Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: How many decorative pillows on your bed?

Emily H
9 years ago
Do you have decorative and/or throw pillows on your bed? If you do, how many are on your bed right now?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Comments (195)

• Marty Mapson
    9 years ago
    Cakes are to be 'decorated', not beds.
  • lake1114
    9 years ago
    marty-Why? Beds are just as inviting and utilized more than cakes!
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Beds are to be decorated, just like the rest of the house. I don't care if my cake is decorated, we just eat it and it's gone. I have to look at my bed and house every day, I want it to be nice!!! Why would you be on a house decorating site, Marty, if you don't think they should be decorated?
    9 years ago
    Shars55... what makes the poll interesting and fun, is the diversity of opinions. Both you and Marty shared your perspective in an entertaining way that made me laugh. :) The full range of decorating styles [from simple to packed with trinkets] should be welcome on this site.
  • Nan Schnabel
    9 years ago
    Keep in mind that some people are minimalist and believe that less is more. Gotta respect other choices. My sister in law loves frilly, flowery, ruffled Victorian which makes me want to barf. I lean towards clean lines and more of an eclectic mix and believe that less is more. To each his own.
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    What does "less is more mean"?
  • Nan Schnabel
    9 years ago
    I guess the easiest way of explaining it would be the story of Coco Chanel who said when you're ready to go out, dress completely including shoes, jewelry, hat, etc then look in the mirror and take one thing off. In that way she believed that many people would overdo their dressing. One doesn't need to wear all their jewelry to be noticed, a couple tastefully chosen pieces is actually more appealing.

In relation to houses, have you ever gone into a home where you think they couldn't fit another thing in it? I'm not talking hoarders here but oodles of knick knacks and collections, chairs and tables stuffed in all over. My eye doesn't know where to look and I'm usually too concerned about knocking something over. If only they'd put a few things into storage and rotate them periodically then less would be more.

Sorry didn't mean to get so long winded but I hope I was able to illustrate my meaning.
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Six which include two that say "less is not more", the second one says, "less is really less".
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Nan, no problem about being long winded.
    We are all different in most everything, and that includes our taste in decorating. People should be able to decorate their homes the way they want, and those who enter their homes, should not worry about how the host has the home decorated, after all, it is not the home we are friends with, but the person in the home.
    As far as Coco was concerned, she should have omitted some practices in her life, which would have done her much good.
  • PRO
    Dawson & Clinton
    9 years ago
    Generally 2 or 3. No reason to over do it.
  • hair2660
    9 years ago
    Perfectly said!!! Everybody is different in every way! Whatever! .)
  • sno4rent
    9 years ago
    I had two "decorative" pillows on my bed, however, the dog didn't care much for my decorating style. She took them out the doggie door and proceeded to shred them leaving pillow fluffies all over the yard... Nothing like snow in the summertime! :-)
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    snow, your post is so funny ;0). I think next time you need to clear your decorating choices with Miss pooch, otherwise there will be more shredding going on!! Lol.
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Hey Sharon ;0).
  • PRO
    Decorating Den Interiors
    9 years ago
    Five! Three Euros, One full width pillow & One accent !
  • Paul Davis
    9 years ago
    Came across a photo of Ron and I, Paul Davis, on your cottage deck many moons ago. Both fast asleep with books resting on our chests. Nice to see your gardening passion is continuing. Trying to get and email of Ron my phone is 250-508-3534. love the water treatment...
  • Liane B
    9 years ago
    Hi Paul, will call you
  • MicKat Ken
    9 years ago
    Funny find: I once read a suggestion that pillows should cover no more than 1/3 of the bed. That's a lot of pillows to remove and replace each day!
  • PRO
    Elite Interior Staging
    9 years ago
    I think decorative pillows are meant to be just that, decorative! The more the merrier :-)

Vacant Property Staging - Ft. Washington, Maryland · More Info
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    hair 2660, and makaloco, the older I get the more I feel the NEED for earrings, lol.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    The older I get I feel the need for hearing aides.
  • User
    9 years ago
    If earrings and mascara are the pillows, what is lipstick and deodorant?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    The duvet and the mattress pad.
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Hey Chook ;0), deodorant? What is deodorant?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    It's something you use if you want to have friends.
  • lavenderandteacup
    9 years ago
    I have just two - one regular one for sleeping on, and one small square one. I have a single bed, and my room is very relaxed and country - blue and white china, creamy linen, big window letting in lots of light, a pitcher of lavender. I think that a mountain of pillows wouldn't sit well with the rest of the room, as well as being too much for a single bed. I think one is just enough to make it look comfortable!
    Having said that, some people pull lots of pillows off amazingly... they can look amazingly opulent when they're done right. It all depends on what feels right for your personality!
  • Deborah Vaders
    9 years ago
    I have a pillow addiction. I buy more all the time and have a closet filled with the ones not in rotation. My bed is covered with them and down blankets and throws. It's rather a cocoon or a nest where I can fall into a SLUMBER like a baby does. The pillows I choose are always feather and down but only occasionally beaded or adorned with delicates. Usually in durable type covers so they stand up to being slept in and on. The cat likes it too. In all fairness the headboard is over 7 ft tall so a mountain of pillows looks good on my bed too.
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Deborah, we just moved to another house, during the move, I could not believe all the deco pillows I had accumulated. Hubby at this moment is installing extra shelves to store said pillows, lol ;0).
    Would love to see your "pillow" closet, I'll post some pics when we are organised.
  • n247080
    9 years ago
    The REAL question is, where do you put the pillows when you're trying to sleep in the bed?
    9 years ago
    Ah, yes... that is the sensible question. That is why I limited myself to 2 - 3 small decorative pillows. I lack time to move them and actually use them while sleeping, so I've balanced my desire for both sensible use of time/space/$$ and beauty. :)
  • Lorraine Skoglund
    8 years ago

I'm at 6 now... maybe more to come :-)

• SueBee
    8 years ago

My husband and I each have three, counting the shams, plus my bling pillow.

• Melynda
    8 years ago
    Extra bed pillows but no decorative pillows. Most are all looks and no comfort - if I wouldn't want to fall asleep on it, why would it be in my bed?! I keep just enough extra bed pillows around for propping myself up to read (number can vary based on current state of fluffiness of available pillows). If any need to hit the floor so I have room to sleep, they are outa there.
  • Karen Ginas
    7 years ago
    BUT I keep getting rid of them down to 3 had 5. I am so tired of the comforter ,sham, pillow square circular. Looking for BEADSPREAD that I can tuck under 2 pillows. Done wit dust ruffles everything is a dust collector. Then everything piled on chair so you can sleep then start all over again in the morning.
  • detailaddict
    7 years ago

I have a number of decorative pillows as well that have to be stored...I do wish more retailers would offer the designs as covers to be put over a standard form, rather than yet another pillow. I need to install zippers in several of the ones I have and find or make forms for them - less storage space, and easier to throw in the wash.

• Kathy Yata
    7 years ago

I have 4 bed pillows but a square vintage barkcloth pillow caught my eye and is nicely bridging the gap between the MCM yellow/gray/black geometric design curtains and 1950's bleached mahogany furniture and traditional solid sage green quilt that covers the bed.

Admire those that can keep up with lots of pillows but I'm going for a more pared down look these days.

• PRO
    darleen wong
    7 years ago

6 for a single

7+ double/queen

10+ king

• Jill K
    7 years ago
    Two decorative pillows that are a nod to one of our favorite movies (we're both huge Star Wars fans). The pillow on his side says "I Love You" and the pillow on my side says "I Know."
  • PRO
    darleen wong
    7 years ago

I like that Jill K :)

• divecaribbean
    7 years ago

Two 20", two 16" and the accent pillow.

I can leave the house without earrings but never without mascara.

• PRO
    Elite Interior Staging
    7 years ago

I love accent pillows! The more, the better.. 5, 6, 7...

• tooky58
    7 years ago

@luv_viv, I don't have any decorative pillows on our bed. And I don't believe it's because of laziness or being disorganized, we just don't like the look. Imo the bed looks very pretty with our wedding quilt and our pretty bed linens.

Too each her own.

• cra4
    5 years ago
    I like a lot of pillows.... as you can see!
  • PRO
    darleen wong
    5 years ago

It's never enough

• PRO
    darleen wong
    5 years ago

just make sure you have a spicy colour in there. It could be a throw or another cushion, but the texture and colour should be a colour you love! Don't make it so neat. :)

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 years ago

I find 4-5 to be the sweet spot!

• margaret8000
    5 years ago
    I have 2 pillows for sleeping and 2 in shams that help decorate the room and are "storage" for when overflow guests need pillows. I have tons of houseguests and need all the pillows I can keep. I do throw them on the floor at night, which is totally fine. I throw them back on the bed in the morning and am not fussy about it.
  • PRO
    Sea Ranch Abalone Bay
    3 years ago

I finally gave up on decorative pillows for both our personal home and our short term rental - especially now with the COVID-19 cleaning protocols that I'll need to have in place for the security/safety of our guests... less is more these days

Plus as my husband loves to remind me he regains "Two days of his life back!"

https://youtu.be/bMVWECam8EA

• Rosefolly
    2 years ago

I got rid of all our decorative pillows except for the ones on the window seat. I may get rid of them, too. I don't really like decorative pillows all that much, too fussy for my taste.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I have only 4 standard pillows on my bed. My husband and I love to read, and we prop them up a bit when reading. From a practical standpoint, decorative pillows would be a nuisance to us and a safety hazzard when not in use ( where do you put them??). Also, we have a cherry Shaker style bedroom set, I love its simplicity, and feel my pillow count goes with the simple Shaker style.