Had water damage and now want to update kitchen

mjmurphy1970July 15, 2014
Pics aren't the best because our floor is removed due to our ice machine flooding! Now that so much is pulled out we want to change out the counter tops, add a back splash, maybe new appliances. Any ideas? We like the stone on the island because we live in the country near water and it matches the fireplace. Keeping cupboards, too. House was built in 2001. We are replacing the damaged flooring with the same light maple since we changed that a few years ago when we bought the place. Island has a cabinet with counter on the other side. Thoughts?
Barnhart Gallery
Hi mj -- Hope you don't mind my having a little fun with your kitchen. I put back your floor and gave you the new appliances you're thinking of getting. Because the stone sings quite loudly, I looked for the rest of your finishes to harmonize rather than compete for attention.

There's a coppery tone in the stone that to my eye calls out for a copper backsplash and island countertop -- you can choose something else for the rest of the counters. I'd stay away from busy repousse ceiling-tile-styled backsplashes in favor of a simple flat or hammered finish -- no objection to a nice patination without a lot of contrast. You could also repeat the wooden foot ledge on the island top.

I've simplified the tops of the windows and cabinets and added something pretty in lighting to balance the super-masculine stone and copper:
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/delacroix-collection-25-inch-wide-french-bronze-wall-chandelier__2y259.html
Cursor over to enlarge.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 10:40PM
mjmurphy1970
Thanks so much! That's a great starting point. I especially like the idea of matching the island counter to the foot rest. What should the other side of the island counter look like, same as top or same as kitchen? It's on a cabinet same height as kitchen counters. It doesn't show in the pictures because it's currently in the garage! :(
    Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 5:25AM
Barnhart Gallery
The back side countertop I'd do the same as rest of kitchen. Copper and wood are nice for the bar top, but not as practical for everyday.

I'd also bring that nice copper tray down for countertop use -- I have a hammered copper one in my own kitchen that holds my cooking wines and my olive, grape, sesame, macadamia and truffle oils. I also have a flame mahogany one that comes out for company to hold the evening's signature cocktail or bourbon, along with our fancy whiskey glasses.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 7:44AM
Kayelee Ryan
I have a few ideas that I hope can help. Maybe add garnet countertops like in the picture. You can also add backsplash you don't have to do the one in the picture but I thought it had a modern feel to it. Also you could add some light above the island. Paint you cabinets and your good to go.
    Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 8:42AM
POLL: Ever had a sewer backup in your home?
Of all the home catastrophes that I hear about, this...
Wanting to gut my kitchen...
I would like to "redesign" my kitchen. I want to open...
bearus2
Donna Collins
I want to update my bathroom!
Our house wasn't braced properly and has needed leveling...
wa_stevens
HELP-something is off in my living room and i don't know what it is
I need help in reviving my living room. i've tried...
pontes_mari
Need to pizzaz the front of my house
I feel like our home is flat & boring. Am considering...
kathrynsusan
Kitchen layout help...
We are planning a kitchen renovation and I'm trying...
elleannie
What kind of vent hood would you put here?
it's me again. :) i can't decide if i want to put...
dasha81
HELP! Size of lighting over bathtub??
Beginning our bathroom makeover in 2 mos. What size...
bernegger