What to do with this living and dining open concept? Keep in mind it's

kwall19July 18, 2014
Limited budget!
collettec
The first thing I would do is paint. I would paint the walls and ceiling a beige color that matched the stone in the fireplace and in a satin paint finish. I would paint the trim, including the doors a solid white, also in a satin finish. I would look for rugs perhaps in a natural fiber for under the couch and dining set. In terms of the budget, ere you thinking of changing the furniture or adding to it?
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 6:22PM
Brandi Nash Hicks
You need light bad ,also I would paint everything in that area the lightest cream you can find to lighten it up ,and yes white trim,the room is just so dark try adding some floor lamps even.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 8:18PM
studio10001
I admire your desire for colour here, and will encourage you to freshen the walls with a single paint choice. Bright shades seem a fine choice to me against stark tile and ceiling, and I like the coloured trim, too - I think the ceiling trim is oversized though, and would either paint it out - in the dining room, at least, where windows are not an issue -or remove it,if it's possible to match the window trim.. Likewise, a single colour on the door will keep it from being the focal point of the room. Paint out the vertical trim dividing the living and dining area,too.
At that point, you will have a more cohesive envelope. A sisal/ jute rug can define your seating area better ( check Wayfair or Overstock), and if budget allows, curtain panels will warm up the room - if you are handy, these can be done cheaply from dropcloth, or end of season sheets, with yardage left for sofa cushions. Pull the table away from the wall, face your fireplace chairs toward the warmth,lower your art work,and Bob's your uncle.
On a side note, your side tables appear to be in a 'time out" - what did they do wrong?
    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 8:57PM
kwall19
Hi, thanks for the advice.

I am thinking of the changing the furniture had a black sectional in mind. @collettec
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 1:01PM
kwall19
@studio10001
Thanks. I was cleaning so I just shifted them out of the area. Lol. As you can see I have a Yorkie she is not fully potty trained and is a drama queen sometimes. Is there a rug type that is good for pets because I know she won't stay off the rugs.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 1:05PM
ptreckel
If you feel that the area needs to be lightened up, I would strongly recommend against a black sectional. It appears that the wooden chairs---at the table and the Windsors near the fireplace---are black. A black sectional would darken the room. I suggest a sectional or couch in a light, linen tone to bring brightness to the space. Adding a large colorful, patterned area rug would bring color onto the floor. It also won't show doggie stains. A natural fiber rug and a puppy that has "potty" issues? Not a good idea! Choose colors from the rug for throw pillows, accent chairs, etc. But would go light on the walls AND on the sectional to bring some life into the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 1:34PM
collettec
Agree with pterckel about not going with a dark sectional. I would consider nothing darker than medium tone in a neutral - either a light to mid range gray, taupe or beige. With your Yorkie, I would go with an indoor outdoor rug. The rug would be a good place to add color and pattern as would art on the walls and pillows for the sectional. Other pieces to consider would be a sideboard or console table for the dining room and a larger coffee table. It appears there isn't much lighting in the room. I would think of floor lamps to either side of the sectional and lamps near the dining room, perhaps if you get a sideboard or console table for that area, two lamps on that for more lighting.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 1:45PM
studio10001
Yes, kwall19 - (woven) polypropylene, or a floorcloth ( artists available via Etsy).
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 5:05PM
ptreckel
Many online catalog companies---- Ballard Design and Grandinroad---are having end of season sales on outdoor area rugs. They have them in wonderful, colorful patterns that would look lovely in this room.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 8:00AM
Replace Blue Paint in Open Concept Dining Area
I am moving into my new condo in a few weeks and need...
mary_007
Window treatment help for open concept living/dining
Hello, We have 4 adjacent sliding door wall windows...
bodesgirl
Need help coordinating area rugs for my open concept living / dining room.
I have a large, open concept living / dining room,...
agonski
How to decide colorsin Living and Dining as per open concept flow
Hi All, we have an open concept to furnish with dining...
Annie Manuja
Open concept living room/dining room layout
This is what I have planned for the living area/dining...
Jlodyer
Chandelier recommendation for traditional dining room.
I would like to update my dining room. Table, chairs,...
aboxofcrayons
want to build a cottage on fathers farm
I want to build a small cottage on my aging fathers...
koprandy
Solution for a kitchen pantry
We are remodeling a 1962 ranch with quite a large kitchen...
Jennifer Jackson
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Framed or frameless shower?
Hello everyone! My husband and I are building a house...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg