Kitchen cabinet redo... Opinions/advice needed!
laurihov
My DH and I have been slowly working on updating in our house, esp. the kitchen. Last fall/winter we ripped up all of our old flooring & put in (all by ourselves, first time ever) wood floors. They turned out beautifully! Then in the spring we put in granite countertops. We updated the island by adding bead board and I painted the whole thing an off white. I love the way it turned out! (You can still see wood grain on doors but I don't mind.) Now comes my dilemma... Do I paint the rest of the cabinets the same or leave the island as a focal point & stain the cabinets dark? My DH loves dark cabinets but I am worried it will be too much dark with the floors. (Btw... We are going to be changing out the other appliances for SS and will add moulding to the top of the cabinets.) Please help! Thank you!
Capital Kitchen & Bath
Black stained oak is a great look and would go nicely with the floors. Maybe add some under cabinet lighting too!
July 16, 2014 at 12:08pm   
Barnhart Gallery
Dark on the bottom set, and continue your island's white on the upper cabs. Let me see if I can find an example...
[houzz=Addition: Kitchen] [houzz=White and walnut kitchen] [houzz=Lake Chatuge Fishing Lodge] [houzz=Greenbrae, CA]
July 16, 2014 at 12:20pm     
tilleylove
Oh my..your floors are gorgeous! Could you please share the brand color you used? We are looking to put hardwood in our kitchen too. As for your question, I love the color of the island! I would say to paint the others white too, but I love all white kitchens:).
July 16, 2014 at 12:26pm      Thanked by laurihov
Premier Design & Cabinetry
When you get the chance a nice subway tile backsplash would help bring everything together. Great job on the floor!
July 16, 2014 at 1:10pm      Thanked by laurihov
Nichole Staker Design
I would recommend not having too many contrasting finishes due to the scale of your kitchen. If your island is white I would make the cabinets white or gray but suggest keeping the base and wall cabinets the same color. That way the floor will pop and with the bead board detail the island will still feel special. For back splash select a color that is found within your granite. All hardware can switch to a uniform selection to marry everything together.
July 16, 2014 at 1:27pm     
laurihov
Thanks for all the feedback! I am leaning toward doing it all off white (if I can convince DH)...love two-toned look but Nicole is right, my kitchen is small. Never thought of the darker color taking away from the floor but I agree! We put too much time, energy & $$ into the floor to take away from it! Our floors are Acacia wood. We got it at Lowes. After a lot of research & time and several mind changes we decided this fit perfectly with our "rustic charm" look we were going for. (That and with 3 kids, a big dog & 3 cats, we have to be able to hide imperfections!)
July 16, 2014 at 2:02pm     
laurihov
I am planning on tiling after I paint. Subway tiles are my preference. These are some we were looking at. I love the big square sheet of different colored small tiles too (maybe cut apart as accent or use as focal point behind SS stove? It has pretty bronze & greys in it).
July 16, 2014 at 2:09pm     
tilleylove
Are the acacia floors hardwood prefinished, or engineered? I love the subway tiles. For ours, I'm doing all subway, and then making a board to hang with a tile motif over the range. That way, if you ever get tired of it, you can easily change the tile on the board only. That might be a good option for you too. Also, for the hood, are you planning to build a wooden hood or ss?
July 16, 2014 at 2:39pm   
Nichole Staker Design
I love the timeless look of a subway-- it is neither trendy nor staid-- and I think your selection on the left fits seamlessly with your granite. I love your whiter subway selection as well but it is too white for your counters. If you paint your cabinets off white that will keep the space bright rather than turning muddy. Pretty!
July 16, 2014 at 2:55pm        Thanked by laurihov
laurihov
So Nichole, the smaller subway tiles with various shades if I paint off white? Or should I try to find darker larger subway tiles? Tilleylove, I love the idea of the board to hang! Never thought of that. We are planning on putting in a SS hood to go over our new SS stove
July 16, 2014 at 3:02pm   
laurihov
Tilleylove... Flooring info from Lowes.com....Natural Floors by USFloors 3/4-in Solid Acacia Hardwood Flooring Sample
Item #: 462521 | Model #: 10L70LACHSM0
July 16, 2014 at 3:19pm     
Austin Boudreaux
like the lighter color subway tiles
July 16, 2014 at 3:30pm   
Nichole Staker Design
I think the selection you have (the left subway) is really nice with your granite-- I also feel that it reads stylistically the same as the bead board creating a nice cohesive space. The color depth of your floor will provide enough "dark" for your space to feel grounded.
July 16, 2014 at 4:49pm        Thanked by laurihov
flyr4fun
Beautiful floors, nice job! Off white for your cabinets would look nice with your floors, granite & backsplash.
July 16, 2014 at 6:13pm      Thanked by laurihov
Nichole Staker Design
You're welcome! Good luck!
July 16, 2014 at 6:47pm   
tilleylove
Looking back at your tiles, have you looked at the lighter travertine tiles? You could get those in a subway tile, and I think they give it more dimension than the flat. Also, looking under light led strips....what we are about to do. And before you do the backsplash, now is the time to lower outlets if you need to, or hide them under the cabinets. I have been looking at doing that for ours.
July 16, 2014 at 6:51pm   
Construction Guaranteed
You are selecting from wonderful materials.
July 16, 2014 at 6:56pm   
laurihov
Ok, next question. I have decided to go for it & paint the rest of my kitchen off white!
(This is where I was leaning but had convince DH who is a "dark wood" kind of guy! Nichole's comment about making the floor pop really convinced me! And since I am the painter DH gave in! ) What color knobs? Bronze like the sink faucet & outlet covers or brushed nickel like appliances?
July 17, 2014 at 7:16am   
Stone Harbor Hardware
Your kitchen looks great! I'd suggest using bronze knobs to coordinate with your faucet and outlet covers. Plus, they will contrast nicely with your off-white paint. Here's a couple ideas to get you started!
July 17, 2014 at 8:03am   
Nichole Staker Design
If you are leaving your faucet oil rubbed bronze I would recommend connecting the knobs and pulls to that finish. Both oil rub bronze and polished nickel or chrome look lovely with stainless appliances-- they just create different looks. Oil rubbed bronze feels warmer and homey, silver/chrome is crisper and modern. What I do think would be lovely is to use cup pulls on your drawers and knobs on your cabinet doors. It lends itself to the same aesthetic as your bead board.
July 17, 2014 at 8:16am   
adivra
Paint. Normally, I'd go with a plain color tile, but, I like the tile on the left side of the picture if in real life it isn't too busy. Not the mosaics, they tend to be confusing when working at the kitchen counter. Larger tiles mean less grout to clean and a newer look.
July 17, 2014 at 8:16am   
Century Hardware
I think an oil rubbed bronze would look great with your layout! Something really simple will really make it pop!
July 17, 2014 at 11:45am   
Need advice on kitchen/family room redo...
I would love some advice on redoing this kitchen and...
Need advice for kitchen table and chairs re-do please!
(I wrote another post about this a week or so ago,...
Need a kitchen cabinet professional opinion!
I'm remodeling my kitchen and my custom cabinets are...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Ceiling paint color for a room with bone colored walls.
I have a small living room off to the left of the foyer...
Bay window looking out onto sun room
Isn't it weird to have a bay window that looks out...