Want to raise height of walls and raise the roof on a fifties contemp.
karen1963
I am purchasing a midcentury low contemporary house which I would like taller walls and higher pitched roofs. How do I go about making this happen?
Patricia Colwell
Lots and lots of money. Why did you buy a MCM house if that was not what you wanted, I love them and I own one and would not trade it for the world.
July 20, 2014 at 7:26AM   
karen1963
It's on an excellent lot in the area I already live but has more space than I currently have. I like the house very much and have lived in MCM houses before. I currently live in a very modern house with tall ceilings and flat room. Hard to switch to low ceilings.
July 20, 2014 at 8:11AM   
karen1963
Meant to say Flat roof.
July 20, 2014 at 8:12AM   
Patricia Colwell
Okay , but the money part still stands, this is always an expensive undertaking. I had high ceilings in our last house but the rooms were smaller than in this one so I guess I don't miss the high ceilings so much.
July 20, 2014 at 8:33AM   
karen1963
At the beginning I stated I am purchasing the MCM house. Have not finished negotiating. I decided to consult about the higher walls and roof. I think you are right about the money part and the undertaking. You make more sense and I would probably spend the same money as the purchase price in the end. You win. Deal off!
July 20, 2014 at 8:45AM   
GN Builders L.L.C
I am in the process doing that right now. We doing a 2 story addition in the back and we just removed the roof so we could build up the plates to make ceilings higher and now the new roof is being built. Here is a picture, you can see the build up on the left on the side of the house. I will be on the job tomorrow I can take a better picture from inside but maybe you can see it on this one.

Get your local Architect to design all the details.

Good luck
July 20, 2014 at 8:57AM   
sstarr
glad the deal is off!
July 20, 2014 at 9:03AM   
Which do you like better for a home office?
I am in the process of designing my home office. I...
What kind of paint to put on the window sill?
In our current home, our deep window sills/boxes are...
How to lighten up this kitchen?
We are looking to lighten up this kitchen by painting...
Help to decide an open concept connecting kitchen and living room
I am renovating and need to begin with a design to...
What color white with espresso
Love the mix of white and espresso cabinet look. Just...