Counter top colour?

Olivia SmedleyJuly 19, 2014
We are building a new house. Layout is open plan, we have a selected a gorgeous grey colour cement look tile 80x80 for the open plan living areas and kitchen (photo attached). My plan is to have white or off white kitchen cabinets. Should we go for grey countertops or stick to white shades? Will prob go quartz ceaserstone. Any recommendations?
gracela
I would use a medium to dark gray quartz or a granite with gray shades.
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:18AM
Olivia Smedley
Thank you For your advice Gracela. I was scared it might be too much grey, but my husband agrees with you. Appreciate your reply.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:25AM
Tuscany Builders
Dark floors and white cabinets look wonderful, you just need to decide if you want another layer of dark material on your countertops or keep everything from the floor up white. All white is a very cool, crisp look. Try to think about your sink color and other finishes like lighting fixtures and paint. That should help you decide whether or not to go with an all white space or one with some contrast. When our clients are faced with this decision, they usually lean toward contrast. Hope that helps!
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:27AM
Olivia Smedley
Thank for the reply Tuscany Builders. Our prep sink in the island is stainless steel, as is most of my appliances. The walls will probably be a light shade of grey. Most kitchen companies suggest a contrast too - as do my husband and we will prob go for that. However, I do like a look with very light grey shades on the countertops ;)

Will do a few paint samples on the walls as soon as the floor tiles are done and make a call.

Much appreciated.
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:35AM
gracela
You're welcome. Congrats on your new home. Have you guys thought about contrasting the island and kitchen cabinets?
    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:54AM
Olivia Smedley
Yes Gracela, we have discussed it and it is definitely an option as our cabinets will be hand painted. We are having a coffee cabinet custom made for my husband's coffee machine and industrial grinder - which will be raw white oiled oak as to be a focus point between the open plan kitchen and the informal tv room.

So we will decide at the end if the island will work in a contract colour - don't want it too look too busy, but have negotiated that with the kitchen company in advance. Thank you!
    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 12:14AM
Denise Marchand
White ceasarstone with flecks of dark grey. Being a cook, I find that grey has a tendency to suck the wonderful color out of food. I love slate and soapstone, but prefer it with wood tone cabinets. The floor you chose is great! It does look like cement. You can add sophistication with your choice of the backsplash. Should I be jealous of this kitchen?!!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 1:37AM
Olivia Smedley
Hi Denise, well I sure hope somebody is going to be jealous of our new kitchen - lots of stress in designing it:). I am very exciting now as we will be making the final choices next week. I will post photos of the finished result. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. :))
    Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:21PM
Olivia Smedley
By the way, the tile is a porcelain tile imported from Spain. It does look great on the floors as each tile has so much character - it looks "alive". Fingers crossed we get it right with the countertops and paint colours.
    Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:24PM
Kitchen Counter Top Colour w/ Dark lowers and white uppers.
I am building an island and refinishing my kitchen...
derekcmoore
Counter-tops
What are the counter-tops? Colour, brand. Thanks
csmazurek
Need help with kitchen counter top colour selection
Hi there, We're finally working on the kitchen and...
mactwin
Counter top colour advice
New kitchen, black base cabinets, white upper cabinets,...
ashbrachr3
Help with kitchen cabinet colour&and island to blend in open concept
Raised bungalow and I opened up 2 walls Need help with...
suemccarrol
paint slope or not in bedroom
Hello We are renovating our bedoom and hit a dilemma...
Richie Ruby
Please help me make my living room work extra for my family.
My husband, our two small children and I live in a...
azotova87
Need help cheering up a dark kitchen
I got such good ideas on my tiny bathroom, now I present...
domesticimpostor
Design Layout for Family OFFICE!
Okay designers, and non-designers who have a natural...
kciskowski
Do I need to paint this frame
I had this picture over my mantel in the bedroom &...
addisonlynch