Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
standardstaples

Need entryway help

standardstaples
9 years ago
This is our entryway by the front door, and the space is about 17 feet long. Depth out to the front door/bottom of the stairs is roughly 2 feet. Any suggestions on how to dress it up? I'm having trouble figuring out how to avoid cluttering or leaving it too sparse. Thanks!

Comments (25)

• Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    A mirror/table/lamp and seating are always a practical and attractive solution. Picture shows a narrow table, which would work well.
    Entry · More Info
    standardstaples thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    A pair of floating shelves with artwork above would help maintain the clean design and spaciousness of the entry.
    standardstaples thanked Dytecture
  • chromacurve
    9 years ago
    Questions: Do you have kids? Is this your main entry pt? What's your personal style? I ask these questions to help with an ideal choice of solutions.
  • standardstaples
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Excellent question. We do have a 19 month old, and we are planning to have another in about a year. This is the main entry point for guests, but we enter through the garage door 99% of the time. That being said, from the garage entry, we pretty much have to go near this area to get in the house. There isn't enough space by the garage door for a true "mud room" situation, so we had tossed around the idea of adding some sort of built-in bench/shoe storage in this area.
  • chromacurve
    9 years ago
    Good call on the bench/shoe storage! BUT what will happen is it will be the catchall for coats, toys, and other "stuff."
    Since you have to go near this area before and after you leave I sugg a full-length mirror. This way you and the family can get one last check before heading to work, going out for dinner, etc. Adding some plants on each side would be a nice dynamic touch, too.
  • Jamie Grenoble
    9 years ago
    What about a hall tree? Something like this?
  • Jamie Grenoble
    9 years ago
    Or this?
  • standardstaples
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Full length mirror makes sense, but we actually have a more convenient one mounted closer to our exit.

I also like the look of hall trees, but with 17 feet to play with, they just don't fill the space very well. Even if I built one, it'd have to be pretty large to feel right. On top of that, I guess it's worthwhile to note that we have a dedicated coat closet on the opposite wall.

I'm leaning toward Dytecture's idea about floating shelves. Maybe a gallery wall look. I'm pretty good with woodworking, so I could build/stain a couple very long shelves, offset, with lots of different frames and keepsakes scattered throughout. I guess I'm unsure how to work that in with some sort of table or seating on the ground (if even necessary).

Thoughts?
  • PRO
    Shea Homes - Arizona
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Here is a great idea from or model out in Surprise, AZ. The designers did an awesome job with the combination of photo frames and lights. I think this design would look amazing in this space. Good luck!
  • chromacurve
    9 years ago
    Great look with the photo frames! And, yes, the floating frames adds the dynamic look. With your woodworking skills I'm sure you'll create a fabulous look!
  • dailydesigner
    9 years ago
    Maureen, above, has a great idea... just make sure you fill up the space. The door swings open to the wall you want to fill up. I'd open the door all the way and measure what's left of the wall length. Suggest adding an element of symmetry like two smaller consoles flanking an interesting bench settee with one lamp on each console (or one wall sconce above each) and interesting art above between the lamps or sconces . Alternately, two upholstered dining chairs flanking a very large console (w/two lamps on console). You can find great original artwork on etsy for a fraction of gallery pricing. Pictured are O&G Studios Colt settee, which comes in a wide variety of fun colors; West Elm's Reeve console; Aidan Gray's Pascal chair; Century Furniture's Sharp console; Hector Finch's Harriet swing arm; Shades of Light's Foo Dog pair (comes in ivory); Circa Lightning's Parish
  • dailydesigner
    9 years ago
    Rest of pics
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    A very long buffet type chest. 6ft. Something different. Over it a large painting.Z Galleries has some great art. West Elm also for furn to. Add a few accessories to buffet. Tall candle sticks. Plants. Big bowl for keys etc. TJ Max is great . Ck Ikea too.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    A long 6x9 area rug, in bold colors run in front of buffet towards door. Nothing right I. Front of door. You might add rod iron work to windows ,
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Ck pottery Barn for storage items with baskets, also crate and Barrel.
  • ejm9
    9 years ago
    Wow, wish I had your entry space to work with at my place! I agree with dailydesigner - a more 'filled' look is better. A combination of items will probably look best in your entry (console, hat rack, photos/mirror)
  • ejm9
    9 years ago
    A settee or bench would be lovely too!
  • ejm9
    9 years ago
    If you're concerned about storage, a nice dresser would do the trick - I think they're more of a formal look than a hall tree for the entry
  • PRO
    Lynne Lawson's Decorating Den Interiors
    9 years ago
    This is a beautiful area with lots of possibilities. It should reflect your style and personality. What is your decorating style? Do you prefer traditional, transitional, or contemporary? Also, is there a chandelier in the entry way? If yes, what finish is it (ie bronze, black, nickel, etc?
  • standardstaples
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Lynne, thanks for the response. Our style definitely goes more along the lines of contemporary, but we like it comfortable and homey, so we don't go so far as the ultra modern look and feel. We have several pieces from Pottery Barn, and a lot of our stuff has that same style. We have a pendant fixture in the entry, with an dining room with a chandelier. All of the fixtures in the home are nickel.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Excellent. Then maybe consider a long bench, which would work, since your stairway is angled into the space. A couple of really interesting mirrors above the bench (substantial size) and perhaps a sparse silk palm in the corner to the right of the front door. I will try to send a couple of images a little later.
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    if you are handy this could be a partial solution
    Lake Bluff custom residence · More Info

Custom Mudroom Cabinets - Austin, Texas · More Info

As per yr previous statement
    There isn't enough space by the garage door for a true "mud room" situation, so we had tossed around the idea of adding some sort of built-in bench/shoe storage in this area.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Please see the long elegant bench in the first room picture, and the tall antique silver-leaf toned mirrors in the second. Imagine the bench against your wall and the mirrors on top. With a sparse silk palm in the corner by the front door. If you do a hallway shoe rack, to keep the area uncluttered, consider having it built in with doors and drawers so that everything can be hidden away.
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 years ago
    I think the easiest way to enchance this space is by adding architecutural designs.

Consider a floor to ceiling batten wall.
    I have a great blog posts that may help.

http://timothyriversinteriors.com/2014/12/06/make-a-statement-in-your-entryway/