Kitchen & family room together in one room. Help!

maggie17joplinJuly 18, 2014
We just bought this cute lake retreat. It's going to be our permanent home. The kitchen and family room altogether in one room. I feel as if the kitchen is overtaking the entire room.

Recommendations on what I can do?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julieellen
Congratulations on your purchase.... Lovely view :-) I think your right... In these photos the kitchen is taking over.... But personally I think it's only because the rest of the area is bare... The cabinetry is the only thing to look at right now, but add your furniture and I'm sure the issue will solve itself :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggie17joplin    July 18, 2014 at 10:10AM
Maureen
I think the tiles are what is making the whole area feel too much like a kitchen. If you could, add wood flooring and it will feel more like a living area as well. Adding a banquette under the window and bar stools will also create a more inviting casual area. I'm sure once you put up window treatmetns and add furniture in the family room, it will be more than fine. Enjoy your new home.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggie17joplin    July 18, 2014 at 10:16AM
cctuttle
Looks like a fabulous place. Agree that furniture will help a lot! Consider painting the back of the kitchen island a vivid color that draws your eye away from all the white cabinetry - a color that becomes the statement color for the living room such as teal blue or Kelly green. Photos of your furniture would help...
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggie17joplin    July 18, 2014 at 10:17AM
PRO
Chroma Kitchen and Bath Design
Fantastic home! It has a great foundation for you to build upon. It looks to me that the two spaces need to be unified more seamlessly. I don't know how much work you're looking to do, but I would start by extending the island parallel to the stove to create more symmetry and add pendant lights over the bar, this creates a visual barrier between the two rooms. Next I would add a banquette under the window for an extra eating area. Wood floors would look amazing with the white cabinets and would warm up both rooms if you extended the floors throughout the house. I don't feel like the kitchen is over powering the living room, kitchens that open up to the family room are common and very practical these days, but its finding the balance between unifying the two rooms and still keeping them separate. Hope this helps.
    Bookmark   Thanked by maggie17joplin    July 18, 2014 at 10:23AM
PRO
Davida's Kitchen & Tiles
Nice open layout! The space is definitely sparse at this moment. However, if you want to divide the kitchen from the living room you can place your furniture strategically to accomplish this. Place the couch with the back facing the kitchen, add two side chairs, a rug underneath the furniture, and a TV. Behind the couch maybe a small table where you could place pictures or decorations. This will help make the distinction. Check out the link below!
Breezy Brentwood · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by maggie17joplin    July 18, 2014 at 10:26AM
Gina
Will be beautiful just needs softened up! I think the white flooring is the problem not the kitchen itself. Wood flooring is a good idea or a wood look tile but if your budget doesn’t allow then a large area rug defining the family room would help. Add a banquette with tuns of pillows in the bump out or a table with fabric covered chairs. Once you start adding in your furniture I’m sure it will all come together. Fabulous Home!
    Bookmark   Thanked by maggie17joplin    July 18, 2014 at 10:32AM
PRO
Iconic Deco
Great house and view. Hope that you enjoy your new place. I would do something like this as here. Long white curtains, to keep the room bright, and lots for greens. Blue (royal-navy) sofas, or beige.
    Bookmark   Thanked by maggie17joplin    July 18, 2014 at 10:51AM
cctuttle
like the idea of pendant lights. Desks are not as important to kitchens as they used to be with computers. If you agree consider removing the desk and extending the shelving down to the floor around the window. Paint the back of the shelving with gray or a color from your décor. Filled with books and a few beautiful things this will reduce the amount of cabinetry. That corner would be a great place for reading with a comfy chair In the corner. Like iconic deco's pic with white on white décor... what is your climate?
    Bookmark   Thanked by maggie17joplin    July 18, 2014 at 11:01AM
maggie17joplin
The climate is pretty hot - its Houston. I love the idea of the pendant lights. Thank you so much for your feedback!
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:56AM
Megan Watmore
Would definitely change the floor or add an area rug. The tile in the living space looks to kitchen like.
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 9:45AM
cctuttle
Tile is nice for hot climate. Agree with area rug
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 3:25PM