Help with tile!
Karen
I went by my house this evening to see how the beginning of the tile installation was going and this is what I see. The floor tile was installed width wise instead of length wise. Am I wrong to be upset or should I demand that it is re-done?
Sophie Wheeler
Did you specify which direction that you wanted it laid? Directionality is a personal preference. If you didn't specify, then any redo woud cost you for the additional tile and labor. If it bothers you enough, I'm sure that it would be worth that xtra.
4 Likes   July 14, 2014 at 8:52PM
Karen
I didn't. I thought is was so obvious. I went over everything else with the guy but not that....
0 Likes   July 14, 2014 at 8:57PM
It looks nomal to me, but a picture of the whole area could change my opinion??
2 Likes   July 14, 2014 at 9:07PM
Karen
That's the entire bathroom. The white at the back is the bottom of the tub. The cabinets will go along the wall on the right with the toilet in between. It's 5 ft. wide by 9-10 ft. The cabinets will cover a lot of the tile and I think it will look like squares.
0 Likes   July 14, 2014 at 9:14PM
condomary
I agree with Sophie.
2 Likes   July 14, 2014 at 10:15PM
Echo Tile and Stone
Tile installer should of ask how you wanted it installed?
2 Likes   July 14, 2014 at 11:00PM
Thos. Baker
If you arranged to have this work done through a tile store or a contractor, you have to be very specific about what you want and you need to be on-site when the work is tasking place to ensure your requests have been properly translated to the tile installer. Quite often, tile installation guys are sent out to do jobs without enough specifics, so they must complete the work based on their own skill and creative vision.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
1 Like   July 14, 2014 at 11:28PM
hotflorida
I don't think it looks bad. Once it's all out together u will love it
0 Likes   July 14, 2014 at 11:41PM
alex511
It's definitely worth it for you to chat with the installer just to see what this would entail. I would lay it out like you did above (you were sure it was going to be installed lengthwise and are shocked to see it widthwise). I agree with Echo, the installer should have asked you how you wanted it installed.
0 Likes   July 15, 2014 at 12:30AM
Karen
Luckily they agreed to change it. Unfortunately they have to order a little more tile due to the different cuts but it came up easily and they started putting it back in and it looks so much better!
3 Likes   July 15, 2014 at 6:32PM
The Liquid House
Ideally there should have been a meeting with the installer before the first piece was laid, but regardless, I'm assuming that you had said to lay it brickjoint (obviously). Which could have meant the way they laid it or it could have been from the other direction but usually the orientation is interpreted from the entry as you walk into the room which is what this is. I think that this is the way I would have installed it if the customer wanted that 'brickjoint' pattern because you can actually see the pattern very clearly from this direction. If he had laid it the other way you would have almost lost the brick pattern and basically you would have seen long straight lines running the full length of the room door to tub and you (in my opinion) would have lost that 'brick' pattern. If it may really bother you you can always have it redone but for what its worth I think that it is going to look great and when all completed you're going to feel that way too! It really will look good, just give it just a little time and once you see the whole room come together it will make the difference. Please keep me posted with new pictures of the completed project and let me know your thoughts at completion.
0 Likes   July 15, 2014 at 6:53PM
bailey510
If that's the view of the room as you walk in this is how it should be installed IMO...unless you want to see long tile lines if it is set the other way.
1 Like   July 15, 2014 at 7:08PM
bailey510
Picture of what I was referring to, never liked the look of a super long grout line from one end of a room to the other. If the tiles are like you have pictured the lines are broken up.
2 Likes   July 15, 2014 at 7:19PM
Karen
I actually like the look. It's a pretty small bathroom. The line won't be anywhere near as long as this and they'll be cabinets on top of the right hand side. It's 5ft wide by about 9 ft long. The bath at the end will have white subway. That's also going in and looks nice. My grout also won't be so white. I choose a grayish color.
0 Likes   July 15, 2014 at 8:53PM
Karen
I'll attach a photo when the tile is done Liquid House. I had a pretty long meeting with the installer but we had a little misunderstanding about this. We had to go over tile for three bathrooms and the laundry room, and I guess I just wasn't specific enough. In the end the contractor paid him to redo the way I wanted so I'm a happy camper today!
0 Likes   July 15, 2014 at 8:55PM
alex511
That is wonderful! I agree with you about liking the look in that photo bailey510 posted. :-)
0 Likes   Thanked by Karen    July 16, 2014 at 12:46AM
Karen
This is obviously only part way done, but I like the tile this way a lot more!
2 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 3:45PM
The Liquid House
Karen, can you take closer pictures of the niche area. It doesn't look like there is any waterproofing in that area which will lead to problems later.
1 Like   July 18, 2014 at 3:50PM
The Liquid House
couldn't tell from the current pic...
0 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 3:50PM
Karen
Uh oh! What should that look like? I don't live in the house but I'll get a close up shot later if they haven't finished. I know it had that grayish special drywall that was hung in the showers.
0 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 3:52PM
alex511
I definitely prefer the tiles in this direction.
1 Like   Thanked by Karen    July 18, 2014 at 5:54PM
adivra
Much better, especially considering the tub subway.
1 Like   July 18, 2014 at 6:41PM
Legacy Floors
The "Liquid House" is right. Yes, but even the grayish drywall (CBU or cement backer) is not waterproof. NO MATTER what anyone tells you. There must be either a roofing paper or plastic sheeting behind it, OR a liquid or sheet membrane on top. NO cement board on the market is waterproof.
0 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 9:50PM
Legacy Floors
Regarding layouts, that should have all been covered before install, but yes they should have asked as well. Lengthwise looks MUCH better.
1 Like   July 18, 2014 at 9:51PM
The Liquid House
Legacy, great pictures of waterproofing - A++ for doing the job right even when you had no plans of posting pics.
1 Like   July 18, 2014 at 9:52PM
Legacy Floors
Thank you LH. I ALWAYS do the job right, even when it's inconvenient. :)
0 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 9:56PM
Karen
Thank you Legacy Floors, for the photos. Beautiful work! Is the orange colored material the waterproofing?
1 Like   July 18, 2014 at 10:10PM
Legacy Floors
Yes, that is one type called Schluter Kerdi. It is a membrane. Other paint on types may be green or red, they all do similar things (waterproof your shower walls).
0 Likes   July 19, 2014 at 10:28AM
Need help to choose wall tiles and floor tiles! Help please
I have a white shaker kitchen with black and little...
cranky123
Old Tile, New Tile, Blue Tile... Help Please
Is there a way to pull this together? We can't see...
Vicki Hoeppner
Need help with tiles in the kitchen wood look like porcelain or 12x24 tiles
I am doing my kitchen and the cupboards are white countertop...
kitchenid
Need help with visual for shower tile and tile insert for master bath
We are looking for some pics/ideas on shower tile and...
caponi19
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Need advice for living room storage
I have all windows and no wall space in my townhouse...
mlp48
Brand new painted cabinets chipping on edges.
We did custom painted cabinets shaker sale cabinets...
fanofmyfam
Need help with flooring
What would be good kitchen flooring that butts up to...
Tina Fleisler
need advice on refinish versus replace kitchen cabinets
raywal cabinets are old and worn out, should i replace...
qwikredline