Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaytlyn_wismayer

Awkward Living Room Layout - HELP!

Kaytlyn Wismayer
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
My husband and I bought our petite century home about a year and a half ago, and I have rearranged the living room about 6 times trying to find the right flow. It's quite small (approx. 12.1 ft W x 19.4 ft L) with the added awkwardness of asymmetrical windows, and an entry door that opens right into the space. Ideally, I'd like to create 2 different seating areas, but I'm not sure how to divide the space. I was also considering installing a bookshelf/faux fireplace mantle along one of the walls to create a definitive focus. I've attached a picture from the original real estate posting, so imagine the space without any furniture or light fixtures. We're also in the process of getting a new entry door installed with a 3/4 craftsman-style glass insert. I can certainly take more pictures from other angles if needed. Any ideas/suggestions from my fellow Houzzers?

Comments (7)

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Can you take a pic from the door looking back into the space? We're seeing one full wall and two partial walls and no fourth wall.
  • Kaytlyn Wismayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This photo was taken shortly after painting, and is quite dark, but you get a feel for the other corner.
  • Kaytlyn Wismayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I think I will do some quick drawings tonight that show the room from each corner. I also have a drawing of some big dreams for the long wall closest to the door that I will post.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Great - I'll be looking for more info to come.
  • Kaytlyn Wismayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I've attached a pretty crude drawing of the living room dimensions, as well as a rough sketch of what I was thinking of doing along the long wall to the right in the 1st picture (just right of the front door).

What I need help with is:

a) Knowing where to place furniture in the room to create division, intimacy, and proper flow.

b) Whether my drawing plan for wall "A" is feasible, or will it impede with the flow of traffic from the front door, and/or overwhelm the room. Do these features (ie. fireplace, bookshelves, etc.) belong somewhere else in the room?

Ideas?
  • asba
    8 years ago

i'm not sure, but i love your sketch! Such cute artwork and hand writing

(that's all I can offer as a graphic designer, not an interior designer!)

• hogan
    8 years ago

I'd bring the sofa ahead towards the chairs and divide this space ..... Making the wall the sofa is on now using a long console table as a desk area and bring in some of your accent wall colour as cushions and accents for rest of place. Drapes from floor to ceiling in same colour as sofa