Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ofaidic7

Arranging furniture and rug size

crisoli
9 years ago
This is our living room, first of all we need a new rug and would love to find some advice about what size and style o colors to choose. I like the ones made out of cow hide patches but I'm afraid it would be just a fashion thing and will be out in a few years. Second of all, we have tried different ways to arrange the furniture but having the fireplace in the corner is just a pain and the entertainment center in the other side, I don't know, would love to have some recomendation. Thank you!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Project Guru
    9 years ago
    Hi I agree that using a rug to anchor your seating arrangement and tie in the entire wall as your focal point. Using more color on that wall would also complete the focal point and hopefully bring the gap between the very dark wood and very white stone. Consider replacing the 2 chairs with a bench, still giving you the extra seating if needed, without blocking the view from the window. And either repurpose your chairs on the other side of the coffee table. This works especially well with chairs that have a pretty back. If you are ready to replace your chairs, I love the idea of smaller swivel chairs in a family room: they can turn to the tv when needed, but still stay in conversation mode when you need that- very versatile.
  • crisoli
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your ideas? Do you guys think this is the right distribution for our living room? Here's another view.
  • PRO
    Project Guru
    9 years ago
    Yes if you bring the chairs to the other side, the console against the wall might be better behind the couch if that pathway feels too tight. But definitely, the point of a family room is to have comfortable seating to watch tv, have people over, maybe play games, so a conversation arrangement with good view to the "business" wall.
  • crisoli
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    How do you like it like this? Of course we still need the rug but we think it looks much cozier like this. I know we need to get rid of the old poinsettia :)
    Behind the chair there's still room enough so I think we need to move the console table behind the coach. What so you think?
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Nice work so far. I would love to see the table behind the couch. If the two striped chairs match, they would look nice placed together in front of the window. Put the chair with the ottoman alone on the other side of the couch and move it enough for the ottoman to not feel crowded. Maybe it could angle the other direction, toward the fireplace.
  • Nicole Tol
    9 years ago
    Think the room looks great. I'm In love with your floors. Do you know the manufacturer?
  • crisoli
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks! The floors are Bruce (antique) but as far as I know they have been discontinued.
  • PRO
    Rugs Done Right
    9 years ago
    In a room so large you would be best using a rug that is 9x12 or larger. If you prefer a more traditional rug be sure that the border or medallion is not covered too much giving the room an uneven appearance from above. We are happy to offer you suggestions if you would like personal design assistance. Please email us directly and we will get some ideas to you right away. Just let us know what you are looking for. Also, inquire about our Houzz customer discount!