What to do? What to do?
aking646
I want to either find a design style to go with my standard tract home kitchen or find a style to go with the living room and do a remodel of the kitchen.i want more space somehow out of this one floor about 900 sq ft. HELP!!! And what do I do with those high small windows?
Terri Hohl at Mc Carran Place LOWE'S,Las Vegas,NV
I think the Kitchen is in fine shape.What wood is that? Natural Maple?.Your problem is scale. Your Loveseat, chair and bar stools are too big for the room. Put you chairs around the dining table and find entertainment/shelving that MATCHES the Kitchen cabinet to fill up the space for the TV.Maybe a chair in front of the slider with a corner table and lamp, then the love seat facing the TV this would create a conversation area and leave plenty of room for flow. Make sure you invest in a place at the door to put your shoes, keys, leash etc. Organization is the KEY to Small spaces.
5 Likes    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:09PM
aking646
The living area furniture I want to replace but I was not sure what design style would go with the kitchen. I wanted to get a free floating media cabinet for the tv but needed some design ideas. The wood in the kitchen is red maple was it is very light.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:22PM
HI -- The kitchen seems fine and the windows seem fine and even the fireplace , even though I don't care for corner fireplaces . Your furniture is too big , that's the main problem. Do you want a new kitchen for some reason . Or are you ok with doing an update ? The cabinets look nice -- good style , not country and more contemporary . Mostly need some freshening up and new color . Your furniture needs to be more tailored . Sofa with square arms would look better and with exposed legs . Those bar stools are too big and too country . And everything is all the same color of beige -grey and brown . How much do you want to put into this as far as funds go ? For the high windows , don't have stuff on the sills . Hang the TV on the wall just under the windows and then have a long low console cabinet under --- storage for TV stuff and more . Get white or cream color . If your getting a new sofa , get a gray texture one on legs. An accent chair similar to the sofa style ,but in a color or pattern. Find smaller more open style bar stools if you need them . If you don't use them , then go without. Put bookcases there if that would work better. If your going to remodel the kitchen , then do a straight run on the wall with an island in front . Have stainless steal appliances or white . Maybe white cabinets or modern glossy ones .Ikea has a new cream colored cabinet that is very nice . With taupe tile backsplash and new taupe mix granite counters , it would be stunning . Find a nice pretty modern area rug first and go from there with your colors . Pick an accent color . Just keep the window coverings simple with blinds and drape side panels over. I think I just sort of told you to gut the room !!!
5 Likes    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:39PM
happyleg
Treat those small windows like normal. I would add a roaman shades. I would get a tv cabinet for storage. You have storage above cabinets for things you display or don't use everyday.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:40PM
Use some Maple and Black Furniture to tie into the kitchen.
4 Likes    Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 9:41PM
happyleg
maybe paint your island a color?
1 Like    Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 10:10PM
aking646
I guess I am looking for a "style" to follow. I see on the websites- country, modern, Tuscan- like that.
I am not sure where to begin
    Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 6:19AM
Patricia Colwell
Start an idea book, put into it every room you like, don't think about why just do it. After a while a style will emerge then start working on the space, and I would enlist the help of a designer in th store where you are shopping showing her what you like.
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 6:44AM
You don't need to name your style to have it, but your ideabook suggests you lean transitional. If you want more space, you definitely need to scale down the furniture. Find pieces that are smaller AND that have less visual weight, seating with square instead of rolled arms, legs instead of skirts.

Think long, low, sleek. Think West Elm, not Pottery Barn.
4 Likes    Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 6:47AM
I also think you need a furniture rearrangement in the living area. The sofa in front of the window needs to go. If there's room, I would try a small sofa angled to face the fireplace. I would also try floating the sofa to face the TV.

Replace the bulky bar stools with something more trim and open:
.

Remove everything from the mantel. Replace it with a painting or one or two carefully selected objets d'art. Take the photos off the high windowsill. Find another place, perhaps artfully arranged into a gallery wall over the sofa or in the hall.
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 6:57AM
Patty Scott
All the responders had good advice....but since most of it was to get rid of current style of seating, etc. which is country-like, you should take that to mean you should look for more contemporary/ modern. Ideabooks on houzz have plenty of photos to inform your new style. For me, the framed pics on window ledge should be first to go.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 7:05AM
I just reread your comment from a few minutes ago. You said you don't know where to start. So let's start here: determine your best room arrangement. This will determine the sizes of furniture pieces you need.

You have the TV on the correct wall. So the first thing to determine is where to place seating to best view TV, fireplace, and window, while keeping paths to kitchen and dining open. At the same time, you want those paths to go around and behind the seating, so traffic doesn't cut between the TV and viewers.

You could start by just pushing your current furniture around till you find an arrangement that works. Then you'll be able to see if you need a shorter, narrower couch, one chair instead of two, a smaller coffee table.

(You can also go to http://roomandboard.icovia.com/ and push furniture around virtually.)
1 Like    Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 7:06AM
I will likely be drummed out of the Just-Say-No-to-Sectionals Association for this, and I had to guess at the room dimensions (I guessed 16' x 16'), but here's an example from Icovia:
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 7:25AM
aking646
Grocer axle- you are awesome! Thanks!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 7:12PM
Where must I put wall unit?
There will be three units. The third one has not been...
rosyland
Brighten a Wood Panel Living Room
Hi everyone! We like the wood paneling in our new beach...
hgreese
Where can I find this tile? I saw it in a model home.
Has anyone seen this tile before? I love it and can't...
Lorraine Hernandez-Dunn
Help needed with a 1970's bathroom
This 1970's bathroom needs a fresh coat of paint and...
veronc
stairwell wall
Need some help on how to decorate this massive space,...
rheemo