Furniture placement help needed, please.
Patricia
I have tried a few different furniture arrangements and none do I especially like. This is my family room. It's 21' X 15' 4" and sunken a couple of steps. At one end is a passage door to the hearth room, the fireplace, and a built-in bar. Along one side and at the other end are double windows (but not real wide) right in the middle of the walls. The other side wall has a passage door to the office/living room, left of center.

The main function of the room is family TV watching, reading, and gathering place. It feels too large to have the furniture all against the walls, but not large enough to have it floating in seating groups. Anything can go and I have other chairs and tables that could be added/replaced. Any help is appreciated!! Thank you in advance.
Patricia
A few more angles.
July 16, 2014 at 7:08PM   
abbyjean
Such a nice big room! I am feeling sad, though, that the fireplace is basically being ignored in this room. I think the chest is taking up prime space and was wondering if it could go back on one of the walls the tv is currently on and if we could get the tv up closer to the fireplace, so furniture could all be turned and facing that direction together and no choices have to be made then.

Maybe the hutch could be transformed in to a book shelf type unit and a few comfy chairs could be in the back corner with it, if you decide to move the hutch, that is. Then the couch could float in the room and the console table under the window could go behind the couch and still be functional for that smaller, other part of the room.
July 16, 2014 at 7:29PM        Thanked by Patricia
abbyjean
If you are willing to try moving a few things and post new pics, we can keep working with fine tuning things and art placement on the walls, too.
July 16, 2014 at 7:33PM      Thanked by Patricia
Patricia
Abbyjean, I agree about the fireplace. I'd like for it to be a focal point as well, just didn't know where to put the TV near it. In your first paragraph, what are you referring to as the chest?
July 16, 2014 at 7:39PM   
abbyjean
Not sure what I was thinking when I said chest. I mean your china hutch. Sorry about the confusion. I love repurposing them and even leaving a door or two open, so I thought it could work in another spot in the room with a few of the chairs near it.
July 16, 2014 at 7:44PM        Thanked by Patricia
I agree with abbyjean. Have the TV and hutch exchange places. Float the sofa perpendicular to the fireplace facing the TV, with a chair or two facing the fireplace, or a single chair angled toward the TV. Keep the chaise in the corner where it is.

Any furniture that doesn't get used needs to go away. The room looks overstuffed.
July 16, 2014 at 8:20PM        Thanked by Patricia
Design Details Unlimited
Try painting built in cupboard nx to fp the wall color
So it will kind of disappear..I agree ,too much bulky furniture try
Facing fp with sofa and flanking chairs.....all seems too matchy
Matchy!!
July 16, 2014 at 8:40PM      Thanked by Patricia
nmowers
Looks like you have very nice furniture, but my first reaction is that there's too much in here, even for a big room. The fireplace looks neglected with the furniture turned away from it. Do you have 2 leather chairs? Maybe have those 2 chairs set fairly close together but angled and facing the fireplace. If you had some overhead lighting, could still be used for reading as well. My sister had a similar problem with a fireplace between two doorways and media center at a different end of the room. She used swivel club chairs. I've also seen 2 loveseats facing each other set perpendicular to the fireplace. I would try to leave any doorways with steps down open and unobstructed. Give youself room for a grand entrance. My son who's 23 suggested getting rid of the coffee table. Just throwin' it out there. He's not the only young man I've heard complaining about bulky coffee tables. Must be their big feet. You could try angling the TV instead of the couch and chairs.
July 16, 2014 at 9:26PM      Thanked by Patricia
Need some help on colors, furniture, furniture placement and wall art
Hello! I need some help on my living room. I'm trying...
Need help choosing right furniture and placement of furniture
Living room is large and very open 20 by 30, one wall...
Need help with placement of furniture and design help
This room has been gutted and a open canvas... I am...
What should we do with this outdated fireplace?
There are so many options out there but we're looking...
Landscape for small front yard
Landscape ideas for small front yard. Please help...
Need help with a new front entry.
The existing door does not face the street. I would...
Fireplace help please.
Is this wall art piece too small for this spot? Should...
Master Bedroom progress
We replaced the dark green carpet with a beige diamond...