what is the importance if having a good sunbeam through windows
matseliso_wall
Mr Julien Monsembula
Mark Bischak, Architect
I asked my neighbor's dog the question, and he said it is very important.
5 Likes   July 19, 2014 at 3:30PM
sstarr
Depends on my mood. Sometimes the cuisinart goes through the window instead of the sunbeam.
4 Likes   July 19, 2014 at 3:43PM
chookchook2
2 Likes   July 19, 2014 at 4:53PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
I'm not sure if it is a Sunbeam, it could be a Honda.
7 Likes   July 19, 2014 at 8:29PM
sstarr
LOL, Mark Bischak!!
3 Likes   July 19, 2014 at 8:33PM
Rina
Ouch! Must say I think you're all being very frivolous. I love frivol. :-)))

But Julien, sunny rooms are pretty important, in my opinion. Unless you live in a very warm place you want that sun coming in for winter -- I don't have much and I'm very annoyed with the architect of this (1960-ish) house. Winter's really cold. Even if your weather is warm all year round, the light is wonderful and you can always screen off when it gets too hot with blinds, curtains, retractible awnings and -- long-term -- growing a deciduous tree or two that will let the sun through in winter but screen it in summer.
1 Like   July 19, 2014 at 11:45PM
chookchook2
Rina can you enlarge a north facing window? I am going to put another window facing north where I don't have one yet. I have one in the lounge room and one in a bedroom, but want another. It's not a big deal, but you need to put in a lintel.
0 Likes   July 20, 2014 at 12:51AM
Rina
Julien -- by way of explanation, both Chook and I live in the southern hemisphere. Chook, in theory it's a north-facing house, but the eaves are unnecessarily deep and the windows aren't, particularly. The living room french windows face out on to a covered porch, wall and trees. Also, that forms the short, eastern leg of the L-shape, so with that to block the rising sun, as well as the neighbour's trees, it takes a while to reach the bedroom windows. and as all each of those rooms shares with the rest of the house is a standard door, not much of the light or warmth filters through to the rest of the house. The east-facing windows in the living room and dining room (read office) get about 40 minutes of tree-filtered sun in the early morning.

Rough plan as an example of how to get it wrong -- including the fact that no windows face the front directly, which has a rather nice golf course view. It also faces west, of course, and I think whoever built this house was determined that it shouldn't get too hot. Didn't think of winter at all.
1 Like   July 20, 2014 at 3:20AM
midmodfan
'Natural light is a beacon for the human spirit', wrote The Telegraph. I think that pretty much sums it up.
3 Likes   July 20, 2014 at 3:37AM
karemore55
It lets you know when it's time to clean the windows.
2 Likes   July 20, 2014 at 1:07PM
Guest room not very guest friendly. Please help!
Smallish guest room is 12'6" x 11'3", but has high...
"De-Grandma"-ing kitchen with oak cabinets
Am stuck with the cabinets for awhile. Will be adding...
small bathroom: 1/2 or full ?
I have a small bathroom to remodel. It is the downstairs...
New apartment: what to do, what to do!
I have a new apartment and love all my furniture. What...
Exterior colour
We are wanting to paint our house a more modern. All...