Office - How to decorate open shelves
nodeerhere
I've just had cabinets and shelving intalled in my home office. I realize I've not been wise about the design of the upper shelves. What do you suggest I put on the shelves? They seem too large and too tall for photos.
Maureen
I think you're just going to have to experiment with items and placement and once you get it right, it will look great. You will also achieve better balance if you add something substantial in the large middle area - sets of black and white prints or a large rectangle print. Lowcountry Residence; Maryanna
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 10:18AM
Keep it big, grouped in pairs, threes, fives or sevens. Do you have a collection to display? If you wish to mix decor and books use 1/3 books, 1/3 decor and 1/3 open space. You might find that painting the white back of the shelves in your accent color really adds up decor-wise.
The Commons
Steiner Ranch Residence
My Houzz: Eunice's Home
Bedroom
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 10:20AM
Wessel LED Lighting Systems, Inc.
@wesselled.com #30001807 this LED extrusion has approximately a 45-degree angle, it is perfect for illuminating cabinets, shelves and counters. Available with a clear or opaque lens.
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 10:36AM
nodeerhere
decoenthusiate: the background is not white. It is cream and it's my wall color. I don't think I want to change the color. I don't have books to display. The photos you show are very nice but the shelves are much smaller than mine. I don't have really tall pieces.
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 11:08AM
nodeerhere
Maureen: very nice photos. My shelves seem too big for books. Looks like framed art or very interesting items like you show would work nicely.
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 11:11AM
Maureen
You could use books, but lay them down - which also makes it interesting. See my first pic top shelf. Have fun.
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 11:21AM
nodeerhere
Maureen: yes I did that in my previous home with very old books. Decided not to move the books. The real dilemma is the big 3 foot tall shelves.
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 11:26AM
Maureen
Are you referencing the two top shelves...they are 3 feet?!! A collection of masks and pottery. Lyke Residence - 2Scale Architects;Library;San Francisco Mid Century
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 6:34PM
nodeerhere
Yes they are square, about 3 x 3. Wish I had realized sooner.
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 7:02PM
Hit the second hand shops, flea markets to find interesting large pieces to fill them. Otherwise you'll just have a boring set of shelves. You have built-in an opportunity for yourself here if you can just wrap your head around it.
0 Likes   Thanked by nodeerhere    July 11, 2014 at 8:12AM
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
You could add shelves. Is this wall supposed to be decorative, functional or a combination?
0 Likes   July 11, 2014 at 8:13AM
Maureen
They will be fine with the right larger pieces...buy, bring home and it not right, return. You'll find the right items. Keep a bit of a theme to make the whole bookshelf work together.
0 Likes   Thanked by nodeerhere    July 11, 2014 at 8:20AM
abbyjean
I think you are going to be very happy with this space once the shelves are taken care of. GREAT advice to find art for those square areas.....ones with lots of color, but not a lot of detail as the eye cannot appreciate it there enough. You will, though, by having the space filled in and color added. They can lean/be propped and something placed in front that corresponds to the piece is always nice, too.
0 Likes   Thanked by nodeerhere    July 11, 2014 at 8:30AM
Open shelving/office area
At the top of our stairs is a built-in bookshelf/office...
Sally Henry
Decorative/storage items on high shelves in office: yes or no?
I finally got my L-shaped desk installed in my tiny...
kmasj
General decoration ideas for 1700 sq. ft open plan office
Hi all, My company is moving to a new office soon....
yannispsarras
decorating shelves on an old english open hutch
decorating shelves on antique open china hutch
rileywinkler
Open shelving tv unit decorating
I'm just wondering how I should go about what to put...
hayleebould
Bathroom color please advise!
I have just renovated a small bathroom. The wall tile...
kodiebear
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
Where to put all our kitchen items
Hi all. We are in the last steps of our kitchen redesign...
Laura Pasek
Wall color???
Hi! I am decorating my house, and I need help for choosing...
babygong
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats