Carpet or Hardwoods
aspano321
I'm redoing a basement family room. it's is fairly large, and i've had both carpet and hardwoods (engineered) down there in the past. the carpet made the room feel warm and cozy. The engineered, while beautiful and a bit more maintenance free, left the room feeling "colder", even with wool area rugs. additionally, i thought the area rugs made the room more "disjointed", if that makes sense.... doing the whole thing over again (due to water damage) and am leaning towards carpet again. but hubby wants wood. So, really boiling it down to resale value, and want to do a general poll of Houzzer's to see if the preference is for carpet or hardwood.
Hardwood is usually more desirable for resale.
July 14, 2014 at 5:32am        Thanked by aspano321
sarainitaly
hardwood. Have you thought about using carpet squares, on top of the wood, to create your spaces, and do away with the disjointed feeling? Easy to replace them, arrange them, and customize your space. And you can cover as much of your floor as you want.

July 14, 2014 at 5:43am   
aspano321
thanks sarainitaly! ironically, yes i was thinking about carpet tiles last week as i left work (my office has them). But i've nixed the idea already. I've chosen the wall to wall option i want, and the wood option. and Part of my dillema, is that i do LOVE the area rugs i have and they are nice wool rugs- but they made 3 very distinct areas in the room, which is why i think it felt disjointed/busy. those 3 areas wont really go away, but i thought maybe one tone/wall to wall would simplify it a bit. It's an L shaped room and i have the sofa/tv area, then a dining table/ chairs, then in the "corner" part of the L, kids play area. ugh. i've never been so wishy washy on a decision! heart says "need carpet... simpler, warmer, streamlined". the other part (and husband) says "what? you have an option to do wood, which is nicer and easier to maintain and you want carpet??" LOL. and he generally has NO design sense whatsoever.
July 14, 2014 at 6:31am   
Oak & Broad
Hardwood flooring would be head and shoulders above carpet for resale value. A good quality wood floor can last 100+ years... carpet not so much.
July 14, 2014 at 6:51am   
You are replacing due to water damage. If you think this is something that has a chance of reoccurring, hardwood would not be an option I would make. I have carpet in my finished basement and love the fact that it adds the warmth. Should I experience water damage, I think I would go with polished concrete and deal with the coldness but until then I am enjoying the carpet.
July 14, 2014 at 7:01am   
Harmoni Designs, LLC
Wood is preferable. Carpet is typically not recommend in basements due to high risk of mold build up below carpet. Even if you don't have moisture problems, it is very likely to work against you from a selling standpoint as it makes some buyers nervous to have carpet in the basement.
July 14, 2014 at 7:01am   
sarainitaly
What color laminate did you have before? Perhaps you need a warmer, darker tone, and that will feel warmer to you.
July 14, 2014 at 8:01am   
aspano321
Haromoni designs- GREAT point, thank you. it is a walk out/only partially below grade, but enough dampness that i do run a dehumidifier. so that is really something to think about. it's also considerably cooler than the rest of the house.

Margo- this was hopefully a one time occurrence- we had a broken pipe.

Sarainitaly- I do think the floor color was totally wrong before. it was a bit too orangey for me and always bothered me that it was different than the rest of the house. The rest of the house is a lighter/ash wood that has warmed up to a nice warm golden patina. i was planning on matching that up with a white oak floor (since i have to do engineered down there). But darker.. hm, i like it. Can i put something really dark down there when the rest of the house is a lighter wood?
.
July 14, 2014 at 9:38am   
sarainitaly
I don't see why not...

You might want to look into ceramic wood look tiles too. Won't have a problem with dampness, and are more durable than wood. We are installing them in our entire house (because we are doing under floor heating and I wanted the same flooring in the whole house). I know the Marazzi brand is really good. http://www.marazzi.it/en/ceramic-and-stoneware/collections
July 14, 2014 at 10:00am   
Replace worn carpet with carpet or hardwood
My 20 year old carpet in the upstairs of my traditional...
...to carpet or not to carpet the hardwood staircase?
We recently removed wall to wall carpeting (including...
Hardwood floors vs. carpeting in family room
We are remodeling an 1980's large family room. Currently...
what kind of wall to wall carpet will be best to mix with hardwood?
We are not wanting to spend the money on the bedroom...
Ceiling colour
Hi, Could you please tell me what colour I should paint...
Question about subway tile
Can you use subway tile on bathroom floors?
Exterior update
What can we do to spruce up the exterior of this house?...
HELP!!! WOOD-LOOKING TILE!
We found this picture online and we're hoping someone...