Plain wall
megjobeth
Have added console table and mirror for interest. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Maria Smith
The table and mirror should be larger, they are not to scale with the size of the wall. I would look for a piece that fits better, maybe in black, or dark brown so it pops off the white wall. Love the baseboards and flooring btw!
July 12, 2014 at 6:51AM        Thanked by megjobeth
Jarret Yoshida Inc.
good start, but the proportions are wrong. like wearing pants that are the wrong size. make everything bigger. put the two frames next to one another and add a few more. it is too evenly balanced (which sounds odd, but asymmetry is more pleasing to the eye sometimes). good luck!
July 12, 2014 at 6:53AM        Thanked by megjobeth
hatetoshop
If you can't get a new table, you could beef this one up by painting it darker and topping it with a large basket, chest, bowl, or planter, then put a chair on either side.
Neutral Family Room
Historic Downtown
Los Angeles, CA Residence
King West Bachelor Suite
July 12, 2014 at 7:12AM   
Angel18432
The basket, bottom right, put it on top left and put the 2 candles on the right hand side - and try one of the little frames in front of the 2 candles. Do you have a spare chair you could put next to table?
July 12, 2014 at 7:39AM   
Maureen
Paint table black, add matching items on bottom shelf, add glass knobs on drawers and make a picture/mirror collage on wall to fill the space. Place both candlesticks together and one other larger item on the other side.

July 12, 2014 at 7:48AM     
megjobeth
The wall is an area that we walk past to get to the kitchen and it's fairly narrow, so I didn't want to go too big with the furniture. I was thinking of adding some portraits on the wall and maybe a chair beside the table. Wondered if that will just make it look too busy...
July 12, 2014 at 9:25AM   
Mirens Inc
The table should be twice as wide. It would be nice if it's in a darker color. The white wall is a bit plain. How about add some wallpapers? Or paint the wall an accent color? Or add some photos and wall arts around the mirror to create a gallery wall?
July 12, 2014 at 9:33AM     
megjobeth
Don't have a particularly nice chair though...
July 12, 2014 at 9:35AM   
S&A Decor
wallpaper
larger mirror and stand, they are way too small for this wall
July 12, 2014 at 9:39AM   
megjobeth
What if I put nice ottomans on either side and pictures on the wall.. Could I get away with this size table?
July 12, 2014 at 9:43AM     
megjobeth
Here's another problem- I just had the table custom made and painted and it was a bit expensive. I'd always meant to put it at the side lose to the stairs and not centre it, but it looked better closer to the centre. I can see it's small, but before I go and get something else I'm desperately hoping there's another solution!,
July 12, 2014 at 9:51AM   
hatetoshop
It's already looking better. I think your ottoman idea might work well. Give it a try!
July 12, 2014 at 9:58AM      Thanked by megjobeth
megjobeth
Thanks to all who commented, this has been a really helpful process
July 12, 2014 at 10:00AM   
Brush_Bucket
Accent wall of Venetian plaster?
July 12, 2014 at 10:21AM     
megjobeth
Thanks, I may paint the wall an accent colour or maybe get a taller mirror with a darker frame for some contrast. I would like to add tapered charcoal grey velvet ottomans to either side. If it still looks to bland, I think I'll paint the wall an accent colour, maybe a shade of green or taupe-grey. This back and forth has helped me realize the major problem is the proportions are off--- the mirror is especially too small. I think the wall colour is maybe a tiny bit more subjective-- our house has small rooms and I'm e peri ending with pale walls and a more monochromatic scheme to add to the illusion of size. It's awful making expensive mistakes but I hope Zi can correct. Thank you all again for your help!!
July 12, 2014 at 10:38AM   
erinsean
Here is what I would try. Take everything off the table....lower the mirror (looks disjointed..not part of the grouping). Then get a lamp for the table, with birds or small pictures around the lamp...not both. Candles too tall and you have too many little things on the table. For the chair, you can use the one you have if you put a colorful cushion on it....maybe something with green in it to match the green basket you have under the table (which should be centered). You could even use a green throw over the back of the chair instead. If you like the brown basket on top, you could try that but I think a colorful small bowl ...maybe longish would look better.
July 12, 2014 at 11:30AM      Thanked by megjobeth
megjobeth
Interesting, more to think about, thank you for the suggestions...
July 12, 2014 at 12:41PM   
megjobeth
Hmmm...
July 12, 2014 at 12:48PM   
megjobeth
Removed the birds ("put a bird on it..." --Portlandia)
July 12, 2014 at 1:09PM     
Maria Smith
portlandia!
July 12, 2014 at 1:42PM   
claudiann
How about a tall slim plant next to the table? Or make the wall a gallery wall with art or mirrors.
July 12, 2014 at 2:26PM      Thanked by megjobeth
Take everything off/under the piece. Find one BIG, tall item and place it in front of the mirror.

Under , on the shelf, put one rectangular item...a tray or a basket.

Caron Street

Rattan Decorative Magazine and Multi-Purpose Basket
July 12, 2014 at 2:42PM        Thanked by megjobeth
Angel18432
Just a last comment. You are being such a sweetie trying everything. It takes time and you have to play with things. Also it takes time to accumulate things that you like. I find when I go looking for something - can't find it - but then when not looking - something speaks to me. Take your time and keep your eyes open for accessories you like.
July 12, 2014 at 2:47PM      Thanked by megjobeth
megjobeth
These are all great ideas though... it's a bit confusing but I'll keep trying. A plant would be nice but not sure the space has enough light. I will post again in future when I've switched things around a bit... Thanks again o everyone, this has been amazing!
July 12, 2014 at 4:19PM   
Beroza Flooring
If you are open to new things, consider painting illusion of a table! You can get new mirror or upgrade old one - it will still look good. It will be convenient both to place something on it but more importantly it will catch everyone's attention! 100%
July 12, 2014 at 4:42PM        Thanked by megjobeth
megjobeth
I was thinking maybe to change the mirror for a taller rectangular one. Not sure what you mean by painting a table. Love my little table-- may consider moving it next year when we build addition but for now am trying to work with it... Am thinking decorating house will take years as this little space is taking so much thought...
July 12, 2014 at 5:01PM   
megjobeth
The mirror I may get is a Restoration Hardware replica 19th century style glass on glass rectangular mirror-- it's the right size I think and tall enough so pictures around it won't look weird. Then I need to find the ottomans!
July 12, 2014 at 5:03PM   
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...
Exterior advice needed!
We're about to start a new remodel and need help on...
Need a rug for sunroom
I am looking for a rug for this sunroom. I have white...
Wedding photos?
After 4 years of procrastinating, I'm about to select/order...