Accent wall or not-is this a bad idea?
bmarie777
We are re-doing our guest bedroom and I am very on the fence about what we've started. The idea sounded great in my head, but now I'm getting nervous! Three walls have been painted a golden yellow...looks paler in the day and more golden at night...and we did one accent wall in a sort of muted brown. All the trim will be bright white, including the electrical plates etc. We also thought we'd try a white chair rail and maybe some framing....my hesitation comes because the room is not very large and is basically a rectangle. Is this too much? Am I going to hate this? I see lots of pictures of accent walls, but they seem to be mostly with white or ivory...should I paint all the walls yellow and ditch the accent wall? I should mention that the colors are taken from an ivory bedspread with nubby embroidery in these colors. It's more ivory and less embroidery. Help! Thank you!!!
dbellisario
I like the yellow. can you share a picture of the bedspread? also is the brown wall for the bed? I'm not a huge fan of them, but it could work if that is the bed wall.
July 12, 2014 at 6:50AM   
cctuttle
the accent wall is too close to the color of the floor. Consider painting it a shade or two lighter than the rest of the walls and don't ignore the ceiling - paint it the lighter yellow too.
July 12, 2014 at 6:54AM   
bmarie777
The accent wall is where the bed would go, yes. The color of the floor is actually quite different from the color of the accent wall, but I know it's often difficult to tell from photos. Also, there's a drop cloth down.
July 12, 2014 at 7:08AM   
lagwagonshow
I disagree about painting the ceiling yellow. This is a pretty bold color, painting overhead will box the room in too much and push the ceiling lower. Maybe a different white to match the casing and baseboard, or even a very light grey to contrast against the walls.

In any case, don't sweat it too much. Painting is so easy, fast, and inexpensive, a bit of trial and error is not going to hurt anyone.
July 12, 2014 at 7:16AM        Thanked by bmarie777
cctuttle
I would only paint the ceiling the lighter shade of the wall yellow...but light gray would be nice too but not with the darker accent wall. Love the yellow but not crazy about the accent wall. bmarie777 You are right about colors not translating well over the computer...
July 12, 2014 at 8:34AM      Thanked by bmarie777
Adding character to new construction
I know you can always add character with furniture,...
linear fireplace / tv in corner
I would like ideas for making walls look taller/ceiling...
Front of Cabin (Exterior)
We have a cedar-sided lake cabin & love the front porch...
1940 Brick House needs Curb Appeal Facelift
We just bought this house. Need to add some curb appeal....