Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracianderson

Cabinet/crown options

tracianderson
12 years ago
I am remodeling an existing kitchen. My cabinets are natural maple. The designer wants to add a thick crown molding in white above my existing maple cabinets to take them to the ceiling (similar to the thick crown I. This kitchen photo). The Crown would also be added around the kitchen. Will it look good to mix white with Maple???? I am a little worried :-/
Parkwood Road Residence Kitchen · More Info

Comments (7)

• PRO
    O’Hara Interiors
    12 years ago
    We would suggest not to mix white and maple. Going with a more natural maple might work better. It all really depends on the color of your maple, if it is more on the yellow side, white is not going to be a good choice but if it is a blonder maple, it might work out if you are careful in choosing your white paint color. Hope this helps!! Best of luck!

Martha O’Hara Interiors
    www.oharainteriors.com
  • tracianderson
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks for your comment!! They are more blonde, not yellow at all. There is about 12" above my cabinets that would now be a white thick mould. The paint in the room is not white. Should it be???? Counters will be carerra, with a glass/carerra back splash! Thanks for your good advice. I want it to look really good!
  • PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Traci, your designer might be able to pull this off. In my opinion, it depends on how high your kitchen ceiling is. Also, what are the base mouldings like in your kitchen --and house? With a tall ceiling, the white moulding...along with a sizable base moulding in white might look just great. I suggest thinking about the whole picture and how this moulding integrates into the whole house as well as the kitchen. Ceiling height is key.
  • tracianderson
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    My ceilings are just 8'. She wants to carry the new white mould around the entire kitchen, and even out into the great room near by. Base moulds are white and about 6". Cabinet guy says he can't match the maple, and the designer thinks the white will look great! I, obviously, am a little concerned and don't want to pay for the white above the cabinets unless it will be a big improvement and look great. I could just leave the maple cabinets as is with about 12" of space above.???? I appreciate all the suggestions, it helps!!
  • tracianderson
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks! My designer feels the same... does not like open space above cabinets!! She is VERY good. But, has not done this before...... she says it will just look like a soffit.
  • PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    12 years ago
    The soffit in the photo you are using as reference is lovely. What we can't see are your existing cabinet fronts. The moulding is very clean and looks very current. The kitchen cabinets and crown need to be married. I think it can look like a soffit. Keep it more vertical with little projection.
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH