Heat pump versus solar geyser
Jennifer Leclezio
we are trying to decide on a cost effective way that we can be environmentally friendly with heating hot water. which option is better a heat pump or solar geyser both in terms of installation and running costs
lagwagonshow
If environmentally friendly is what you're after, go for solar collectors to avoid refrigerant. They have their own challenges, including some special maintenance issues you don't have with a storage tank water heater. They are not as simple as they appear.

With either system, you will need to keep a traditional (gas or electric) water heater to get the temp you need - heat pumps really only preheat the water and take the edge off the electric bill.

Cost effective is a realistic goal, but understand you're not necessarily going to save money compared to the system you're using now.
July 15, 2014 at 5:18am   
Christalyn
Your best bet is to do a cost analysis on how much money it takes to install and maintain the new system over 10 years. You will likely find that with what you are paying now you will not recoup your installation and maintenance fees with the monthly savings. But if that is not an issue for you then go green as possible. You also must consider the cost and environmental impact of going with a system that has to be replaced more often.
July 15, 2014 at 6:43am   
grewa002
Where are you located? In southern Europe, solar water heaters are standard for decades now. My parents in Greece have theirs since 1987, no maintenance, no back up waterheater.
July 15, 2014 at 7:30pm   
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Need help with my carpeted white wall stair well.
We are students and just rented this town house and...
walnut paneling
I have a family room with little lighting, that is...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...