California Closets or Closet Factory

penlynwilsonJuly 14, 2014
We're going to re-do our master bedroom closet and are looking at California Closets and Closet Factory. They are in a similar ballpark cost-wise. Any recommendations one way or the other?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boonski
Honestly, I would recommend that you have both companies over for a consultation and see what they are able to design for your space. I personally preferred Closet Factory's pitch. Their closets are not the hanging kind...sits on the floor. They have a wide range of materials from economical to high end designs. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by penlynwilson    July 14, 2014 at 4:54PM
penlynwilson
Thanks boonski. I've had both out. Going to compare the designs and come up with the best we can. I asked about the differences to Closet Factory today. I do like that they aren't hanging.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:03PM
armygirl1987
I have used closet factory twice. I love the consultation process, working with the same person. She really took what I wanted and ensured that it was up to par. My sales person also designed around existing structure. I called California Closet and their phone etiquette was off.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:16PM
PRO
CLOSET ENVY INC.
I'll tell you a secret! The product is the same, or very very similar..... Regardless of what they tell you. I will bet my business on that they're buying their wood from the same company. Who machines it to a finished product is probably different. The drawer styles will probably be different too - though similar

Particleboard has come a super long way from years past.... They both use a great product. The differences come down to the designer, installers, and trust in the company.

Both companies probably buy their accessories from the same company, connecting hardware will be comparable. Both companies should offer a wall hanging, and floor standing system - often times as a designer I'll suggest one or the other based on what I see ( i.e. older carpet which I think will be ripped out shortly, uneven floors, a really nicely finished house where the customer tells me they like a built in looking product) There are a number of things happening which might be unspoken on the designers part - this comes from experience though. Dont discount one company over the other for that reason.

I would ask if their installers are company employees, or if its subcontracted out. How they handle a problem. Warranty. How long the designer has been with the company. Referrals for that specific designer. Photos of past jobs of that designer. Do they go totally custom and fit the closet to the space, or do they cut the closet 1" short of the walls, and leave gaps at the end walls. How clean are they when installing. Who prepares the closet before the organizer gets installed. Payment terms.

Both companies are solid. Both companies are franchises too. Each franchise location might offer a different level of service. So someone in FL, might have a different experience than in Alaska. Bottom line is that you need to do your homework, and make sure you understand the process, and that your're comfortable with it.

Let me know if I can help answer any questions.
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by penlynwilson    July 14, 2014 at 9:23PM
PRO
Closet Factory
Great advice and thank you for the compliments. Perhaps we can shed some light on the conversation.

All of our installers are Closet Factory employees and each designer will have referrals and a portfolio of their work on hand at the first design consultation. All Closet Factory closets are completely custom made to fit the space and desires of each specific client and the client is responsible for removing and replacing their belongings before and after installation.

We take a lot of pride in our ability to offer the same expertise and level of service at each and every franchise location and when it comes to cleanliness, it's a priority for each of our installers to leave each client's home in better condition than when they arrived. After all, they have a brand new, custom storage solution and that should be the client's only focus.

Out of curiosity, which company did you choose, penlynwilson?

Thanks again everyone.

Closet Factory Team
    Bookmark   December 4, 2014 at 12:59PM