Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
titi7109

Need help to pick Sunroom paint color to compliment w/blue wicker sofa

titi7109
9 years ago
We bought a set of blue-cushion wicker sofa for our sunroom. The existing paint color is light lime green which doesn't really go with the blue-cushion of the wicker sofa set. I thought of a light grey color that would go nicely with the blue cushions, but then grey would look too cold for a sunroom, and would not compliment well with the Sherwin William's Kilim Beige paint color of our kitchen that overlook into the sunroom. I'm into the new trend nowaday with BLUE color, would a light blue shade (see attached sample pix), or perhaps a light orangy/yellow shade look ok here? Any color to compliment with the existing paints, blue-cushion, off-white vertical blinds, and Kilim Beige kitchen walls overlooking into the sunroom. Anyone has other paint colors you can suggest? I welcome all input and suggestions and greatly appreciate it!

Comments (29)

• Barrie Hurst-Dreyer
    9 years ago
    Sherwin Williams makes a beautiful spa gray called reflection, which actually has a little bit of blue hues, but not more soft gray blue and it works beautifully with any kind of furniture. we loved it so much that we painted all of our rooms with it., and people always ask what the color is and we get a lot of compliments that the rooms feel very calming.
    titi7109 thanked Barrie Hurst-Dreyer
  • Lauren Hartman
    9 years ago
    This might sound crazy, but after seeing the beige color you have in the next room, I would go with something in the yellow or gold tones. Something that feels sunny but not too bright, and yellow and blue are a great combo. For ideas I was looking at Benjamin Moore colors online and I think something close to "Yellow Lotus" is what I'm thinking, but you could go darker or lighter based on preference.
    titi7109 thanked Lauren Hartman
  • Lauren Hartman
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    As a visual, here's a quick one I did on the Sherwin William's color visualizer. I chose the "Brittlebush" color. But you could certainly go with just about anything in the yellow or orange family I think...

Sorry for the edges, their color tool isn't all that great at automatically picking it out :)
    titi7109 thanked Lauren Hartman
  • titi7109
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much for your suggesions! Yes, since it's a sunroom, I like something that looks bright and cheery. Both yellow/orange tone and blue-hue tone are what I've thought of so far....but couldn't decide which color and how light, how dark of the selected tone I should go with. This is quite a hard task and I need all suggestions I can get to help me decide :) I'll stop by Sherwin Williams to get a sample swatch of "beautiful spa gray called reflection" that Barrieh suggested and "Yellow Lotus" from Benjamin Moore that Lauren Hartman offered. Thanks again!

Here're a few more pics of the existing room that I couldn't post earlier due to the max 4 pics limitation
  • titi7109
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    That's so beautiful Maureen! Do you know the brand and name of the wall color (white with light blue undertone)? Unfortunately...I just had the off-white/ivory vertical blinds installed last week, so changing the blinds is not an option at this point :( I love those accent blue and orange shades, dark espresso furniture, etc. that you have in the picture...very modern! This modern look is definitely in-line with my style. I just need help with selecting the right tone of either blue or orange/yellow paint color (or some other colors I couldn't think of yet) for the wall to complement with that hard-to-match blue cushion....and something bright...cheery...happy color that would bring out the sunroom when I look into it from the boring Kilim Beige kitchen. Keep in mind that the sunroom is overlooking a nice green back drop of the backyard.
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    Paint Color SW 6106 Kilim Beige from Sherwin-Williams · More Info

Sherwin-Williams paint color – Fun Yellow (SW 6908) · More Info

I think yellow would be a nice choice, and I like this SW Fun Yellow with Kilim Beige.
    titi7109 thanked MarleneM
  • Angela Cooke
    9 years ago
    I would take your colors from nature since you are doing a sunroom and already have some nature colors from the beach like the floor color and beige sandy color in the kitchen. A great tool is the Sherwin Williams CHIP IT which lets you click on a photo of the beach (or anything) and breaks it down into a color scheme for you along with the paint colors they have to match it. Try it out, it will give you the answer you need!!
    titi7109 thanked Angela Cooke
  • GizV
    9 years ago
    I painted my sunroom in wheat color. Just a touch of yellow. It remains a neutral that will go with everything.
    titi7109 thanked GizV
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    I played with a painting app I have on my iPad. Sorry it's not clean edges, but it does help to get a visual. The first is SW Fun Yellow, and second is SW Daffodil. I think brighter art over sofa might be good, and add an area rug. There are some good colour combos in this link.
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/173301/Summer-Brights
  • PRO
    LA Furniture Store
    9 years ago
    It looks great the way it is.
    titi7109 thanked LA Furniture Store
  • tgb1
    9 years ago
    I also think the current color looks great with the blue cushions.
    titi7109 thanked tgb1
  • titi7109
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    MarleneM: I really like the "Promenade Aquarelle Outdoor Wall Art" you shared above! I really like those vibrant teal/orange colors scheme.
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    Thanks, found that on Houzz. It looks to be a good match for the sectional doesn't it. What I love about Houzz is the search capabilities. I think I searched "sunroom art"
    Did you click the link to Summer brights? It takes you to a page of rooms with bright colours. I also think you could keep green walls, but on my screen your current green looks more sage than lime, and I think a brighter green would work better.
  • vickicz
    9 years ago
    Like the colour as is- just need to lower the art.
    titi7109 thanked vickicz
  • lisaabell
    9 years ago
    Sounds like you want FUN- so- have Benjamin Moore match both your sofa color and your blinds color. Then paint wide vertical stripes all in the couch area, vertical that travels up and across the ceiling, but ends in that section above the sofa. Use the sliding glass door as a defining "wall". it will look like a cabana. THEN- take that white and put it over the green. THEN- paint your trim in that fabulous blue. Bring in the yellow and orange in equally clear hues (tonally matching that vibrant blue) in pillows and maybe a gauzy curtain draped over a full size mirror - to encourage yourself while you are working out on that machine there. Add a few fiber optic lights for "stars" at night, some silhoettes of animals painted on the wall by the mirror, and you have a romantic "vacation" room...
    titi7109 thanked lisaabell
  • lisaabell
    9 years ago
    Additionally, take all those plants lined up like soldiers (the ones under the window across from the breakfast bar) and instead put them in a "grouping" by the chaise lounge section of the couch, still near the sliding glass door- or is that just large windows?- and use the plant grouping to partially obscure the couch from the workout section. It will add to the cabana feeling, minimize the long narrow passage-like feeling of the room, and actually create 3 mini-rooms- the couch/cabana, the workout room with mirror and stars, and the breakfast bar. It will make the room much more romantic and functional at the same time.
  • lisaabell
    9 years ago
    While you're at it, take those lovely paris cafe paintings and put them over by the breakfast bar. Might as well put them where they can whet the appetite. If you want a painting over the cabana stripes, I would put a thick framed gold gilt or silver gilt mirror over the stripes and try to emphasize the light coming in through the sky lights. ( You can cheat by putting a tiny wood chip under the bottom frame of the mirror, tilting it slightly up toward the skylight- volia! Twice as much sunlight!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Chartreuse.
    titi7109 thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Other options:
    titi7109 thanked groveraxle
  • Barrie Hurst-Dreyer
    9 years ago
    Here are a couple of photos of our dining and living room with Sherwin Williams Reflection on the walls. It doesn't look anything like the paint chip and I suggest you get a few colors that you like and paint some areas on your walls and live with it for a week or two, so you can see how the color changes throughout the day. You have a beautiful space to work with and I love the pop of blue in your cushions.
    titi7109 thanked Barrie Hurst-Dreyer
  • GizV
    9 years ago
    I like the colorful rugs and pop of color from pillows on Goveraxle's comment. What a great way to liven up a space. Art.com has inexpensive stretch canvas art work if you decide to change the art above your couch.
    titi7109 thanked GizV
  • GizV
    9 years ago
    I used a "gray" that was really a muted blue in a spare bedroom. I forget the name but it was a Behr product. Here's how it looked when a professional took photos when I sold that place.
    titi7109 thanked GizV
  • titi7109
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, I like the colorful rugs and pop of color from the pillows from Groveraxle comment above too. In fact, the existing green wall is in the same vibrant green shade that Groveraxle re-created in the top 3 pictures posted, it's just that my original photos didn't do justice with the real color, for some reasons it looks dull & more like sage than it should be. I didn't think the existing green would work, but now that I see there're different creative ways to work the colors....I might not have to repaint which would even be better (however, I'm so into the new team, turquoise/aqua/greyish blue lately that I still kinda wonder if I should repaint the room in some shade of blue....and throw in some orange/brown/earthtone accent?).....agggrrr...the options are limitless which makes it so hard to decide, but I greatly appreciate all the creative suggestions everyone offered...thank you so much!!!
  • mick50
    9 years ago
    I really like Maureen's idea of white walls with pops of orange and a colorful rug. Not crazy about green or yellow with the taupe color next to it, but that's just me.
    Love turquoise and coral....

https://www.etsy.com/market/turquoise_pillows
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/123569720/outdoor-turquoise-coral-shell-orange
    titi7109 thanked mick50
  • jens56
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of painting the walls a lighter shade of blue than the sofa's you have and then incorporating the beige (from the other room) with cream and blue in cushions for the sofa.
    titi7109 thanked jens56
  • Patrica Montazeri
    9 years ago
    I would paint this room the same color as the kitchen. It will make it seem bigger and decorate with bright colors from your wall art.
    titi7109 thanked Patrica Montazeri
  • CH Kitchin
    9 years ago
    I don't know what country you are in, but "white on white" by Dulux would be great with that furniture. Or a slight white - towards the grey/blue tint would be nice too. "Smoke White"
  • Deborah Collingridge
    9 years ago
    Maureen hit the nail on the head! Perfection!