Going nuts
maryfran54
I've purchased multiple lamps for this room. I'm back and forth to every store around my home. Not sure what size. Lamp, shape or color of lamp to use. I know scale is important too. None of them seemed right in this room. Advise please!
maryfran54
Another view, paint color is Grant Beige. The paint appears greenish in the lighting but it really doesn't look line that at all. Took this in the evening.
July 16, 2014 at 7:04AM   
July 16, 2014 at 7:12AM     
Wild Infusion
ok going nuts....lol see if I can help with these pics...
July 16, 2014 at 7:29AM   
Wild Infusion
another few....what I think it needs is something with a bit of interest and also a bigger lamp... I think that you should also put something else on the table with the lamp...perhaps a photo frame...I think this will take the lonley lamp look away....so ...hope this helps Robyn
July 16, 2014 at 7:43AM     
maryfran54
Margo?
July 16, 2014 at 8:20AM   
maryfran54
Robin where would I buy one of those lamps?
July 16, 2014 at 8:20AM   
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
Look at the Horchow or RH website. There is a reason people need professional help, it might be useful to get a consultation. I'm not a fan of that chandelier so please tread carefully. IT SAVES MONEY TO ACTUALLY HIRE A DESIGNER EVEN FOR A SMALL CONSULTATION. The room is nice, the next steps you make will make or break the room. All of the lamps suggested above DO NOT work.
July 16, 2014 at 8:27AM     
Wild Infusion
Depends which one you are after .... Well I would just like to advise the last person to answer that I am an Interior Designer and I have also designed many homes and undertaken Interior Design on many of those new homes also...no offence..you didn't know....I believe that they will work but it is up to you Mary whatever you are happy with..by the way...I love the chandelier. The lamps were all on different google searches....this is the link for the last one...just describe the lamp in detail on google and put in large lamps and you will find them or plenty of others...I am not sure where you live so did not know where to advise you to go...
https://www.google.com.au/search?newwindow=1&rlz=1C1GPEA_enAU412AU412&es_sm=93&biw=1440&bih=809&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Large+lamps&oq=Large+lamps&gs_l=img.3..0l9j0i5.12244.17474.0.17768.13.12.0.0.0.0.831.2223.3-4j6-1.5.0....0...1c.1.49.img..8.5.2219.12f4NHBytlg
July 16, 2014 at 9:13AM     
Maryfran- I think the last thing you need is more scolly lamps to compete with the chandy that I too like. That is why I showed something to contrast the room or bring it out of ornateville. Just design stuff??
July 16, 2014 at 9:22AM     
Maureen
My thought would be to go with nothing too delicate or with a white shade. In the right corner, a floor lamp would be nice instead as alternative complimenting the lamp you would add to your table. Draw The Line Design; Cumberland Basement Remmodel;celia lima
July 16, 2014 at 10:59AM   
maryfran54
Gray and Walter that is why I'm on house asking for design advice. The chandelier was over1200.00. It's there so now I need advice on what yo blend with that. Thanks for your two cents.
July 16, 2014 at 11:04AM     
KShoa
@maryfran, your original questions sounded like you wanted a different lamp. I think you're clarifying that you're keeping the lamp but need more items around the room?

If so, one of the things I can recommend is decorating your empty walls. Additional color and texture from artwork can pull all your existing furniture and decor together.

Check out my artwork for ideas here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

I'm currently running a 15% off on all items, plus free shipping to US for canvas prints.

Hope this helps.
July 16, 2014 at 11:17AM   
maryfran54
No not keeping that lamp it does nothing for the room.
July 16, 2014 at 6:35PM   
Jessica McLucas
I'm a huge fan of Tiffany inspired lamps. They give a ton of color without being too bold. They have good size and add warmth to a room.
July 16, 2014 at 6:59PM   
lovebugsmom
Maryfran, Your chandelier is awesome, I love it.
Did they have coordinating lamps to go with it?
July 16, 2014 at 7:18PM     
ohrelax
maryfran, The minute I saw your room I immediately thought of a beautiful, black-based Robert Abbey lamp. They're avaiable at fine lighting stores and online. ohhhhh, I think it would be perfect! (I'm a designer but I have no investment in R.A. :O) I do have several of their lamps in my own home.) Restoration Hardware carries nice lighting too.
July 16, 2014 at 7:25PM     
This chart might help you out.
July 16, 2014 at 9:10PM     
Thos. Baker
For the side table by the sofa, I'm recommending lamps that have a 12-14-inch base. Your decor has a hint of Tuscany to it, so I'm posting photos of styles that blend with the other components in the room -- the sofa, black coffee table, fireplace, area rug and chandelier.

The right lamp for this room has to blend, but still make a bold statement and stand out on its own. My favorite is the top left, which is Sydney Marble. It carries the cream colors in the room, but subtle hints of black to compliment the coffee table.

The bottom left is also marble with more dramatic colors that can also be found in your living room.

The bottom right photo is a direct correlation to your chandelier, which is a Tuscan style.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
July 17, 2014 at 12:48AM     
ohrelax
Christi/Thomas Baker, where are these lamps available?
July 17, 2014 at 1:12AM   
Thos. Baker
Hi ohrelax,

1) Top left: Sydney Marble Lamp
Neiman Marcus

Here on Houzz at:
Arteriors "Sydney" Marble Lamp

2) Top right: John Richard Stacked Stone Lamp

Here on Houzz at:
John-Richard Collection Stacked Stone Lamp

3) Bottom left: Avante Marble Table Lamp

Here on Houzz at:
avante marble table lamp

4) Bottom right: Quoizel Mystic Black Wrought Iron Lamp
Tuscan Decor at: http://tuscandecor.com/light_fixture2.html

If you choose one of these lamps, please let us know which one you decide on!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
July 17, 2014 at 1:44AM     
Joshua David Home, LLC
There is much beige in this room- layered beige upon beige- which is fine, but you haven't allowed for the eye to rest anywhere or to get excited by color. You might want to think about a color you would like to add in the space, an aqua or gold or even a pale transparent purple- To neutralize the greenish effect the paint is giving. Something to think about as the silver accents are nice, but they don't help to add warmth to the space. A glass sofa lamp picking up the subtle golden beige in the chandelier crystals with a soft white shade would be the simplest solution. However, you might want to consider the enclosed lamp-- it's a softer color, working well with the beiges- but is creamy enough to let your eye rest and picks up the subtlety of the crown and base trims. It adds warmth to the room on many levels and will work with additional accessories and 'Objet.
http://www.circalighting.com/details.aspx?pid=4877
July 17, 2014 at 3:11AM     
End the madness and go for the humor;)

July 17, 2014 at 6:01AM     
ohrelax
Christi, Thank you!

The Sydney Marble Lamp. Love it. I went to the Houzz website and it's sold out.

I originally went to the Thos. Baker website and noticed you're on Bainbridge Island. I'm in Seattle :O).

There's a Neiman Marcus store in Bellevue . . .
July 17, 2014 at 8:43AM   
ohrelax
Margo, The dilemma is resolved . . . perfect! Thanks for making me laugh out loud!
July 17, 2014 at 8:46AM     
kmk10629
The Sydney lamp is back in stock on Houzz!
July 17, 2014 at 9:00AM     
I wondered when the leg lamp would show up. Thanks for not disappointing me, Margo.
July 17, 2014 at 9:07AM     
Scott Conover
This lamp works and looks great however, I feel it needs clear crystal jewels hanging.
July 17, 2014 at 9:20AM   
collettec
Scale is important. I feel that not only your lamps, but your side tables are too small for the size lamp that would work best.
July 17, 2014 at 9:34AM   
ohrelax
Thanks, kmk10629! Yes, the lamp became available again. I bought it. :O).
July 17, 2014 at 9:36AM     
ohrelax
grover, I like your aesthetic; also, your down-to-earth approach and humor. Just curious: where are you located?
July 17, 2014 at 10:01AM   
Need color, any color, just some color.
July 17, 2014 at 10:05AM     
ohrelax
maryfran, any thoughts? Going with the leg lamp?
July 17, 2014 at 10:11AM     
Thanks, ohrelax. I like your username; sort of appropriate for these life-and-death design discussions. I am located in the cultural mecca of Tucson, AZ.
July 17, 2014 at 10:23AM     
ohrelax
grover, :O).
July 17, 2014 at 10:49AM   
Grover-I save the leg lamp for special occasions')
July 17, 2014 at 10:52AM   
ohrelax
grover, btw, you've inspired me. I'd like to get some of those cool shades, as modeled by your hound, for my white lab. They'd be great for copiloting in the car. :O)
July 17, 2014 at 11:22AM   
kmk10629
Oh relax, glad you got the lamp!! Very pretty! I have 2 yellow labs who would also look great with those goggles!!
July 17, 2014 at 12:44PM     
ohrelax
Dogs in goggles (sounds like the name of a song or a book; or if you say it fast, a high-end designer brand. "Dogsngoggles Fragrance for Women.")

Anyway, where to find the goggles for our labs?
July 17, 2014 at 1:46PM   
ohrelax
maryfran, what about the lamp? Would more suggestions and examples be helpful? Or do you have a good idea of what you want?
July 17, 2014 at 1:53PM   
Deborah Dyste. ASID - Registered Interior Designer
You're exactly on track saying, "I know scale is important." The fireplace sets the stage and it's significant scale has to be respected. The coffee table is in harmony but I question the delicate end table. A pair of lamps such as the lamp on the end table could work well on the mantle. I would like to suggest an end table that mimics the scale of the fireplace and coffee table with a table lamp that's in the 29: high range. A significant painting or print on the left side of the fireplace or, less expensively, a large ficus tree (at least six feet tall in a container at least 18" round container. I'm wondering about your ceiling height and the visual weight of the chandelier. Best of luck!
July 17, 2014 at 2:02PM     
Thos. Baker
Hi ohrelax -- glad you found a lamp to love! And hello, fellow Washingtonian! Yes, Thos. Baker is on Bainbridge Island. I'm a Seattle native -- born and raised, but currently living on Maui. Will be heading back home soon though!

maryfran54 -- I love the neutral tones in your living room, but other designers are recommending more color, so I have an idea I'd like to throw out. The mirror over the fireplace is great, but what about a sensational piece of art of the same size instead?

One angle is to play up the Tuscan theme in the room. Don't know if you'd be into that, but here's some works that have both softness and color that would make a subtle, but dramatic statement. They're from Italian artists, which gives the concept even more authenticity. If you don't like this style of art, but are interested in the idea of art, let us know!

P.S. I viewed each next to your photo and the colors were all lovely choices for your living room. The top left was especially beautiful.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
July 17, 2014 at 4:28PM     
maryfran54
So many to answer here. First off the room is intentionally beige on beige to give it a elegant look. Touches of silver and gold on the pillows. Someone suggested light aqua in the room. I tried that on silk pillows but it didn't quite look right in the room. I wouldn't be opposed to some color in the room. My goal is to keep the room elegant. There is a picture on the wall that my husband wanted that is of Tuscany which I will attach a picture of. Table in the corner is an antique 28"high by 28" round. I don't have to keep that. Ceiling is ten feet high with 10" crown. Got a new lamp yesterday which I'll attach a picture of that also. I appreciate all the comments and pictures. I realize scale is very important and want to make that right. Rug can go too. That was left over from another room.
July 18, 2014 at 8:22AM   
maryfran54
Here are a few more pics.
July 18, 2014 at 8:24AM   
maryfran54
Thomas Baker tried a picture over the fireplace and didn't like it. We just got that mirror from RH.
July 18, 2014 at 8:26AM   
maryfran54
Deborah, what sort of end table would you recommend? I wouldn't mind giving that table to my daughter she loves it. Thought of bookcases for each side of the fireplace but with 10' ceiling a large one to fit that area is hard. I need them to be about 50" wide also.
July 18, 2014 at 8:29AM   
maryfran54
Submitting a larger view of the room. Getting rid of the two leather chairs and rug. Need to figure out what to do for sides of fireplace. What do you professional designers think?
July 18, 2014 at 8:33AM   
Iconic Deco - Interior Design
I would go with something like this, to make the room look rich! Thanks.
July 18, 2014 at 8:42AM     
Iconic Deco - Interior Design
You can build in some bookcases or shelves to decor.
July 18, 2014 at 8:46AM     
Iconic Deco - Interior Design
also you need to add some royal curtains back there.
July 18, 2014 at 8:52AM     
zweiback
Do you need a lamp on the end table(s)? I think some simple wall sconces on either side of the mirror and fireplace are in order!
July 18, 2014 at 9:19AM     
Wild Infusion
Hi....I have had another look for you ....I now know you are after the elegant look....so I would go for a waterford crystal lamp....that is one of the most elegant...but you may or may not like the price. The other thing to look at is a double candle lamp... Most of the lamps I have shown you are a Versallies Style...here is the link for the waterford crystal lamp.
http://www.crystalclassics.com/waterford/lamps/table.htm

the third lamp was on ebay...new but quite a bit cheaper

I think you will be happy with these...the price I am not sure....ebay is the cheapest

hope you don't go completely nuts....lol
July 18, 2014 at 9:44AM   
Thos. Baker
Bookshelves would be beautiful! You could also put a gorgeous floor lamp to the right side of the fireplace and a large floor vase on the left side. Or, a marble pedestal that serves as a place to keep a constant bouquet of fresh cut, fragrant flowers.

Am posting floor lamps that are elegant -- in keeping with your vision for this room.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
July 18, 2014 at 3:08PM     
Thos. Baker
Visuals of a large floor vase (you could put a spray of reeds in) or a marble pedestal used for fresh floral bouquets.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
July 18, 2014 at 3:11PM   
maryfran54
Good ideas we really want curios or bookcases to flank fireplace. I'm thinking 8ft? Ten foot ceilings.
July 18, 2014 at 3:21PM   
maryfran54
This. Baker I love the floor lamps.
July 18, 2014 at 3:28PM   
maryfran54
Sorry Thos. Baker.
July 18, 2014 at 3:28PM   
maryfran54
Where can I find the floor lamps? First one restoration hardware?
July 18, 2014 at 3:29PM   
Thos. Baker
maryfran54 -- yes, the first one can be found on restoration hardware or Houzz at:

2. Also on RH:
http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1690131

3. Decorating Tips Blog:
http://luchasientevive.com/flooring-lamps/

4. I THINK the last one came from Lamps Plus:
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/floor-lamps/style_crystal/

Glad you like them! If you buy one, let us know which one you chose!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
July 18, 2014 at 4:20PM     
I need design advice for my living space!
We recently moved into a new house that has a great...
How can I conseal a wall kitchen cabinet that's uneven on the top?
My cousin has been nice enough to help me install the...
Painting Brick Fireplace
Can anyone give me a step by step method for painting...
How to give this a facelift? Add peaks?
Should we add a peak above the entrance? And garage?...
This dining room is holding me hostage ...
... I can't walk by this room without stopping to stare...