To paint the woodwork or not?
stormyrunner
Dear Houzzers, I'm stumped & need your design experience. We bought this house which was built in the early 80s & is still lost there.
I've selected SW Blonde for kitchen & family room color but do I use this color up to the ceiling, covering this wood and make it disappear or wax the wood and make it part of the design. The floor is Saltillo tile. I'm also unsure what to do with this river rock fireplace other than put a reclaimed beam as a mantle up. Do I take down the stone & reface & if so, with what material? And one more important question, in the kitchen, you can see the soffit...I won't know til next week when we get the house whether it has electric hiding there...but if it does, do I paint that also to make it disappear? We're doing a lot of this ourselves, on a budget of course, and I want to spend my money on appliances & countertops & perhaps refacing cabinets....they're solid wood, ugly but solid!!! Desperately seeking suggestions for this first time poster...
Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps
Hi! If you are on a budget, I think you are on the right track to make cosmetic updates as the tile and cabinets are still very serviceable. The soaring ceilings are meant to give added height and spaciousness, but in their current dark stain, it just brings them back down. Typically darker colors help to ground a room which is why the floor tile is a keeper, certainly for now. The SW Blonde looks like it may pick up on the golden tones in the tile - great! I would paint out the soffit and vertical paneling the same color as your walls. With the fireplace, natural stone is always in style so it's about marrying the other finishes in the room to the stone so that it doesn't look out of place. Adding a mantel piece is a great idea - keeping the wood at least 12" from the fireplace opening for safety reasons. You could even box out the top section with drywall - check out this one from House Beautiful.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by stormyrunner    July 12, 2014 at 9:29AM
karenfae
I would paint the soffit and the upper wood all blonde, the cabinets white, and the island an accent color. You could face the island with beadboard for some texture. Glidden Door and Trim paint or Benjamin Moore Advance Waterborne Interior Alkyd are hard paints for cabinets.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by stormyrunner    July 12, 2014 at 9:41AM
Kristina Eckert - EvolveDesignBuild
There is so much going on, in which case I would paint cabinets, woodwork, ceilings and wall all in a nice creamy shade of white like benjamin moore swiss coffee. Your appliances are already white, so that will make everything look clean and pretty. If you want to accent the island in a different color (benjamin moore black fox?), that would be great, hard to tell what the surface is now from the photo.
    Bookmark   Thanked by stormyrunner    July 12, 2014 at 9:51AM
stormyrunner
Thank you guys so much. I'm not sure if I can go white in the kitchen...been pondering it but my preferences always lean to wood tones or black (love black fox color!). I plan on replacing appliances with stainless, back counter with ikea wooden countertop & do something else with island...build it up, beadboard the outside of it & not sure of counter yet..
There is so much going on here and the only thing I like is the floor. I want it simpler, a little rustic, Spanish colonial maybe? I don't know what to do with kitchen cabinets. I do know ill use SW fireweed along with SW blonde as I've used this combo before & I love it.
I'm going to follow my instinct, and your advice, and paint wood & soffit to the ceiling. So I should also paint the ceiling the same color?
1 Like    Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:11AM
Kristina Eckert - EvolveDesignBuild
I would paint the ceiling the same color
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by stormyrunner    July 12, 2014 at 10:18AM
Comwest Construction
You might have drywall behind the wood panels. if so I would remove them and paint the room the color you like. painting the cainets Blk would look great. you might consider a gray color or a dark green as well.
I would remove the fire place stones and maybe just put a small section of stone around yhe fireplace and drywall the rest. Good luck
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by stormyrunner    July 12, 2014 at 10:32AM
apple_pie_order
Here is a show house with SW Blonde paint and dark wood: 2008 Saratoga Showcase Home

More showcase photos are here: Project: 2008 Showcase

Even though the show house was in 2008, it has several current features because it was fashion forward at the time, like most show houses. For your place, I would paint the vertical panelling up top, paint the walls, and then decide about the soffit. It looks like there is fluorescent uplighting in the soffit. When you get possession of the house, take a look up there and see what is what. Often changing the lighting can make a huge difference in how dark cabinetry looks. It can go from drab to dramatic. Think about replacing the fluroescents with LEDs.

I'd also keep in mind the possibility of going one shade or two shades lighter than SW BLonde on the same paint chip card.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by stormyrunner    July 12, 2014 at 10:39AM
stormyrunner
@apple_pie_order...planned on going one shade lighter for hallway off these rooms & one shade darker for living/dining off these rooms but you're thinking lighter for the whole space or just ceilings? Love those showcase house pics btw...
    Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 11:42AM
apple_pie_order
About lighter paint options: just keeping in mind that the space may be darker than anticipated, and may need more lightening up once you have seen it during the course of a few days and evenings, even in summer.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by stormyrunner    July 12, 2014 at 11:56AM
stormyrunner
I should add we plan on changing the black splash too...to a do-it-yourself copper penny backsplash. Adventurous I know but really beautiful from what I've seen. All I need now is to figure out island counter surface. You've helped me decide to paint lower island SW Black fox.
We're also now deciding to take down some, not all, of the fireplace stone, to mantel height. Add some iron hardware & linen curtains, change furniture placement & voila, new room. I love all your ideas!!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 12:37PM
apple_pie_order
If you take down the fireplace stone, you may as well take it all off. THen you will have a clean slate, no pun intended.

Try the copper penny backsplash on a foot square piece of plywood or backer board. In fact, it may be easier to install as a couple of finished penny-covered boards than to press pennies in place directly (much easier on the neck and shoulders, too!). Once you have completed a foot or so, you can take photos, print, and paste them up to see how it looks. Adding undercabinet lights would add dramatic impact to the copper shine.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by stormyrunner    July 12, 2014 at 3:37PM
what is the actual paint color and woodwork paint color?
I am looking for a soft warm neutral paint color and...
mski2
Why paint the woodwork?
Everything is so alive and welcoming, but how I wish...
Elisabeth Clark
don't want to alway paint the woodwork white
can the woodwork be a lighter or darker version of...
jmle
Family Room Remodel - Paint Woodwork?
We are remodeling our 16 x 33 ft family room in our...
zekeross
I am debating on painting the woodwork in our family room.
I don't want to paint the kitchen cabinets and I didn't...
matalonis
we need a kitchen table
kitchen table that extends to 120 inches but only 30-36...
maxthecat63
Does this sconce work with this chandelier?
Trying to pick out a sconce to go with our chandelier...
magsmayers
color dilemma
I just want to know what 2 colors complement dark red...
Erica Fennelly
Help with our fireplace
We broke our bank with our house remodel and are left...
lisabarnum1
Help me choose some nursery details
Our first baby, a boy, will be here in April! The biggest...
bonnieanneryan