Front entry is boring
mtcii
This is the front entry of our home. We think it's boring and needs something but not sure what. We live in AZ. We've considered iron entry door but don't want the area to look like prison bars and don't have an unlimited budget. Plus we need to tie in the side windows. Any and all ideas welcome!!!
Brandi Nash Hicks
How about a new color for the front door,like tomato red and a big nice rug think big outside the door...then large house numbers beside the door with a lantern...then some big colorful pots on either side or the door,think something with the tomato red in it to tie it all together.i think the white blinds are throwing off the front door.Have you ever thought about glass paint...maybe painting them to look like stained glass?
0 Likes   Thanked by mtcii    July 17, 2014 at 5:34PM
Brandi Nash Hicks
You could add a iron bench to the right on your porch with cushions too
0 Likes   Thanked by mtcii    July 17, 2014 at 5:35PM
KORY
I think adding a very large scale wrought iron light fixture from the ceiling would brighten the space and add visual interest. Something chandelieresque.
3 Likes   Thanked by mtcii    July 17, 2014 at 5:57PM
Maureen
A spanish style door with glass would be so pretty - the door below is $4,000 but it's mahogny. I'm sure you could find something similar that is less expensive. You could then have the "door people" duplicate the same inserts to the side panels. Also, place another large pot on other side of door for balance. Add a large indoor/outdoor carpet in some vibrant colors, a large hanging lantern and perhaps a wrough iron bench on the side wall..
;
0 Likes   Thanked by mtcii    July 18, 2014 at 8:18AM
Gina Fray Design LLC
I love the ideas above! I live in AZ also and would add plants..... if you are a DIYer then add irrigation lines from your existing system and purchase some big colorful pots and plant palms and perhaps a couple of small trees or very large shrubs (go big here) to soften the entry. I would then add a couple of outdoor portable up lights and place them behind the plants and on a timer to create night time drama.
0 Likes   Thanked by mtcii    July 18, 2014 at 8:30AM
iidfa
We also live in Arizona and have a beautiful rod iron door. However if that's not in your budget, how about sconces on the pillars? Just a thought! I also feel the door colour is a bit clashing with the overall color scheme of the house's exterior. But anyway, beautiful house! :D
0 Likes   Thanked by mtcii    July 18, 2014 at 8:31AM
Lantern & Scroll
A hanging lantern would look beautiful over your front door. Here are a few that would look great over your door. www.lanternandscroll.com to view more of our collections! buyfrom@lanternandscroll.com is our email if you have any questions!

Cheers!
0 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 11:34AM
Kevin Strader
I would find a double iron door with decorative glass that fit the space of the existing door and the two sidelights which really don't have any connection to the existing door. Something like this.
1 Like   Thanked by mtcii    July 18, 2014 at 12:49PM
mtcii
iidfa, where did you get your door? Can you post a picture?
0 Likes   July 19, 2014 at 11:07AM
Cast Glass Images Inc.
Custom decorative glass would look nicely in the two side windows and would still give you privacy.
0 Likes   Thanked by mtcii    August 29, 2014 at 4:29PM
bgfuqua
paint the frame around the door cream color, then paint a band of that same size around each of the side lights. add more planted pots.
0 Likes   Thanked by mtcii    August 29, 2014 at 4:46PM
Nevin Nelson Design Inc.
The problem is the scale. The two posts dwarf the door. Kevin's idea for double doors is good, but I would also drop a hanging light out from the doors a couple of feet. You could put some great hardware on the door, maybe a verdi patina. I'm wondering if you could make the doors a little higher.
1 Like   Thanked by mtcii    August 29, 2014 at 4:47PM
Lisa G
I like the hanging lantern idea and also trimming out the door to make it appear larger. Paint the trim a cream.
0 Likes   Thanked by mtcii    August 29, 2014 at 5:05PM
hokens
How about painting the door cobalt blue? I like the black iron chandelier posted above. That would help fill the space.
0 Likes   Thanked by mtcii    August 29, 2014 at 8:15PM
Grown Solutions
Installing Hanging Garden Trellises from grownsolutions.com on both sides of the walk would add contrasting color and beauty.
0 Likes   Thanked by mtcii    August 29, 2014 at 11:14PM
My front entry is boring, boring, boring - please help!
My front door area is a snoozefest! I have two sidelights...
jensie
First house, boring front exterior, and insane front landscaping.
We just purchased our first home and the front exterior...
amandaandal
Boring Front Yard before and after!
My front yard, right in front of my house, was so boring...
Kimbrali Nemsdale-Gilman
Help a small boring front room!
The paint, curtains and white dresser stay. The white...
elw4797
Need help with the front of the boring house we bought..
We have since poured a 13x13 concrete pad in front...
bepipe
My shady landscaping needs a facelift!
My landscaping is stuck in the '90s, and I have too...
cissyschuttee
Request design advice from the Pros for an inspiring exterior!
Here is my colonial stucco home. I am changing the...
kellychipley
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
rredpenn
What flooring matches? I'm stumped :(
Three trips back and forth with flooring samples and...
milanjensen