Plain picture window needs and a makeover1
tnischikJuly 18, 2014
We have a 50's ranch with a huge (108" x 60") picture window in the front of the house. The glass is fixed. From the front of our house it looks very plain like a black blob. I have trouble on the inside because window treatments won't fit without being broken up in to 2 or more sections. I hang drapes for privacy but they look like sheets hanging from the outside.
Down the road we would like to put in a box window and break up the window into 3 sections. However, in the meantime what would you do? Add fake Muntins? What style? ( Please ignore our overgrown and scraggly landscape, it's on the list of things to do.)
Patricia Colwell
No to the muntins they don't suit this style of houseI would put the flower boxes in now not later and see how that works. I would also paint the door some brighter color to draw your eye. Remember to put different things in the planter withthe seasons even in winter they can have cedar boughs holly with the berries
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by tnischik    July 18, 2014 at 9:40AM
cctuttle
Agree with painting the door with a bold color to create a focal point at the entrance. Your home has a hint of Oriental feel - go with red. Like the look of the picture window from the outside the house - agree no muntins. Hard to tell about the inside - more photos would help. Consider a bamboo roman shade with drapery panels on either side. Extend the rod at least 12" to the outsides of the window so the panels don't encroach on the window. Bamboo shades have a very nice textural look from the outside.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by tnischik    July 18, 2014 at 9:54AM
tnischik
Hi Patricia,
I meant box window not window box . The window would come out about 18" with a small ledge or seat on the inside.. However, I am planning to put a window box in the smaller window on the left. There are so many different styles of muntins. I think if someone has the right look for the house it could work. I just don't know what would look best. Thanks for your comment!
Terra
    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:00AM
zweiback
I agree with Patricia about the muntins not working and painting your door a brighter color. A temporary fix for that big window might be some sort of decorative treatment to give it some definition.
    Bookmark   Thanked by tnischik    July 18, 2014 at 10:00AM
zweiback
oops…deleted 2 of my pictures somehow
1 Like    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:03AM
tnischik
I do agree about the Asian feel. The hip roof and Asian feel is what attracted us to the house when we bought it. It was a disaster when we bought it, so other than the location, it was probably all that we were attracted to!
Ok Ok, I'll drop the Muntin idea.
Zweiback, I love those suggestions. They are Beautiful.
Cctuttle, do you think Bamboo shades would come in 108"? If so that would be beautiful, at least from the inside.
Thank you for your comments!
    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:09AM
cctuttle
Can't say exactly how wide the bamboo shades come but you can install 2 side by side. ! would probably sag anyway. As for the interior, depends on the look you want. They would go well with an Oriental vibe and they add nice textural interest. If you want an elegant polished look then no.
    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:23AM
tnischik
Unfortunately, I searched for bamboo shades and could only find a max width of 74". I would need two on one header. Which would look very dorky! UGH This WINDOW!!
    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:34AM
tnischik
What about this...
The center window is pretty. What are everyone's thoughts on the center picture window? This is what I was thinking of for breaking up the window.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 11:46AM
suestrait
I changed our huge picture window into a window like the middle one, where the two sides are 30" double-hungs that open. I don't know that you want the muntins in the middle of the side windows though, too busy -- leave those out and it's a more open feel.
    Bookmark   Thanked by tnischik    July 18, 2014 at 3:08PM
tnischik
@Suestrait can you post a photo of your window? I'd like to see how it looks.
thanks for your comment.
    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 4:22PM
ohrelax
A nice house! Beautiful wood blinds would look great from the inside and outside. They also provide quick and easy privacy. I know JC Penny does reasonably priced custom blinds.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by tnischik    July 18, 2014 at 5:42PM
tnischik
Thank you very much ohrelax ! I think if I find a way to divide up the window attractively, I could have wood blinds. As it stands the window is too wide for them.
    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:35PM
ohrelax
If customized, you can have window treatments made in any width. I used to have a huge window like yours and had a good quality mini blind made that I loved.
    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 8:46PM
ohrelax
The only thing that bothered me about that window (and it REALLY bothered me), was that it didn't open. For that reason alone, I think you will appreciate the fresh air a new window can provide : O).
    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 8:50PM
peeb
I have a large window in my living room that is divided into three with each outside windows half the size of the center window. The outside windows open. I hated the proportion of the window (1 large, 2 small) and was going to replace it with a window with equal panes. I was planning on ordering plantation shutters anyway and when the guy came out to measure, we talked about options. I decided not to change the window; instead, I put in the plantation shutters which ended up dividing the three section window into four equal parts (2 shutters on the center window and 1 on each side). It made a huge difference to the look from both outside and inside and I saved the price of the window!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by tnischik    July 19, 2014 at 12:00AM
ohrelax
Good idea, Peeb! I love plantation shutters; they're on most of my windows.
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 1:48AM
tnischik
Peeb, I love plantation shutters. My parents had them throughout their house in their last house. They were gorgeous. I will call and get a price on having them installed on that window. It's a great option. Thank you!
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 6:32AM
ohrelax
Peeb, perhaps you could post a few pictures -- shutters open, half open, closed? Again, a great suggestion to break up the window while adding character!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by tnischik    July 19, 2014 at 8:29AM
suestrait
here is a picture of the re-done window; the old one was this wide with a dark wood frame,
1 Like    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:53AM
tnischik
I agree!! Can you post pictures? I think that is going to be my answer. Thanks for posting
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:18AM
peeb
Yup, here they are... I got the 4" shutters and love them!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 3:09PM
ohrelax
peeb, thank you! Yes, they look great! Do you have 4 separate pieces or 2? I'm really curious -- what do they look like if you open each piece partway, or fold them back a bit, from both the inside and the outside of the house? Can that be done or do you always leave the 2 or 4 in place, as pictured?
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:01PM
tnischik
Wow! They are really beautiful! I can't quite get over the price ($1000-1400) for my window, but I would love to have something that looked that good from the outside. I might have to bite the bullet and do it. They are gorgeous! Your house looks very nice by the way. Thanks for posting!
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:05PM
ohrelax
I just reread your post -- you have 4 pieces. So there are 4 wood strips with hinges, right? Again, what do they look like if you open 1 or 2 or all of them partway or fold a couple pieces back? From inside and outside? (Thanks so much for indulging me. This is very helpful!)
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:07PM
peeb
I don't ever open them up (pull them open) unless it would be to clean...or if I wanted to open the window, which I don't ever do because I don't want bugs in the house. (I hated the way it looked with screens in so I took them off -- only the two outside windows had screens. The center window doesn't open. I'm really picky about having them all open at the same angle. Because when I was a little girl I had a bedroom at the front center top floor of the house. There were two windows and they had shades. My mom always got on me if I didn't have them both at the same level. She said it looked like one eye open and one eye shut. Ha ha. If the shutters are open slanted up a little, you have great visibility and it is difficult to see in from the outside. Of course, you can just shut them if you want privacy.
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:11PM
peeb
You guys might want to see the before and after pics of my house to see the difference these shutters made. We added a little more stucco term and painted so it looks a bit different that way too but I think you can see how much the shutters added. They were expensive but like I said, I didn't end up having to buy a new window so that was a big savings!!
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:17PM
ohrelax
One eye open and one eye shut -- funny! I'm the same way, peeb; I have plantation shutters on most of the windows and I'm pretty OCD about lining them up! Thanks so much for posting the pictures! What a difference! Since there are four pieces, I get why you don't pull them open. Your house and your yard are really pretty.

What are you thinking, Tnischik? Plantation shutters are expensive. Maybe you should wait and put the money into a box window? On the other hand, they're beautiful and may be a long lasting solution. When I had the custom mini blind made at JCPenny they had a 50% off sale at the time, and the blind cost $600 -- and that was around 15 years ago. But Penny's has sales all the time. (Also keep in mind that 4-inch wooden blinds would provide a very similar effect and might cost less than shutters.) Which ever way you go, I think your window will look really nice. Like Peeb, you have great taste :O).
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:21PM
Plain family room need help with accents
This is my family room. Right now it has no flare to...
gwinnett1983
Help for my Living Room!/Keeping room. too plain!
My living room/keeping room just off the kitchen has...
bouckcottage
Plain Colonial - wanting some informal, inviting appealing Craftsman Details added
We purchased a 2 year old colonial cream sided, dark...
Amie Horvath
HELP!! Sad, plain, DIY design fail! Let's start with the exterior!
We purchased this home last July & are astounded by...
Tabitha Hopkins
Wallpaper Remove or Paint
Please share with me why you would not paint wallpaper...
Purposeful Interiors, LLC
Need to replace my existing tub in my bathroom
I have a jacuzzi tub in my Master bath, I would like...
helenefinds
Help with dining room?
New construction this is a phot of our dining room,...
bailey510
Master Bathroom
I am redoing my master bathroom and have space to "enclose"...
hillwalker1999
Strange Roof Feature - Ideas?
I'm tying to come up with an affordable improvement...
nataz