Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flairlightingsanclemente

Farmhouse Table, Costal home.....which one would you choose?

flair lighting
9 years ago
this small farmhouse table with a great view. Trying to keep it really simple, and "see through". She has to over sized pendants above the island that are square cage style, see photo.

Comments (33)

• adivra
    9 years ago
    While the cage fixtures are pretty, I don't care for them because the light is not directed where it's needed. They are strictly for ambience.
    flair lighting thanked adivra
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    she has recessed to compensate so its ok to go with esthetics
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    seems like that is the fashion right now! but will it be tired in two years?
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    Probably. But it is just a light fixture. Easy to change
    flair lighting thanked mfwolfe
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I hope so, it is the one that has been ordered.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    I like the round one (#2).
    flair lighting thanked makaloco
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i liked that too, it matched the table. I also liked number 4......the client is all about the lantern.
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    Flair..... I have become aware of your comments recently on this site because they seem well thought out......and I often agree with you!

So because I respect your opinion I would like to ask you more about these lights. What is it that you see here that makes you "like " the others better than the lantern? I see right off that the lantern looks old fashioned. But is there more that I am not seeing? Help me understand this, please.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The lantern will loose its fashion, I think the chandelier is more timeless, and less
    "theme -eee" Plus i like the idea of balance and the chandelier is a better scale in my opinion.
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    But a chandelier with a farmhouse table. I guess I need some more choices. Thanks for helping me out.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    im confused? You need more choices? Are you working on the same kind of project?
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 years ago
    I have to agree with you flair. Having lanterns above the island and the table almost borders on mathcy-matchy. I do like option 3 or 4 because of the scale in reference to the table and the color choices. Keep up the good work - you're an asset here.
    flair lighting thanked Whispar Design
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    No I am not working on any projects at all, at the moment. I thought the light choices were interesting, and I was interested in the thought behind them. Both your thoughts and the client's. Just a personal growth thing on my part.
  • Wendy
    9 years ago
    #3 is hard to see the details. Are the chairs black? If so, looks like #2 for me. Could be #3 depending....
    flair lighting thanked Wendy
  • proche32
    9 years ago
    Go with glass pendant light in picture #5. Keep it light and airy. It's a great coastal look. Makes the room look larger if that's an issue.
    flair lighting thanked proche32
  • hambirg
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I like #6 and #2 isn't bad either (but I think will look dated shortly). Surprisingly, I like how #5 is almost invisible in the space. . .functional but doesn't draw attention away from the other elements of the space. It's simple, clean and classic. I think if it was me, I would go with #5.
    flair lighting thanked hambirg
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i like the glass too!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    black iron chairs btw....
  • Wendy
    9 years ago
    I still like #2 with the table and chairs. But, I'm not sure it works with the cabinets. So, 5 or 6. lol
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    see, this lighting thing aint no easy task lol!
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    I think any of them could work EXCEPT the one the client chose. So yeah ...
  • Wendy
    9 years ago
    which fixture was chosen?
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Wendy, if you only knew what i am going through with this customer. Im so defected! the island pendants didnt work, the kitchen light still no progress. she has grand dreams for lighting, with only a nine foot ceiling...its hard to make it easy to understand that over sized farmhouse fixtures just will look stuck to the cieling, and the farm house theme by the beach....well......hgtv is produced on the east coast of Canada.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    she didnt take to any of the ones I put together above, ideas are welcome! i need to pendants for island and one for breakfast table.
  • Wendy
    9 years ago
    LOL! I'm sorry for laughing, but it is funny.

I do not have a specific product in mind, but would look for something like this.

Farmhouse & Company: Fabulous, Reclaimed Furniture · More Info

Then, 2 white barn pendants with pulleys above the island. It is farmhouse rustic and goes well with the table. The white shades feel a bit like beach and go with the cabinets.
    flair lighting thanked Wendy
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    Well, on the plus side, she didn't go for the lantern.
    flair lighting thanked makaloco
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 years ago
    Love the pulley pendant idea in white! How long is the table?
    Adjustable Pendant Lighting · More Info
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    oh i love the pully idea, i have one in the showroom by elk lighting that would really work for the table. Side note, she feels that 3 globes looks like a pool table light.....i love it. do you think it would work on a 9ft ceiling, over the 6 ft island?
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i sent it off to her see if she bites!
  • Wendy
    9 years ago
    Pool table....bah!

I think it can work, as long as the pulley system isn't too big and bulky.

And, good luck!
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 years ago
    I assume you are talking the 8" and not the 14" in the same series? The minimum adjustment height on the 8" is 39" so with her ceiling height, that puts them at 79" above the floor. It gives you some wiggle room I think?

Have you asked her about the Wilmington pulley double island fixture? Might be another option.
    flair lighting thanked Whispar Design
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i emailed her photos yesterday. I also found a canopy adapter that will allow me to hang two pendants off one power source, the last one I found was much larger in scale, so Im hoping that works. haven't heard back yet.....