Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjgret

Need help deciding on best resale potential for Master Bath resale

rjgret
12 years ago
Double vanity with (jacuzzi tub only) no shower vs. single vanity with a walk-in corner shower. See attached plans (sorry for the crude drawings). Thanks for your help.
No shower, double vanities
Single vanity w/shower

Comments (15)

• rjgret
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks for the tips Amy. Your advice will definitely be considered.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    12 years ago
    I won't claim to know a lot about resale, I don't. I just know I would never want a master bathroom that didn't have a shower. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
  • Amy The Hun
    12 years ago
    Sorry for the confusion. 5 piece means, tub, shower, toilet and 2 sinks.
  • PRO
    Precision Designs
    12 years ago
    I think you would be better off with the shower and the double vanities and lose the tub altogether and close in the toilet area if you have the room. I am seeing more master baths without tubs in the houses I am designing. Just make sure the shower is a nice size.
  • jenzi
    11 years ago
    Oops! I accidentally voted for no shower. . .you must have a shower! A bathroom without a shower (only a tub) reminds me of my grandmother's house that was built in the 1920's and never remodeled. It was quaint looking, but not functional by today's standards.
  • PRO
    Reico Kitchen & Bath
    11 years ago
    Keep the shower!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Is there a tub somewhere else in your house? If so, then go with the shower if you don't have room for everything. But try to fit a double vanity if you can. If you don't have a tub anywhere else in the house, then I'd probably opt for a shower/tub combo in this bathroom. It is hard to sell a house to families with small children without a tub.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Definitely a shower over double vanity.
  • PRO
    Eggleston Farkas Architects
    11 years ago
    I would say a shower is a must, UNLESS there is no other tub in the house.
  • rjgret
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for comments everyone...I think I should have added that there is another bathroom about 5 feet down the hall from this bathroom and it does have a shower/tub combo. Also if we did go with tub only, we would add a Roman-style hand shower to the tub. Let me know if that changes anyone's votes as we are still undecided for sure.

Thanks again for the help.
  • jenzi
    11 years ago
    The tub in your drawing looks like a two person type. Find out how many gallons it holds to be sure your hot water tank can handle it. My master has 5 pieces (as Amy described). The tub is a deep two person corner tub. When filled for a nice soaking bath It drains all of the hot water out of the tank! When we remodel I want to take out the tub and put in a nice walk-in shower.
    P,S. I love having a double vanity,
  • Ruth Barth
    11 years ago
    Excellent advice,covered all the bases and so practical.
  • Bond Girl
    11 years ago
    First priority -- shower. Second priority -- two sinks. Tub is not a priority, it's a personal preference. In a space crunch, I would ditch the tub altogether. What about two vanities flanking the windows? (Great look!) I recognize that this would make the shower long and thin, but a half wall against the toilet, with glass above and the door into the main part of the room would make it still seem open. If you really want a tub, consider a stand-alone tub. They are a huge space saver, and very on current -- those corner tubs are old-school, and will make your "new" bathroom look older before you're even done.
  • PRO
    Eggleston Farkas Architects
    11 years ago
    I have to agree with the comment regarding corner tubs (and showers, too). In general, breaking up a small room on an angle creates an inefficient use of space. Here's a possible layout for you to consider. The drawings you posted were not to scale, so I had to guess. Depending on the size of the room (which you might want to post so people can get a better sense of the amount of space you have to work with), you may be able to get a second sink or a linen closet. You can also include a storage cabinet above the toilet. I hope this helps.