What stays what goes to change this kitchen?
laree22225
Our kitchen is nice.... but nice and dark... sadly it was just built in 2012. So I found the two tone light/dark color scheme I like. My question out there is this. We have a 4Lx4W island we want to extend to 6Lx4W which means we will have to get new granite :(. So in changing the color scheme as well to the light/dark cabinetry can I get away with the current granite and just buy a piece for the island? Can I do something to lighten the dark stone backsplash? Will the granite/backsplash class with adding the light cabinetry in? I know it doesn't appear dark in photos but these were "fancy" photos taken so I tried to also attach a real one with my iphone. I want to put in a large hood as well so I have included the color scheme and pics of what I would like to change the current kitchen in to. I just hate to gut a new kitchen if I don't have to. I however have no eye for design and dont know what can stay and what has to go to achieve this look.
carvercale
I think that the cabinets are gorgeous. I would try brighten it up by painting it brighter, yellow possibly.
July 12, 2014 at 10:12pm      Thanked by laree22225
Mary Porzelt of Boston Kitchen Designs
You can change the island to a lighter cabinet with a different granite. I am not confident that changing the hood to a different color is going to give you the look you want. Most times when you see that done successfully the hood is a big one and makes a huge statement. Your space, unless you rework the cabinets on either side of the hood is only 30".
July 13, 2014 at 6:06am      Thanked by laree22225
mom2hsm
love the idea of the island being different (cabinets and granite/marble). Other things to think about--when you replace your island do a larger, accent light fixture over the island; with white trim around your window you could try white shutters to lighten that corner (if you need for privacy, otherwise I prefer NO window treatments on kitchen windows!; try a different door on your pantry--something lighter or with frosted glass; and you could do a new backsplash (perhaps a mix of stone and glass) if you really wanted to change the look! Goodluck--you have a beautiful kitchen to play with!!
July 13, 2014 at 7:32am      Thanked by laree22225
Leslie Brooks
Go with a cream island and a bright paint.
July 13, 2014 at 7:34am      Thanked by laree22225
Patricia Colwell
I don't think you have the space to enlarge island, if you go out 2 ft. forward toward the eating area the fridge it will be in the way and if you go toward the right it doesn't look like there is enough room but it could just be the angle, Reminder to make sure you still have at the very least 36" all around that island.and 42" is much better for sure on the fridge side. If that works then I would do that look you like and use a lighter granite on the island. The hood will require you take out the cabinet above but no big deal if you are painting the cabinets but you will have to careful you get a smaller scaled hood to fit the space.
July 13, 2014 at 8:00am      Thanked by laree22225
laree22225
thanks everyone. I was going to 'rework' the back and remove all those cabinets to built the big hood like in the picture I put up. I am dying for a wood hood look. The island clearance by the fridge is only 30 inches currently :( no wonder it feels smushed. Should I scrap the entire 4x4 island and opt for like a 3Wx6L island to get more room around it? We are 'pushing back out table' or eating area to make more room for the island- including a pic of where the table will end up- we will have to carry the hardwood out into living room to make it work but how it sits now in middle of walkway does not work for us will all the kids going in and out to back yard. (have to change where the light hangs as well). Gonna swap the slider for french doors as well (kids and sliders are no good.) If I dont change the other granite how do I pick a new granite for island that works with old stuff? Any suggestions on backsplash to make the new light island/granite tie in with old? If I can get away with keeping the current granit and just do island that would be great... but I know I am gonna need to change the backsplash to help that work. Do I make the hood the same color as island?
July 13, 2014 at 1:08pm   
laree22225
the other 'wierd' thing is there is 2 feet of dead space by door that should be kitchen- the other side should match where the fridge ends it feels like. Hence what spurred the 'lets make island longer and add counter and cabinet to the dead space end and gain 2 feet of kitchen (we are a total kitchen family with a dad who loves to cook and 3 boys who love to eat :)- so the more room in the kitchen the better. Is this an incorrect design thought?
July 13, 2014 at 1:20pm   
vjs12
Can you put your table centered under the light? It looks like it is to far over into the other room.
July 13, 2014 at 1:31pm   
laree22225
Thats how it was previously yes but we are extending kitchen out so we need to move that light and move table over to accomodate
July 13, 2014 at 2:18pm   
vjs12
Maybe remove the kitchen set and build a table area onto the island extending into the dining area. There are lots of pictures on Houzz with kitchens like that. (I don't know how to add the pictures so you can see what I mean).
July 13, 2014 at 5:08pm   
Mary Porzelt of Boston Kitchen Designs
A 3x6 island will definitely be a better fit. I noticed the space at the end of the counter and was not sure why it was there. Perhaps you can use a cabinet from the island to fill the space. A good granite fabricator could use a piece of the island granite for this space.
I am glad you are thinking of reworking more than just the hood. You will need a larger hood that makes a statement with a dark cabinet on either side to get the look you show in your picture. Maybe one of these wall cabinets will fit next to the door. Once you place a wall cabinet there, you also need to think about your crown moldings.
July 14, 2014 at 4:33am      Thanked by laree22225
Circle Goods Reclaimed
I am liking the idea of a light island cabinet and one way to lighten the space up might be to use a cool wood top on the island!
July 14, 2014 at 9:41am   
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
Any downside to succulents on a verandah?
What has been your experience in planting succulents?...
Front door colour
I'm stuck with these house colours for awhile. Soft...
need curb appeal help!
Need help changing the look.We have already done landscaping...