Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pslang

Do I need a backsplash on my bathroom sink?

pslang
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I'm updating my master bath. I'll be putting in new tile, countertops, shower and replacing built in tub with free standing. In my opinion, there are no easy/desirable ways to put backsplash on sinks and carry around corner where tub will be. I also don't like the idea of putting a backsplash to match sink top (quartz) and stopping it at the end of the quartz sink top. Do I need to put a backsplash on my sink top? I'm thinking I will put new mirrors over the sinks, either leaving just a bit of wall between the two or having them touch the quartz sink top. I would love some advice!

Comments (10)

• pslang
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I thought this photo of the shower might also be useful.
  • Gina P
    9 years ago
    I would recommend putting in some type of backsplash. Even if you hang your mirrors very low water can still get behind and cause major problems. Save yourself the headache. If you don’t like the look of a traditional backsplash why not tile the entire wall behind your sink
  • Sylvia F
    9 years ago
    I'm having the same issue. With a vanity countertop that has no back edge, water can get behind, so it makes sense to have a backsplash. I'm putting in a tall mirrored medicine cabinet but could install it a little above so that the backsplash will show. Will use the same treatment as around the tub, for unity of design. Am trying to decide if I want it to continue behind the toilet to connect to the tub surround. Cover the whole wall down to the floor or just a strip??? Would a strip look strange?
  • whynotdecorate
    9 years ago
    Love the idea of tiling the whole wall if you can swing it. Makes for a really rich looking room.
  • Sylvia F
    9 years ago
    Yes, I have to think about that. Of course, then the question is, to do the opposite wall as well??? $$$
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I realize this is a very old post but since I am in the midst of renovating four bathrooms two of which required full demolition due to a new layout; I did not see any problems of rot etc. around the areas of two separate vanities that didn't have a backsplash. In summary, they must have been sealed properly with silicone; a product also used to seal around bath tub areas which BTW usually is tiled and has a waterproof wallboard the latter of which could be applied to a vanity area. Hopefully this information will help those who are experiencing the same dilemma.

P.S.: Silicone comes in clear and is paintable and if applied well is not visible. Also, ensure you use a paint that is recommended for bathrooms which is far easier to maintain than grout in between tiles.

pslang thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@pslang: I see that you may not have started your renovation yet so here are a few things that I have learned vie trial and error: IF planning on using a mirror a) from what I have read, recommended distance from the countertop is 3" - 6" at least, however much will depend on the size and style you are going to use plus lighting fixtures if any so you might wish to make templates of each, tack them on the wall above your vanity to see if positioning accommodates your needs (which will also include your personal height and even the type of faucet(s) being used). b) If wanting to use a full mirror that extends down to the counter top, they are often equipped with what they call a J-Bar which is a strip of metal in your finished choice that is applied on the top and bottom of the mirror. (Web search: J-Bar for mirrors for description i.e.: dulleglassandmirror.com) c) Also shall mention, re installation of your countertop faucet(s) ensure you leave enough room between it/them and the wall and/or the mirror's frame or if you choose to use a backsplash. In other words what ever set up applies. i.e.: Some single faucets have the drainage leaver on the back. I am not an interior or bathroom designer but hopefully some of these extra little tips will help you out.

• PRO
    Skyblu Design
    7 years ago

Looks great. Thanks for sharing the photo and the info!

• Teddi Zia
    5 years ago

Very nice!