Does this work?
inna1975July 20, 2014
I had this space empty for 5 years now.Collected all the pieces left from our old house and came up with this.
soberg
It's up to you to say if you find it attractive and/or useful. It has seating for only one, so it may be primarily used for reading, in which case you need enough light to read by.

Some people may find the low ceiling and darkness of the corner oppressive, especially during the day.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 2:01AM
inna1975
To be honest this area is the part of the foyer and I filled it just for the sake of it.It serves no purpose as my husband refuses to build a dry wall to close the space and gain extra storage.We used to pile it with God knows what.Probably I have to perephrase:" Is it OK to look at?":)
1 Like    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 3:34AM
hayleydaniels
Calling it your waiting room, and then it's just fine. In fact, it's one of the nicest waiting rooms I've seen. :-)
    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 4:00AM
I love the idea of using space, but I find the armchair under the stairwell a little too 'heavy'. I have been trying to figure out placement that pulls the armchair out (to almost where the dresser and mirror is).

Did you try putting the mirror and demilune on the wall where the round table and candle are (but closer to the right - it would reflect light into a dark area) and then move the armchair to where the demi lune currently is? If you did this, I think I would still try keeping the rug at an angle as it does a great job of defining the zone area...
    Bookmark   Thanked by inna1975    July 20, 2014 at 4:16AM
inna1975
Waiting room it is then;)!@hayleydaniels.Thank you so much!
    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 4:17AM
Amanda Metzelder
This arrangement does nothing for the grand foyer you have. Simplicity would be better than junking up an area and making it confusing rather than aesthetically pleasing to the eye. A 36 inch round table with flowers or books stacked in the middle of the floor. No rug because you are not defining a space. It is merely a walk through area. Nobody spends time in their foyer if they are lucky to have a beautiful rest of the house that I am guessing you own. Move people through do not confuse them. Oh and a mirror maybe on the left wall but I can not tell since I am not seeing the whole foyer.
7 Likes    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 4:35AM
carolins
I'd just put a pedestal table (good size, not too small) with an attractive arrangement on top in that area and a fab mirror on the left wall. Not every inch of floor/wall space has to be filled ;-)
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 4:39AM
carolins
Crossed posts with Amanda :-)
    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 4:41AM
carolins
Or make it simpler, like this. Pull the chair forward and light up the space behind it. So it's not such a dark corner and the chair actually invites you to have a seat...

5 Likes    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 4:46AM
carolins
Okay, I was browsing through photos to get/give inspiration, and came across this one. How welcoming is that? Point a canon towards your guests :-)

2 Likes    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 4:49AM
Thos. Baker
It's the perfect place for a baby grand piano or a magnificent statue. And at the holidays -- a sensational Christmas tree or decorative scene.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
1 Like    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 5:22AM
sarainitaly
Less is more. It looks kind of dark and sad, instead of grand. It should be grand. And a christmas tree would be fabulous in the season. I would try the pedestal table and vase, or at least a much simpler version like that white couch above. Right now I am getting a harry potter vibe. :0S sorry.
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 5:30AM
sweetkeight
I agree that a table would work well in this space. - instead of the present collection of items. Possibly you can select a unique antique or something from a local artisan. sculpture, iron, stone or wood would all look especially nice :)
    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 5:45AM
bonbon663
It looks too dark to me. I agree with other posters, it's not very inviting, and I can't imagine sitting there. I think the idea of a simple pedestal table, and a cool "something" on the table would give more impact.
    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 5:51AM
housegal200
Pedstal table in same wood as the banister. If you have a window or glass in your front door across from that space, then place a long oval or rectangular mirror on the back wall along with an interesting floor lamp to lighten the space. Otherwise get a long mirror to hang vertically where you current mirror is. Keep the space simple with just two or three elegant pieces.
    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 6:00AM
wisneb
Table and vase only. The setup w/furniture seems a little odd, like you have someone "living" there at night or something. imho
4 Likes    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 8:17AM
sallygirly
Move the chair out to the left, looks like you will hit your head. It is cute to look at like you have arranged it, but it seems too tight under the stairs. If you want storage space under there, find a decorative chest or trunk for stashing stuff.
    Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 8:31AM
how does it work? Is the lid a screw on or? does it stay attached wh
how does it work? Is the lid a screw on or? does...
rachiet
gypsum work for kitchen. Does it work?
Kitchen ceiling decoration with Gypsum Tiles. Does...
Northbengal Interior Decoration
Pass through fireplace
I'm considering converting my existing wood burning...
deejayheck
What do you think about Sheet Vinyl?
Here at Allan Rug we carry many types of flooring and...
Allan Rug Company
Would like your opinions on this wainscot
We are doing major renovations, have removed a wall...
staceyw126
Kitchen Appliance Help
I am replacing my cooktop (changing to gas), oven and...
psjr94
how to benefit from the concrete column in a guest room ?
well , i am student at the faculty of fine arts ( interior...
ahmedelshiekh