Tiling bathroom tub / shower area
favoritedog
My bathroom has a tub and shower together as one unit. I am tiling the walls that surround the tub and plan to go all the way to the ceiling with the tiles and include tiling the ceiling and having a light in the ceiling over the tub area. Is this something commonly done, or is the ceiling usually excluded? How does the tile end on the ceiling then it reaches the end of the tub, with bullnose? Wondering how that would look.
Kivi
Yes people have the ceiling tiled, and sometimes tiles are available with matching bullnose tiles. Otherwise there are various metal and plastic trim pieces that are used to terminate the tile edges to give a clean look.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by favoritedog    July 15, 2014 at 12:00PM
Unless you have placed your shower head inordinately close to the ceiling because you are an amazon (hyperbole), there is generally no need to tile the ceiling unless it is a steam room / wet room without exhaust fan or window . . the 80" height (std) for the glass door to the shower allows the moisture to dissapate. You can tile the ceiling, but you need smaller units with more grout to hold them up there . . . .
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by favoritedog    July 15, 2014 at 12:07PM
favoritedog
My shower head is not near the ceiling. Bathroom is very small and wanted to open up the area by having the same tile go all the way up. The bathroom floors are the same tile but 13 x 13. I'm using subway tiles for the entire tub surround area including ceiling. I figured continuous pattern will make room seem larger. I do have bullnose for the edging on the sides of the tub area, so I will continue with that across the ceiling to the other side. I was debating between bullnose and chair rail but I think the chair rail, though it may look nice on the sides, would not look nice going across the ceiling.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 1:13PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I personally would not tile the ceiling. By putting small tile there it draws attention to it and, IMO, makes the room feel smaller. What we do is run crown molding throughout the whole bathroom and then tile up to that. Works fine and it does not get hurt by the moisture - as long as there is a bath fan and you don't use MDF moldings. Yes the use of bullnose would be preferable.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by favoritedog    July 15, 2014 at 1:41PM
favoritedog
I have enough subway tile to do up to and including the ceiling, but not the walls (with the chair rail) so if I don't tile the ceiling should I still go up to the ceiling? Or should I possibly only go a little above the showerhead and use the rest on the walls and purchase chair rail if I have enough subway tiles to do the walls? The bathroom is only 5 x 5 including the shower area. I have a feeling I may have enough tile to do the walls.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 1:53PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
How tall are your ceilings? If you are at 8', then I would go up to the ceiling around the tub and not stop short of that. Starts to look squatty if you stop just above the shower head.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 1:59PM
favoritedog
I am at 8'. To me, stopping at the ceiling and not tiling the ceiling looks unfinished.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 2:33PM
bungalowmo
Just as an example...here's what I did with my tub/shower tile area.

This is in various stages of completion, but you get the idea. No light above tub. No vent or fan. Just 2 windows that can be cracked for quick steam escape & ventilation.

My ceilings are 9'
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by favoritedog    July 15, 2014 at 2:48PM
Linda
I prefer tile all the way to the ceiling, but not on the ceiling. I find that with some tiles, the bullnose tiles are expensive enough that it costs no more money to run the tile to the ceiling than to stop short and buy the trim tiles.

I did once assist on a tile job involving a shower with a slanted ceiling where the tile went all the way up, including the flat ceiling. After that adventure, I was cured of ever wanting to do a tiled ceiling myself

The shower in my 1931 house has a tiled ceiling and cleaning the ceiling grout isn't much fun
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by favoritedog    July 15, 2014 at 6:41PM
favoritedog
I have enough bullnose and tile to do it either way. If I cut it short, (just above the shower head) I will have enough subway tiles to do my walls. I would just need a chair rail to top the tiles on the walls. It's looking like most suggestions rule out doing the ceiling. So it's between going all the way up the shower walls only, or capping it short and tiling the bathroom walls also.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 6:52PM
Would you please tell me what tile you used in the tub/shower area?
I love the white tile large and small! I would really...
Tiffany_Wood Jason_Youell
Tiled in shower to tub conversion. Tile vs. tub surround?
In this day and age where people are ripping out their...
Bethany
Putting a free-standing tub in a shower area (waterproofing) help!
I have a 67" free-standing tub I'd like to add in the...
Bella Abba
Bathroom remodel - can the shower area have a window...?
Our upstairs bath only has a tub...no shower. We want...
swedbergj
The Spanish moss brick looks darker and different than expected
Hi , We selected boral spanish moss brick with canyon...
mvvj
Planning for disability
This is for senior citizens - or those who are still...
janbhan
Using Old Silos for New House
Planning to use these silos as part of our new home....
Saratoga Farmstead
we need a kitchen table
kitchen table that extends to 120 inches but only 30-36...
maxthecat63
My Great Room always looks like "autumn"
I live in Tucson and my floors are traditional ranch...
DianeE.