Help! Again...
plsellers123
I have this 39" for framed glass piece that prior to being framed hung, centered on the end of my open porch. During a storm it was blown off and broken/ cracked. I managed to put it in this frame but I feel a brisk wind would blow out the middle. I am open to hanging inside a window but I have window panes which I am not sure would do it justice. I do have a sliding glass door that measures 31" per side. I am considering hanging on the closed side which it will extend over just a bit. This door is rarely used as a walk through more for light and circulation.
Open to suggestions?
Linda Zaff Architecture, P.C.
Hi! Would you answer a couple of questions to help me understand what this is? Is this piece something new or is it antique leaded glass? Was it created as an art piece or did it originally hang in an historic window?

Just as you had it hanging on the end of your porch, pieces like these are often hung in interior spaces from the ceiling or from ceiling beams. If the glass is cracked, you may want to look for a glass specialist who can repair it. If your house is the same one you showed in two previous posts, I don't think that using this as a window or in a sliding glass door would complement the exterior look of the house. When you say "hanging inside a window", do you mean actually using this piece as the window glazing or do you mean hanging it on the interior side of a window as a piece of decor?

Here are a few examples found on Houzz of ways in which one can incorporate art glass in interior spaces.
Classicism With a Twist
Bloomfield Township
Custom Mountain Craftsman
July 22, 2014 at 8:14AM   
plsellers123
I was thinking more of a decor item not actually installed as a window. This was a garage sale item so my thought is that it was never installed in anything. Nope not the house posted earlier. I just did that for a friend. Thanks for your help!
July 23, 2014 at 5:50PM     
rocketjcat
I create stained glass windows. When you say a wind might blow out the middle, are you saying the whole thing might fall out of the frame you put it in? Or that the center of the glass piece itself is so damaged/cracked that the glass itself might fall out its leading? What was the the piece framed in before you added this picture frame type pieces? Can you post a close up of the damage?
July 23, 2014 at 6:04PM   
ptmatthews
I think hanging it inside a window, even if the window was divided, would be fine. I think hanging it on the fixed door panel sounds a little odd, but only you can decide if its OK. If it looks good to you, then its OK! And remember, nothing in your house has to be forever. Try it for a few months. You can always change it later if it doesn't grow on you.
July 23, 2014 at 6:06PM   
rocketjcat
To respond to your aesthetic question about placing it in front of a divided window, I think it would be fine. I am concerned however about "hanging" it anywhere not understanding the damage and the potential for crashing down or falling apart. 9 square feet of stained glass is heavy, fragile, and large enough that it should have had some rebar type reinforcement initially, which it doesn't appear to have. I wouldn't hang it anywhere just yet without knowing more, but you probably could lean it. More/closer pix?
July 24, 2014 at 6:23AM   
Desperately needs help..reposting again because none helped me
Needs full decor for the living room painted recently.......
Help finding this artwork again....
Hello, I saved this picture to my computer, but forgot...
Shower help again
Personal preference not withstanding, Is there a reason...
Help with bedroom again
Where is the bed spread from? found the duvet fabric!!!...
what to fill or put in my wood planters on interior stairway ?
i have an L shaped stairway. there is a half wall going...
HELP WITH PENDANT LIGHTING PLEASE
Hello - Our kitchen is almost done. A few more wall...
Cordless table lamp
Can anyone recommend a quality manufacturer for cordless...
Bonus Room With 1/2 Bath
We have a small to medium sized bonus room above our...