and or adding chairs to either side. center the table on the catwalk add a semi flush light there at the catwalk add a 30" wide runner the length of the space and add larger art work on the wall. Dont use that table as your scale marker, Use the actual space to scale out everything else that will go there. I hope this helps I didnt read the other comments but I am sure I maybe repeating others.
July 11, 2014 at 12:24PM      Thanked by newhomegal
Margaret Stephenson Interior Design
You could paint the end wall a slightly darker shade of white. This would bring it forward visually. And, in fact, I would be tempted to paint the wall under the staircase a very soft pastel, perhaps a soft green, blue, or apricot, or, if you want to stick with white, a very soft beige. Any of these would then look very good behind your bench, long table, or small side chairs that others have suggested. A 7-foot wide hallway is quite a generous space, so you have something to work with there, and a beautiful floor. You could put a runner down it, but I would advise avoiding stripes, as this would make it look more like a hallway and less like a room, which I think is the concept you should aim for. If you change the color of that wall under the staircase, by the way, keep the baseboards and other trim white. I assume there is a corridor coming in from the left side of this hallway at a right angle. If that is so, then you might hang a mirror over your small table facing that, and placing that as a side table to your bench, then some (I think, larger) picture or pictures over the bench. And a plant somewhere is a good idea.
July 11, 2014 at 10:26PM        Thanked by newhomegal
tlchancellor
I agree with a lot of what was said here...the front door does seem small and drab compared with the rest of your home from what I can see. If you can spare the extra money, replace and widen the door to give it the grandeur everything else seems to have. one thing you need here is more light and a focal point as you enter and leave. The table here is from Restoration Hardware $715, looks textural, has some bulk without over doing it and has character like a family piece that's been restored...not leggy or small. The mirror is from Pottery Barn, (believe it was near $300 or less) mixes up the lines, adds reflective light and focus, practical too for quick glances before you leave and brings height to break up long wall. Use two of these lamps (Pottery Barn), fill with shells, driftwood, or stones to bring in natural element and play against the elegance of the lamps lines and materials. The slight bulk of the lamps will bring your eyes up more and seem more grounded than the one small thin lamp you have now. Move all of this much closer to your stair landing, about center of that wall. As you can afford it, add area rug just to this central area to again break up the space and bring focus to this special entry space. Perhaps add an slim upholstered chair near the stair landing point in towards this space or a storage ottoman to either side of the table. If the wall still screams for more art, which it probably will, consider two pieces hung on each side one over the other. These can be four related works, family pics, or simply similar colored frames...they don't even need to be the same size. This is a great space and thanks to the other pics I could tell it wasn't nearly as long as I first thought but still plenty of room to play. Enjoy, it takes time but you will get there.
July 11, 2014 at 11:41PM        Thanked by newhomegal
tlchancellor
One last thing I forgot, if you can't replace your front door, consider trimming it out more with grander molding, it will make it look larger in the overall space.
July 11, 2014 at 11:44PM        Thanked by newhomegal
rustyand
Don't forget lighting on long table,and some round artwork or a mirror on the walls.
July 12, 2014 at 11:44AM        Thanked by newhomegal
lsemartha
A ceiling light appropriate to the style of the house just in front of the doorway would help, paint in a cooler, lighter shade (soft, warm gray perhaps) with white trim, as long a console table as you can find to replace too small table (preferably with a few small drawers across the top to assign to family members for keys, phones etc), tall and large substantial mirror above the left side of console with a glass lamp in front of left side of mirror (see photo 2 comments above), with a tall simple white orchid to the right of the mirror to balance out the arrangement. Not a fan of being able to see into butler's pantry. Would look into having a custom pair of shutters made to close that off visually.
July 13, 2014 at 5:51AM      Thanked by newhomegal
uberv
Something custom and not too expensive from etsy with a live edge would work well with the hand scraped floor.
July 13, 2014 at 6:58AM        Thanked by newhomegal
Anne Carlson
let the tiny things go; tiny plants, lamps, wall art, etc, and have huge artwork, long table or long bench, long rug down hall, an eye-catching color theme, make a big statement, make the design have function
July 13, 2014 at 9:01AM        Thanked by newhomegal
Loribeth - Moments of Art
The reason you don't like the artwork above your table is because it is placed too far apart and it is hung at an angle that different than the angle of your staircase. They look too random, and your eye immediately doesn't like the competing angles when you view it from down the hallway.

You'll like the artwork much better if it is centered over the table, level horizontally, spaced evenly 1-3 inches apart, hung 18-20" above the top of the table. I would also recommend getting more substantial frames. The thin frames the art is in now gets lost, so the art almost looks unframed, which isn't formal enough for the table. If you had four pieces of art instead of three, I'd recommend hanging them in a grid, which would be more appealing.

As far as chairs go, I would not use two chairs. Get one nicely upholstered chair to put on the right side of the table. Don't put the chair right up against the wall, angle it way from the wall in towards the table to make it more welcoming. Move the table lamp to the right side of the table. The shade will block the art a little, but that's okay. It adds depth, which adds interest. Your house isn't an art museum, so the art doesn't have to be completely visible.

I attached a picture with a few of my ideas. It doesn't include all my ideas.
July 13, 2014 at 10:50AM      Thanked by newhomegal
lyonsrita
Wow! nice space! I liked Rhonda B's 'entrance-mudroom idea, but if you want a more casual look, here's an similar idea....multicolor braided or 'farmhouse-type' runner. X-large family picture on staircase wall, surrounded with smaller family pictures, framed kids drawings or signage (family, home, love etc.) Longer, more substantial bench with basket cubbies underneath for mittens/sports equipment/ dog leash, whatever. Can't see depth of corner of far wall but maybe a narrow corner cabinet there? You have a beautiful home from what is shown, hope I could help a little! :)
July 13, 2014 at 11:35AM      Thanked by newhomegal
Loribeth - Moments of Art
I wanted to add... If you are not in love with those three art pieces you current have on the wall, then get rid of them and go with one large piece of art... or even two large pieces. Here's a picture from my house that shows what I mean about large art pieces. It's an older picture, because I now have a lamp on the table, and there isn't all the stuff under the table. But I wanted you to see how large art can make a huge difference.
July 13, 2014 at 11:48AM      Thanked by newhomegal
neoklis
Why not have a nice big illustrious mirror above that table and leave the art for a different corner?
July 14, 2014 at 6:46AM      Thanked by newhomegal
Rhonda Bovine
Yikes, Lyonsrita, I certainly didn't mean a mudroom type entrance at the front door! Sorry, if that's what an antique bench sounds like with a lovely oriental runner! I was just looking at the picture and it appears that she already has a pass-through ledge in this same hallway, and a bench or seating area might be a change from a tabletop surface which kind of repeats the pass through. Artwork and mirrors are all great ideas, especially the specifics on how to hang the art. The blend of ideas and thoughts are what make Houzz so great, have fun, newhomegal!
July 14, 2014 at 7:05AM      Thanked by newhomegal
newhomegal
thank you all. This entrance is not used on a daily basis by the family. We come in through a 3rd car garage door, so I really don't need a key, back pack, etc catcher. I have been on the hunt for some tables and art work that could work for the space. this is what I have been leaning towards. Adding in some different lighting too. unfortunately budget is limiting me. I really do appreciate all your ideas. The door is really large and heavy but hard to tell in these photos as the iphone makes it look small. It is an 8 ft door. The French doors on either side are also 8ft. My dog already piles up the rug when the front door rings, so a runner would be even more of a mess. My style is coastal with a touch of traditional and modern mixed.
July 14, 2014 at 7:24AM     
Loribeth - Moments of Art
I love the art piece you just posted. I think that would look wonderful in the space. The lighter wood table would give it a less formal feel, and more of the coastal look you like. Since you don't use that entrance very often, you could get a wider table and slide it down more, possibly center it between the doorway and the foot of the stairs. I thought you used the table for collecting keys, etc., so I didn't suggest that before.
July 14, 2014 at 9:08AM        Thanked by newhomegal
onthecoast1
Because you have so much wall space, I would avoid the long tables that are open on the bottom. I would get a buffet cabinet that has cabinet doors on the bottom because you need something weighty along the floor in that long space, especially since you have no wainscoting or anything decorating the wall itself. You need to get the longest buffet you can find -- I found one 6 feet long on Craigslist for $120. (I paid $100 for it). I would put 2 matching lamps on the buffet with larger shades on them than the shade you have in your picture. Then find one large mirror or piece of artwork to hang above the buffet. If the other end of the area looks bad empty, I would get a bench to put there, centering it between the end of your long buffet cabinet and your bottom stair. You could do a small gallery wall type arrangement above the bench that could angle down with the angle of the wall. It is a beautiful entryway! I'd start looking on Craigslist for a huge buffet. Good luck!
July 14, 2014 at 9:54AM      Thanked by newhomegal
Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
I love Judy's bench idea. It's both sytlish and functional though the tables that robinglazier posted look absolutely stunning, all of them!
July 14, 2014 at 11:32AM      Thanked by newhomegal
janofbagend
I'm an architect so put up with me! The hall is too long and narrow. It needs an architectural solution. It should have a wall with a large open doorway to visually divide the room into two spaces. The first space could be an entry with no furniture, just some art. The second space would be a very attractive with a bench or a table. If the space itself is awkward it is very hard to make it look good. Walls are really inexpensive.
July 14, 2014 at 3:14PM      Thanked by newhomegal
newhomegal
What is a Margart?
July 15, 2014 at 7:04AM   
bluenan
Darn Chinese translator.....lol!
July 15, 2014 at 7:15AM     
granny4five
Hall runners look cheap and cheezy.
July 15, 2014 at 7:44AM     
dempsey2012
I believe in combining practical and decorative. Remember, this is a front entrance. Yes, a longer, more rustic table to complement your beautiful floors. Lighting to brighten the area, Chinese elements that come from the more rustic side of that theme and a statement mirror along with groupings of art and finally a slim runner to warm up the space and pull your colours together. These elements will be practical: space for your keys, gloves, etc; a mirror for a quick look at yourself or for guests to check themselves after taking off coats, hats, etc.. It will also give you more space to display seasonal decor and have a large vase for added colour and natural elements. Loved the picture with the console that had the carved wooden animal under it. An open wooden chair for people to remove boots that has an Oriental rustic theme would also be a good addition. I like your door but I do think the colour of your walls is rather bland and does not enhance your fabulous floors. I think you could add more drama to your entrance with a bolder colour pulled from the runner you choose. As for cost, the Craigslist or Kijiji suggestion is good, especially if you are willing to refinish the piece to suit your theme.
I think you have a great canvas to work with.
July 15, 2014 at 7:54AM   
basque64
IF budget permits, I would also take a "loft" across where the floor curves at top and join the bridge to the wall also remove the 3 stairs. It would look less cut up and give you a great sitting room "biblioteque" I would also mirror the stairwall to make it look wide open and put in recessed spotlights that highlight your artwork.
July 15, 2014 at 5:30PM     
roshange
First thing I thought of was paint. Looks like everything is white at the moment. Chose two colors that are close to each other but not the same - perhaps two shades of the same color--and decide which goes where (include the ceilings and stairs) to emphasize the architectural interest that is already there. I like the bench and runner idea as well and think all could be coordinated somehow. Throw in a couple 3 dimensional items of beauty that sit on the flooor at differing heights--add interesting sconces on the stair wall or flanking the pass through.
July 16, 2014 at 4:05AM     
grandmariver
Install a series of light tubes in the hallway ceiling (I see natural light up there) to illuminate the dark hall. Take advantage of the area under the stairs and cut in a few shelves and put in a cohesive collection of your choosing. Across from the shelves. a long skinny bench, or an unusual, colorful material hanging.
July 16, 2014 at 4:15AM   
Interiors Unleashed
You already have great architectural interest. I agree with many here, proportion and scale is important. You don't need much in your entry hall, but it should be larger than what you have. You might consider visual separation of the front door area vs the rest of the hallway by using a rug, such as has been suggested. You could put another rug in the back section and use it to ground your table/lamps/ wall art/bench….. There are already great ideas here. Gorgeous space to work with, enjoy and experiment a little.
July 16, 2014 at 5:29AM   
babyblue1588
runner and longer more substantial console table with gallery wall, art, mirror, lamp or whatever you like over it
July 16, 2014 at 7:20AM     
matilda67
By all means add a runner, don't know how long the hall is but 2 runners may be call for rather than just the one. Love the fact that the hall is wide. We did something similar when custom building our home. A real bonus when having elderly parents in the home, as are wider interior doors.
July 16, 2014 at 7:27AM   
Art Consulting Online LLC
Interesting space. We have dogs too, and they love to scrunch up rugs also. Your floor is beautiful, so I would spend the money on art, not a rug. It seems like the real problem is that you have a long thin space, probably too narrow to accommodate a traditional hall table. You were right in saying that the one you have placed there in the photos is too small, but the main problem is that your front door is where you welcome guests, and any table there blocks a friendly greeting place. Another intrusion into the narrow space seems to be that counter that sticks out into the hall from the butler's pantry. Do you use it? It looks like you've placed some decorative objects there as a way of using it. Perhaps it would be better to get rid of it. I would recommend hanging a mirror over the opening and slicing off the protrusion into the hall. If you have a big party and want to use that access to the butler's pantry, you could just remove the mirror for the evening. I would love to see the light, narrow table you included in one of your reports placed on the stairwell side down near the end of the stairs because the last step sticks our into the hall space anyway, with a lamp that would reflect in the mirror opposite. Just one or two objects on the table instead of lots of little ones would be best. And I would hang a series of prints with simple imagery. Yours are too detailed for the space. Here are some suggestions within your budget: http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1937, http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1938, and http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1939, hung as a series of three on one wall, if there is room, or the two smaller ones on one side and the larger one on the other side. If you only have room for one, here are two ideas, both within your budget: http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1956 http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1147
July 16, 2014 at 10:31AM     
Art Consulting Online LLC
Oops. I forgot to say that when you hang several works of art in a room, you need to hang them at the same height. 60 inches from the center of each work of art to the floor is usually the best. It helps hold the space together. Have fun and good luck. Your hallway has great potential.
July 16, 2014 at 10:36AM     
KShoa
I think those walls can handle very large artwork. Check out my artwork for ideas. I have many large canvas prints that might look good there.

Available work here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Currently running a 15% off sale plus free shipping of canvas prints to US.

I think your current setup is too small in scale, both the table and the artwork, as others have mentioned.

Enjoy decorating!
July 16, 2014 at 11:39AM     
judiy
You might try a narrow table made with old wood in your chosen width, and placed on 2 corbels, or try glass on the old corbels. You can find the large corbels at a salvage company. I agree that a rug is needed.
July 16, 2014 at 1:34PM     
ckmax
I would put a runner down the hall with a bold geometric print. Maybe a navy and white chevron stripe or something. I would also move the table down so it is anchoring the artwork a little more. It may be too small for the space, and you may need to add some more art, like a collage arrangement.
July 16, 2014 at 2:02PM        Thanked by newhomegal
Ferris Zoe Design
a picture is worth a thousand words. here is a composite i created for you. lots of the comments here on your entry are good. the most important thing is to make it a welcoming & important part of your home (like curb appeal). i do not know what existing accessories & furnishings, art, etc. you have, so these ideas would have to be adjusted to your personalities, color preferences, etc. bottom line, it has to be brightened up. i don't know why there's a pass through to a butler's pantry. it seems like someone had a thought about it, but i don't see a reason for it being there, and especially with a shelf impeding space into the entry. if you add a mirror as suggested by someone, then be sure it is reflecting back what you want to see....definitely not a view into the "butler's pantry." light it up, lots. brighten it up, lots. create interesting objects and art to set the stage with your personal welcoming message to your guests, even if your guests are your family.
July 17, 2014 at 4:35PM        Thanked by newhomegal
Hometahn Photos
I agree with the comments that you could part a few large pieces of artwork on your walls. When buying a framed piece, numbers sound big at the time, but you usually need something larger than what you think to really look good on your walls (16x20 for example, is on the smaller side for a blank wall). Put some nice large photos of your family up there-perfect space for it! Otherwise (or and), you could really change things up there with a nice, bold color-wouldn't have to be crazy, but you have a lot of neutrals there, which look kind of bland since there's there not much else going on in that space. Keep the white trim and it will look great! (and if you did get framed photos, you could have white frames to go with the trim that would really pull things together) Good luck!
July 17, 2014 at 6:05PM     
basque64
I had forgotten about the opening to the butler's pantry and agree with Ferris, cover it up and put in a wow piece of artwork. I would also put in a sisal runner, too "stiff" for dogs to scrunch and dogs can learn quickly. I would still mirror it and creat a light, welcoming entryway.
July 17, 2014 at 10:29PM        Thanked by newhomegal
rustyand
very nice.
.
July 18, 2014 at 10:41AM        Thanked by newhomegal
trm14yo2013
You might try adding more decorations
July 18, 2014 at 10:45AM      Thanked by newhomegal
HI -- No console or table or pass through . On the stair wall , I would have a big fancy framed standing floor mirror closest to the front door . Then a very long wood garden bench . Place a table lamp on the end or each end (can sit on some books )of the bench instead of using a table . Maybe a basket or two under and a throw draped casually. Hang some Art behind (not stepped)like two framed prints or a big painting . On the other side , either cover over the opening and have a another painting or a décor piece there. Or have closed wood shutters put on. A nice runner rug . Add a more prominent casing /molding around the front door to make it look more important .
July 18, 2014 at 11:02AM     
herladyship92
I agree with others have done, a long carpet runner in a vibrant colour and a re-paint of the space with some clustered artwork on the walls. And either a long bench or a church pew? We were able to get an old church pew for a song - and you could paint it any colour...
July 19, 2014 at 3:08PM     
sandmitch
I would put a mirror over table
July 19, 2014 at 3:13PM   
newhomegal
Follow up. Thank you all for your suggestions. A shopping trip to home goods and we are all set. Long runner. Long bench bigger art work mirror check.
August 1, 2014 at 6:39PM     
pcmom1
I just found this. When you can, I would go in the same direction, only bigger. Bigger, longer rug and more substantial bench (church pew!). Everything takes time.

Just noticed a post above suggested a church pew!
Fairy Lake Home
Antique Church Pew
August 1, 2014 at 6:47PM     
charryj
The items you have are lost in the space. I don't like the pass through. I think the suggestion of a bench and much larger rug larger art. Lighting is important so maybe a large table , two lamps, mirror or picture. Please stay away from a lot of little items. Your space calls for large.
August 10, 2014 at 1:09PM     
Rhonda Bovine
The artwork is nice, and adds some nice color. I think the bench needs to be more substantial, with a back or try a longer console table to anchor the art, similar to the very first picture you found. I like the design of the rug, but, again, it should be wider & longer for the space.
August 11, 2014 at 8:20PM   
mcr1288
change the front door to allow more light, longer and wider runner, longer hall table, decorate with a lamp, books, etc.
August 12, 2014 at 5:33AM   
Help!! My entry way needs help!!
We just bought this house and the entry way needs your...
Is there any help for this entry way. Need HELP
I really need help in trying to figure this area and...
Need help with Entry Way & Landscape!!! Please help
We want to turn our home into a more modern design...
Need help with MCM entry way
We are in the middle of our remodel project and I'm...
Need help with deciding what kind of paint color in the entry way!
I have high ceiling entryway with an arch window and...
Brick colonial plus addition - examples of exterior that works
One of our biggest concerns is that a two story addition...
Kitchen too Dark
My kitchen cabinets are cherry. My counters are black...
I need help picking the right granite for my kitchen
We have painted, put M marble down and now I'm having...
Something Missing
Looking for ideas! I feel as though something is missing...
Tiny powder room remodel ! Need advice.
We recently purchased our first home. This is our first...