Island Sink Tidy - Where do you store detergent, sponges, brushes etc?
kiwinyc
We're moving to a house with a sink and dishwasher in the kitchen island and I'm looking for a storage solution for where to hide washing up paraphernalia. I've seen various 'Tidy bins' but don't want to leave them in front of the sink on display. In-sink tidies with suction cups are useless and end up slipping down dumping everything into the bottom and they don't hold detergent. What do you use or do?
tgb1
I use the beautiful hand soap and dishwashing soap combos from Williams Sonoma. They come in gorgeous colors and you can buy their chrome caddy to place on your countertop. They look so pretty on the countertop. If you don't have a drawer - I would prob leave the sponge in the small sink.
July 14, 2014 at 7:52am      Thanked by kiwinyc
Patricia Colwell
I have a very attractive simple stainless soap pump for dish soap and I store everything else in a stainless bin under the sink, I also must admit when I don't have company I have the bin on the counter, DW soap just in the cabinet so just scrubbie and dish cloth in the bin with a couple of other cleaners and I hang a tea toel on a suction hook under there too.
July 14, 2014 at 7:55am      Thanked by kiwinyc
sarahpost
I have a SS suction sponge holder in my sink, similar to this http://www.organizeit.com/suction-soap-dish-or-sponge-holder.asp

I keep a small bottle of dish soap that I keep in my sink, but my sink is a large, deep single basin and you can't see the bottle of soap unless you are standing right over the sink.
July 14, 2014 at 8:20am      Thanked by kiwinyc
Gina
You can install a soap dispenser right in your countertop. All you will have to do is have a professional drill a circular hole in your countertop where you want to insert it.
July 14, 2014 at 8:29am      Thanked by kiwinyc
adivra
I use an OXO soap dispenser brush which stays in the sink most of the time. Everything else in the cabinet under the sink. I bought a very nice suction thingy which I agree was useless. Home Goods is my go to for pretty hand soaps.
July 14, 2014 at 8:53am      Thanked by kiwinyc
(Lynn Goodwin) McAdams Remodeling & Design LLC
I would also install a soap dispenser in your countertop. There are different styles available and there might even be a matching one to your faucet. The hole can be drilled on site by a professional and it will keep your counters uncluttered.
July 14, 2014 at 9:04am        Thanked by kiwinyc
kiwinyc
Thank you all, lots of good ideas there. Never occurred to me to install a detergent dispenser into the countertop, I might investigate that.
July 14, 2014 at 1:29pm   
The best place for auto dish-washing detergent is under the sink. As far as sponges and scrub brushes I would opt for a stainless basket that can be attached to the sink and try to just store one sponge or brush to tidy things up. Less is more so if you can get by fewer items it will clean things up. Your countertop is so streamlined that I would be reluctant to add something that would clutter it up. Your sink may also have accessories that may work also. If you go on the sink manufacturer's website you will be able to check this out.
July 14, 2014 at 2:38pm   
What's your best housekeeping tip?
Occasionally my 12 year old daughter will clean the...
Need help for my kitchen
Hi I need help choosing a colour to paint above the...
Exterior color to complement red-orange brick
We need to replace some rotted trim wood, so we have...
How to achieve a classic/ elegant/ chic decor ( key pieces)
Please, help me to decor/ furnish my living room.