Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_kent9587

Do we have to add tile behind stove?

Lisa Kent
9 years ago
Hi,
We are finishing up an addition which includes a new kitchen. It is an L shaped counter, with deep 10" trimless windows. The cabinets will be Douglas Fir. The counter will be white caesarstone. We had planned to tile under upper cabinets to the counter and all the way to the ceiling above the range with white tile. However, the light switches on one of the walls (not in photo) was misplaced and is half way under and half way beyond the counter and cabinets. So if there was tile it would not line up right. Now I am thinking about doing a 4" backsplash in matching white caesarstone all the way around and no tile. I'm worried that the area above the range will get filthy though without tile...

I want a clean modern look.

Any ideas?

Comments (62)

• lagwagonshow
    9 years ago
    Move the switch. Tile behind the stove, because that's what you want.
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Another option is to use a stainless steel backsplash that attaches to the stove (i.e. isn't built in) or covers the whole wall behind the stove. I think they look great.

While I agree that the 4" backsplash isn't particularly in style at the moment, I still see lots of them in photos of beautiful Houzz kitchens. Sometimes it is the right design choice, though I hate the idea of your being forced into it by an electrical mistake.
    Massachusetts Farm House · More Info

Modern Kitchens · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2011-aia-austin-tour-farm-house-farmhouse-kitchen-austin-phvw-vp~5173904
  • intown123
    9 years ago
    I believe the problem with the outlet is that it extends beyond the counter where tile/ backsplash was not intended to be (it would have stopped at the end of the counter). Is that right? (I agree no 4 inch counter backsplash).
  • Ingrif
    9 years ago
    I recently bought a new stove and found the tile on the backsplash wasn't installed all the way down to the counter so now there's a gap between the new stove and the tile. Now it looks terrible and we have no more tile left. Where does one find the stainless steel backsplash attached to the stove.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    I understand your issue. At this point it may not be possible to move the switch for various reasons - location of studs in the wall, no extra wire in the wall in order to move the box, etc. The location of studs in the wall may have dictated the location of the box and switch to begin with. I would come up with a tile design that has one or two rows of tile and then some type of pencil liner or decorative piece. I would leave it low like that on the affected wall so it should be below the switch. On the wall with the range, I would do the same design but then I would tile above the pencil (or accent) with the same tile up as high as you want.
  • lagwagonshow
    9 years ago
    I'm gonna have to disagree with Deborah. It is always possible to move the electrical, the only question is where to move it to. While the kitchen is torn apart, before tile goes up - now is the time to move it, whatever it takes.

For a project of this scale, you do not need compromise because of electrical.
  • User
    9 years ago
    It's only money. Move the switch.
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    @ingy7: A number of companies that make ranges offer the SS backsplash as an accessory (Wolf, Thermidor). Broan also makes a couple of different styles of them that attach to the wall. Here's an example of one below that is an accessory built for the range:

Kitchen · More Info
  • Lisa Kent
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is a close up of the electrical box. It is only off by an inch or so... but it's still off.
  • Beth Bevington
    9 years ago
    Notice the outlet. Bought silver. Installed 4 years ago.
    Easy installation, and could be removed in no time.
  • Lisa Kent
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is another photo of the electrical box (it's the one on the far left). The side panel on the bottom cabinet has not been added yet, so there is a scrap pure of wood screwed thee for now just so we could see how far the counter extends.
  • intown123
    9 years ago
    You could consider tiling to the doorway and down to the floor. This is a traditional example but with a modern tile I think you could keep your clean look you want.
    http://houzz.com/photos/131712
  • PRO
    Pat Gericke & Associates, LLC
    9 years ago
    Looking at the photo now, it appears that the box can be shifted ever so slightly and once the tile is up and the coverplate matches the tile, this would not be noticable - they can patch the sheetrock on the end to repair the excess. A good electrician can do this.
  • Lisa Kent
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The box is hard against the stud so I'm not sure it can be moved without jumping over a bay.

The tile could extend over to the door, but I think that may look worse than if the electrical box bumped out a little from tile.
  • Lisa Kent
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @wild infusion do you know what the cost per sq ft is of the glass splashback? Also do they have to use anything on the edges like Schluter when using tile?
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    Lisa, you need to have a talk with your electrical contractor and/or GC to explain how this is affecting other installations. Where is your main breaker box in relation to the mis-placed box? It's hard to tell from the photos (and I'm no electrician), but that doesn't look like a simple outlet box. It may be the collection point for wiring from several outlets, with cabling leading from there to the main breaker box. If so, it may still be movable but more complicated to move, and they may balk at it. I had similar issues with my remodel and had to compromise because I couldn't afford the rework. Yours is a new installation, so you should be in a better position to reach an acceptable solution.
  • User
    9 years ago
    It's not a problem to remove the box, install 1x or 2x shim against the stud, and move the box over. Really. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Doing a $120 a square glass sheet backsplash isn't the answer when you really want tile. And can have tile with no issues.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    I meant to add that a different type of backsplash or a 4" one isn't going to solve the problem. Unless you move the boxes, the outlet covers won't line up vertically.
  • Gina P
    9 years ago
    By looking at the photo it appears that maybe the box does not have to be as large as it is. I could be wrong but it looks like all the wiring is on one side maybe all the switches are not hooked up yet not sure but I would definitely look into it. If it can’t be moved or shortened then the idea on running the tile to the end of the wall and to the floor would solve you problem and look fine. Don’t stress
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/451512 Hope this works. I am trying to post Houzz photo of what I was trying to describe. Not sure exactly how to do it on a tablet.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    scarpullagirl is impersonating an officer! Doesn't look "cheap" unless you own a tile shop : )

I agree that a backsplash can add to the look of some kitchens but there are also kitchens that aren't designed for a backsplash without creating other problems. Where do you stop a backsplash if the counter and cabinets end but the wall goes on or rounds a corner? Similar to what Lisa has pictured on the electrical box wall.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You generally end the tile either at the upper cabinet outside edge or if you are turning a corner complete it to the corner. I always recommend a schulter at these ends for a more finished look, especially if you are using thin linear glass tiles.
  • GizV
    9 years ago
    My two cents. I didn't like the look of a trim all around my original kitchen (referring to the 4" backsplash). I'm attaching a picture.

I also agree you need something behind the stove like the examples from feeny.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Schluters come in all colors and I've used them where I can match, I do not use them on horizontals, only at the vertical edges and I use the smallest thickness. I can't tell by your pic GizV what size or color, but it is very noticable in this pic.
  • GizV
    9 years ago
    It looks like your dilemma space is next to the patio door. I have something similar. I decided to take tile to the door molding. If you did that with white tile it will make the electrical box less noticeable, maybe.
  • ptreckel
    9 years ago
    I agree that you must talk with your electrician about this. I had a similar problem. The electrician installed the outlets in my backsplash at different heights than my wall switches. The lines were totally off and it was a nightmare for tiling! Nothing lined up. I just called the electrician to return and "fix it!" He wasn't happy, but it was my money. And I was assertive. Trust me, he changed it. If this bothers you, it should be resolved. And it can be resolved. If not, it will ALWAYS bother you! Trust me....I have experience with that, too!
  • Wild Infusion
    9 years ago
    Like I was saying I would get stainless or coloured power points. These you will have to pay for but they are minimal as in about $15 each then you will not see them half as much.
  • backsplashideas
    9 years ago
    A glass tile would look very modern with your kitchen. There are several types of glass Aspect that you kind find matching outlet covers with.
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Move the box. Should take no time. My electrician put some boxes in odd places when I wasn't being vigilant. I moved them all. Maybe he'll ask the homeowner next time. Or tile all the way to the corner and down the wall, as another poster suggested.
  • Kivi
    9 years ago
    Lisa, you said the box is hard against a stud. Is the stud on the left side or the right side of the switches? If it is on the right and you cannot move it, one alternative may be that since it looks like there are a number of switches you could combine 2 switches into one bay by using half switches. have the electrician put in a 1 bay smaller box and that looks like it might be enough to accomplish what you want.
    example of half switches
    http://www.legrand.ca/adorne/select/switches/aspd1531w8.aspx#.U86Kosb7-mQ
  • lindastein
    9 years ago
    I'd love to see pics of the douglas fir cabinets when done!
  • PRO
    HomeTech Renovations, Inc.
    9 years ago
    not sure if this was mentioned already as there were a lot of previous comments.... one thing we have noticed is many customers are skipping the 4" counter backsplash, and doing a full backsplash that terminates from the countertop to the cabinetry. Having a backsplash along the wall helps keep things clean, and will add value to your home.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Tile? How about a cool, fresh and modern color? Citron.
  • glschisler
    9 years ago
    I agree with Leelee. But otherwise do a stainless if you really cannot move the switch.
  • Leigh Durand
    9 years ago
    i put white quartz behind my stove. It has stained and cracked in less than 3 months. Don't.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    @Leigh: thanks for posting about the quartz cracking behind your stove. That's not what I expected at all, sorry it happened to your kitchen. What do you plan to do as an alternative?
  • Ruth Felice
    9 years ago
    granite or stone slab with just a touch of color may give you the color you want in the kitchen and its easy to clean
  • Leigh Durand
    9 years ago
    I am going to install a sheet of stainless. It is a more industrial look than I wanted. 8( Win some, lose some.
  • kailuaaloha
    9 years ago
    You will be sorry if you don't....a 4 inch backsplash is dated for one, but also not functional....the word "splash" is the clue..lol!!!
  • PRO
    Fyffe Landscape Architecture
    9 years ago
    We did a vinyl wall paper... it looks alike a grass cloth so cool and it wipes clean..
    we did the stainless behind the stove.
  • billiken
    9 years ago
    I have tiled dozens of back splashes and in many cases I had to move or modify outlets and switches. Move the box. In my kitchen I placed all the switches and outlets under the cabinets to the back splash would remain simple and clean.
  • Patrica Montazeri
    9 years ago
    Stainless steel..
  • bratcat
    9 years ago
    Don’t settle! Have the switch moved, cutting into drywall and patching before tile, texture or paint is not a big deal. I’ll say it again, don’t settle, have it done the way it was planned and the way you want it done.
  • Susan
    9 years ago
    I love the look and practicality of a backsplash. We just have the 4" tile, that I would love to replace. I say go for it, since you are getting a new kitchen.
  • cjens11
    9 years ago
    Definitely tile...and with something that cleans easily, unless you don't do a lot of cooking.
  • PRO
    revolver architecture
    9 years ago
    like that..
  • PRO
    Noble Renovation
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Lisa, I am glad to hear you are moving the box, that's the right call. It may not be easy to move as some have pointed out but in my judgement an experience electrician in remodels can move it without much difficulty. If for some reason you run into to trouble moving the box , most likely the electrician can install a smaller gang box and use half switches (one on top of the other , they switch sideways) to make up for the lost switch space in the current larger box, A little trade off in look. But the issue isn't a big deal at all . The switch will get moved over, you will get your tile and all will be good. Thanks for sharing...Steve
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Be sure to let your counter fabricator know that you only want the counter and not a 4" backsplash out of counter material. Then add your tile or what ever type of BS you want going from cabinets down to counter.
  • PRO
    Robin Amorello, CKD CAPS - Atmoscaper Design
    9 years ago
    My advise is to move the switches and go with your original plan. It's an easy fix/patch and someone's mistake to fix. You shouldn't have to compromise your plan over a switch!! Go with your vision.