Velux Sun Tunnel Skylight
sandee14
April 4, 2012 in Photo Questions
I am looking for a way to get more natural light in my house. I love to have the sun shine in my house, but my house is not angled correctly to maximize the sunlight. Would the Velux Sun Tunnel Skylight help with this problem? Also, where would I look to find these and have them installed? Thanks for your help.
tambo100
A tubular daylighting device is a perfect way to bring natural daylight into your home without the high cost, mess, or hassle of a traditional skylight. I recommend the Solatube Daylighting System - my wife and I have 4 of Solatube's daylighting systems, 2 of them for almost 9 years now. There is a HUGE difference between a Solatube Daylighting System (who invented the tubular skylight) and Velux's Sun Tunnel, which is a traditional skylight company. The two major variables when choosing a daylighting system are 1) the amount of light that the system collects and 2) the quality of light that is directed into your home / business. Only Solatube offers a ‘Highest Performance Guarantee’ and here is why.

A Solatube Daylighting System has patented prism technology in the dome that gives it twice as much Effective Daylight Capture Surface than a Sun Tunnel. This technology is called Raybender 3000. Solatube Daylighting Systems also incorporate the patented Light Tracker, which redirects ambient and direct light into the system. This is extremely beneficial during cloudy and winter days. Sun Tunnels do not have this technology. Only the Solatube Daylighting System brightens your spaces without allowing heat or harmful ultraviolet rays in.

Solatube Daylighting Systems use a heavy gauge, seamless, all-metal flashing to attach the system to the roof, which allows it to be installed on metal roofs, as well on standard roof surfaces. The most dramatic difference is in the reflective tube material. Solatube lines its daylighting systems with a proprietary surface called Spectralight Infinity. This is recognized as the most reflective material on earth. Sun Tunnels use a considerably less reflective material that actually alters the color of the light as it comes into your home. Because of the amount of light entering the tube and its reflectivity, Solatube Daylighting Systems can be run 20 to 30 feet with minimal light loss. Sun Tunnels cannot claim this.

As mentioned previously, running Solatube Daylighting Systems through upper floors is not commonplace, but Solatube’s ability to transfer light these distances, is why Solatube systems are able to bring light to lower floors. Next, Solatube offers an assortment of decorative ceiling fixtures that allow you to personalize your daylighting experience with something that not only has exceptional performance but that also complements your home’s décor. No other daylighting system lets you do this. If you have a Premier Solatube Dealer in your area, you also get a few more perks. Premier Dealers are bold enough to light their entire showrooms with nothing but pure, natural light from Solatube Daylighting Systems during business hours. You do not have to believe a thing printed here, just visit www.Solatube.com to find a Premier Dealer. Only Solatube Premier Dealers offer Certified Installation from technicians who must meet stringent requirements from Solatube International.

Good luck with your decision. I am sure you will be absolutely thrilled with the amazing, crystal clear natural daylight that only the Solatube Daylighting System can provide.
0 Likes   April 4, 2012 at 7:19AM
sandee14
Thanks for your response. I live in a small town in Pennsylvania, not sure if I can locate a dealer, but I will start looking. Do you know how these compare in price to the Velux? I have a modular home, and I am hoping they can be installed in my roof. I really want to see the sun shining in my house-hoping these will do that.
0 Likes   April 5, 2012 at 1:50AM
beth2002
Here is the Solatube dealer for all of Pennsylvania:
Solar Reflections, Inc.
41 Creek Road
*Call for showroom appointment*
Chalfont, PA 18914
Phone: (215) 997-5901
1 Like   April 5, 2012 at 4:57PM
tambo100
Sandee14 -

I know prices in my area differ from other areas of the country; however, in my experience, Solatube Daylighting Systems are comparable to Velux. Remember that Solatube is the premier daylighting system on the market, so I did not have a problem with paying a little more for such a vastly superior product. Especially since this was going to be a permanent addition to my house and something that we were going to live with every day. It is true that you get what you pay for. I have been at a home improvement show where a Solatube dealer and Velux dealer had booths. After listening to the Velux rep's comments and seeing their display and then doing the same with the Solatube rep, there was NO WAY I was going to spend money on the Velux unit.

I have read that Solatube's systems can be installed in a space as little as 6" (i.e., a vaulted ceiling). Lastly, I did not mention this before, but I installed my first 2 Solatube Daylighting Systems myself, and I have yet to have any problems. That was over 9 years ago! I attached a photo of my first 2 Solatube Daylighting Systems. They brighten my home office and work area in my garage. You will also notice one of Solatube's Solar Star solar powered attic fans, which has kept my garage about 20-25 degrees cooler than with just the static ventilation of the ridge vent.

I hope this helps a bit.
0 Likes   April 6, 2012 at 6:27AM
sandee14
Thanks so much for information. Would you recommend these over a traditional skylight? The sun is never directly over my house and I really love to have a lot of sunlight in my house.
0 Likes   April 6, 2012 at 6:55AM
tambo100
Traditional skylights do let in natural daylight; however, the amount of light depends on a number of variables (which way the skylight faces, trees or other shadow-creating elements, how long the skylight 'shaft' is, pitch of your roof, etc.). These skylights let in heat / cold, as well as UV rays, which cause many owners to install shading of some kind - this defeats the whole purpose of paying the big bucks to cut into your rafters to have the skylights installed in the first place. Then there is the inevitable leakage, drywall cracking and repair, discoloring of the window glass, etc. I get all the clean, clear natural daylight I have ever desired with my Solatube Daylighting Systems, even on cloudy, rainy, snowy days. All of this without the negative elements of a traditional skylight. So, I guess the quick answer to your question is 'yes', I whole-heartedly recommend Solatube Daylighting Systems over traditional skylights.
0 Likes   April 9, 2012 at 6:50AM
sandee14
Thanks for your reply. I did look at the Solartube lighting a few days ago and I have a contractor (roofing) coming to give me an estimate today to install one. Hope the installation is not more than the light.
0 Likes   April 9, 2012 at 7:15AM
tambo100
Labor is always a good chunk of change, pretty much no matter what the product is. There is just so much that goes into supporting employees. Please be sure your contractor knows what he / she is doing and gives you a good workmanship warranty. I did install mine just with the instructions, but then again, if I had messed it up, I could only blame myself. I expect people that I pay money to for a job to be reliable and responsible. I know the local Solatube Premier Dealer here gives a 5-year workmanship guarantee, which is awesome considering most contractors and roofers give only about a 6 month to 1 year workmanship warranty.

I am interested to see how things work out. Good luck.
0 Likes   April 10, 2012 at 1:51PM
sandee14
The contractor was supposed to come yesterday. He never showed up or called. I am hoping he calls tonight. I get so upset when this happens. There is not a Solatube dealer close to where I live.
0 Likes   April 10, 2012 at 2:14PM
Design Freedom, inc.
a good contractor will not treat a potential client that way. look for someone else. preferably, have 3 different contractors come out and give you written estimates.
0 Likes   April 10, 2012 at 8:44PM
sandee14
Thanks. Hopefully, I can find three roofing contractors in the area.
0 Likes   April 11, 2012 at 1:35AM
Design Freedom, inc.
call the building department or a local architect for names. they know who works in your area. they also know how good the work is, too.
0 Likes   April 11, 2012 at 7:24AM
tambo100
Agreed. Even if the 'no show' contractor does eventually show up, you would be setting yourself up for heartache if you hired them. Best to steer clear of someone who demonstrates incompetence from the get-go.
1 Like   April 11, 2012 at 2:23PM
apennameandthata
tambo 100 sounds like he knows a lot. But he also seems to be printing an ad. I would not write off the other method. I would ask someone who knows who you can be sure does not have a financial stake in the Salatube system.
1 Like   September 22, 2012 at 8:05AM
apennameandthata
Actually, I recon tambo is a dill AND gets $. He says...

"Solatube lines its daylighting systems with a proprietary surface called Spectralight Infinity. This is recognized as the most reflective material on earth."

That's right: if you install a solatube, you get a material that is more reflective than the mirror on the Hubble telescope. Unless the Hubble telescope also is lucky enough to have the mirror coated in the wonderful patented Spectralight Infinity.

To infinity and beyond.
0 Likes   September 22, 2012 at 8:08AM
tambo100
Apennameandthata - I agree that my post sounded like a commercial, but it contains facts and is based on personal experience. I have 4 Solatube systems in my home - 2 of those for 10 years now. If you dispute what I have said, simply visit your local Solatube dealer to see how they perform for yourself. Sandee buying Solatube will put no money in my pocket; however, from my own experience, I know they are the best out there and that she would be thrilled. I also have seen the Velux in person. Have you seen both products in person and side-by-side?

What do u mean by 'I recon tambo is a dill and gets $'?
0 Likes   September 22, 2012 at 12:59PM
creeser
sandee14, we put a solar tube in our new home and love it. We bought it from Home Depot. Lowe's carries them as well.
0 Likes   September 30, 2012 at 2:10PM
sandee14
0 Likes   September 30, 2012 at 5:03PM
dougakers
FYI - The Hubble is in space, not on earth.
1 Like   October 9, 2012 at 11:57AM
Jeff Ogg
so tambo, how long have you been a Solatube Premier dealer?
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 10:10AM
tambo100
Jeff - going on our 2nd year. I looked at the Velux sun tunnel about 9 years ago but chose to install the Solatube in my home instead. After living with my Solatube Daylighting Systems and seeing how amazing they performed all those years, we decided to start our own business. Everything I said in previous posts is completely accurate - Solatube's unmatched performance, patented technology, spectrum neutral light, no UV or heat transfer, Energy Star rated, etc. I have seen the Velux and Solatube side by side, which is why going with Solatube was an easy decision.. Any other questions?
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 1:04PM
apennameandthata
Yeah, can you verify the thing you said about it being lined with the most reflective material on earth?
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 11:18PM
apennameandthata
Well, Tambo 100, to answer part of your question, when I said 'and gets $' I meant that you appeared to have a financial stake in Solatube. You are a Premier Dealer. That means that you were posting here with an undisclosed (but obvious) conflict of interest.
1 Like   November 23, 2012 at 11:40PM
tambo100
appennamean ~ to your first question about Spectralight Infinity: Proprietary Spectralight Infinity tubing provides up to 99.7% total reflectance and 99.7% specular reflectance. It is the most reflective material on the world market today and is used on all the Solatube Daylighting Systems.

Now, of course you can say this is all propaganda or infer it is a lie, as you already did. Like I said, I speak from over 6 years of personal experience with my own tubes before starting my own business. Believe me, don't believe me. Your choice. Do your own research on the differences between Solatube Daylighting Systems and the others.
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 5:11AM
tambo100
appennamean ~ second comment about my financial gain. If I had wanted to receive money from Sandee or anyone else on this thread, I would have actually solicited their business. My intent was to educate Sandee about the differences between the Solatube and Velux. It is a fact that the Velux tube does not perform well, especially when the roof in question is 'not angled correctly to maximize sunlight' (original question to this thread).
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 5:23AM
apennameandthata
A quick check of the internet shows that some material has a reflectance of greater than 99.9%. You might argue that 99.7 and 99.9 are same for lighting your home. You would be right, but no one held a gun to your head and made you say that your solar tubes had the world's most reflective material.

You still had an undeclared conflict of interest. If you had directly solicited business then you would have behaved more ethically because you would have automatically declared your conflict of interest. Duh.
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 5:49AM
tambo100
What is the reflectance of Velux tubing? Better yet, what is the output of the Velux unit after 4 feet?
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 6:02AM
sturg73
The Velux tubing is slightly less reflective ie tenths of a % however, the polished surface is guaranteed to not degenerate for 15 years. Solatube's tunnel material is a laminate that while slightly more reflective the day it's installed will degenerate with exposure to UV.

If you noticed 8 years ago a drastic difference in output tambo you are comparing apples and oranges Velux's flexible tube at the time to Solatube's rigid.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 4:50PM
tambo100
Sturg73 ~ Velux's reflective surface is enhanced silver with a 98% spectral reflectance for visible wavelengths. This is their rigid tubing. Velux's flex tubing has only a 84% spectral reflectance. This is a favorite of contractors since it is easier to install than rigid tubing. Too many contractors have no regard for quality and merely follow the 'get in, get out, get paid' business model. Solatube uses Spectralight Infinity which has a 99.7% spectral reflectance. Apples to apples - the 1.7% difference in rigid tubing is a lot more than the 'tenths of a %' you cited. For every bounce of the light down the tube, Velux loses 2%, while Solatube loses only 0.3%. Again, apples to apples, light output for Velux rigid tubing drops below 90% after only 5 feet. Velux rigid tubing light output drops below 90% after only 2 feet. Solatube's Spectralight Infinity ensures light output greater than 90% all the way out to almost 30 feet. See the side by side comparison image below. Both systems shown use rigid tubing.

Also, because Velux's reflective material is based on metal, it can rust. Yes, rust. See the attached photo. This is primarily on the surfaces the installers have touched. I have personally seen this on more than one occasion. The rust will inhibit light transmission.

As far as materials breaking down, that has never been an issue. My 10-yr old Solatube Daylighting Systems are as reflective as the first day I installed them. I have seen Solatube Daylighting Systems that are 20 yrs old. Absolutely no change to the light output observed.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:23AM
tambo100
Sturg73 ~ I failed to mention that Solatube's patented roof dome filters out the harmful UV rays, so the Spectralight Infinity surface will not be impacted by the UV. No UV rays means no fading of clothes (closet application), flooring, couch/sofa, or any other surface. This is just another reason so many people choose Solatube to brighten their homes.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 6:29AM
gg004
i just met with a velux installer and was so impressed. This conversation thread is giving me doubtw now....He is giving me a 20 yr warranty and mentioned that the laminate on sola tube is not as effetive as the polished aluminium on velux..any thoughts?
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 2:15PM
tambo100
gg004 ~ The 3 major things that determine performance of any tubular skylight/sun tube/tunnel are 1) getting the maximum light into the tube, 2) getting the most like from the roof dome to your ceiling, and 3) what the light looks like in your home/space to be brightened. Be sure you read all of this thread, as it contains quite a bit of technical information that corresponds directly to those 3 major areas = performance. After reading this thread, you can ask your Velux contact about each point specifically: reflectivity, quality of light output, roof dome and bringing the light in, etc. There simply is no comparison between Solatube and the other brands. I hope this helps.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 2:40PM
Midwest Skylight LLC
tambo, How much light is enough? Do you put a 1000 watt bulb in a room when maybe a 900 watt bulb would be more than sufficient? Why do you have all the optional lenses now on Solatube? Glare!!
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 7:19AM
gg004
tambo, the velux installer mentioned similar things about the velux system too - in terms of filtering out UV light, reflectivity being 98% and light not being lost as it travels down the tube due to the aluminium coating. I am not a technical person by any means, but it all sounds similar. he said he was a solatube installer before and he switched over when solatube changed something 6 or 7 years ago..i am not sure if it was a diffuser or something like that..he said he could install the solatube too if I insisted, but would give me a 30 day warranty as opposed to a 20 year warranty for a velux tube installation..
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 7:31AM
tambo100
Gg004 - all the ceiling fixtures are to give the customer more choices to personalize their daylighting system with something of higher quality than the basic acrylic diffuser, but they still offer that one, too.

As far as your bulb question, most people who install tubular skylights want as much natural daylight as possible. If you want the best, it is Solatube.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 7:02PM
tambo100
Gg007 - sunlight bounces off the insides of the tube many, many times on its way to the diffuser on the ceiling. The longer the tube run, the more bounces. At 98% reflectivity, the Velux unit loses 2% for every bounce. At 99.7% reflectivity, the Solatube material loses only 0.3% for every bounce. This is why at only 3 to 4 feet, the Velux unit drops below 90% light output. The Solatube does not drop below 90% light output until 23 feet.

It sounds very fishy that your Velux guy would give only 30 days on the Solatube, especially since the manufacture provides a 10 year warranty on materials. Doesn't that make you stop and wonder about this guy? If he really did work for Solatube at one time, there are countless reasons as to why he no longer does. Regardless of what you choose, be careful.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 7:17PM
apennameandthata
What makes me wonder is when someone says that the material of their tube is made of "enhanced silver".
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:16PM
Solarise Tube Skylights
tambo100.

1st Solatube tubing which is made by 3m not Solatube may be more reflective with "specular reflectance" but not after multiple bounces. This is proven by Alonod testing at there facilities in germany. At angles of 0 to 45 degrees they have a 78% advantage over MPF or multi polymeric film. Solatubes tubing is basically many thin plastic films glued to an aluminum sheet which is not uv protected and over time has been known to delaminate which is probably why Solatube only gives a 10 year warranty. I have never heard of a 10 year roof, have you. Alanod tubing is an enhanced silver coating applied to aluminum using pvd technology. Will never delaminate, is uv protected and has no color shift. www.Alanod.com

2nd

Solatubes dome has not been proven to give more light. They claim it has a larger surface area because of the fresnel design. Its basically a diffused dome which actually blocks light. i have done several test with my light meter during different times of day during the year and have seen as much as 15% loss of light over the clear dome. The problem is there are too many prisms. But Solatube has so much glare or hotspots they need the dome to soften the light otherwise cusotmers would complain. This technology first was invented by augustine fresnel. Then Sun Star integrated this into there dome which Solatube acquired some 20 years ago. There are better lenticular prism designs on the market today but solatube is not about to change there dome after spending millions on the design and mold. There supposed money back guarantee to consumners is laughable at best and expired dec of 2012. What consumer is going to spend thousands of dollars to do testing to get there money back. Atleast Solarspot stopped this nonsense when they sued Solatube and won. Solarspot is a french tubular daylighting company.

3rd

Flashings...Solatube is by far the most deceptive when it comes to flashings. Did you know that most solatube flashing on peoples roofs are plastic?! Yet the customer thought they were getting steel. They think they are getting steel because that is what it shows on the website.

4th

Solatube glass diffuser are nice but will block light. Glass has a light transmission of around 60% where acrylic can get around 92%.

I am not a fan of Velux or Solatube. They remind me too much of big bussiness and the almighty dollar. I could mention alot more but this should suffice. You shouldnt have to get ahead in the world with lies and gimmicks designed by lawyers. I have installed Solatube and Velux, ODL, Us sunlght, Elite Solar systems, Natural light, Sun Pipe, and Sun Glo. ODl is probably the worst because the flashings disintegrate. Solatube comes in second because there domes and diffusers yellow and there plastic flashings warp. Velux and Us sunlight comes in third because they push substandard flexible tubing. Sun Pipe comes in 4th. because they use storm collars and sealant to hold there flashings together. Elite Solar Systems, Natural light and Sun Glo are the best as far as im concerned. I have been installing tubular skylights for 20 years. I use sun glo
but natural light and elite are good products also. They also carry 25 to 50 years warranties.
Atleast now people can make a more educated decision.

www. Sunglo.biz
www.nltubular.com
www.elitesolarsytems.com

There are probably about 30 tubular skylight manufactures in the world.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 9:32PM
gg004
~solaris tube skylights - do u install in Duluth, GA?
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 12:14PM
Solarise Tube Skylights
No We do not but i might be able to locate a roofer to install our product for you. Or i could sale you a DIY. I try to stay in contact with roofers because we are always looking for dealers around the United States. If that is not feasable i can call Natural light ( my competitor ) and see if they have any dealers in the area. Not the same product but it is made well and has a 25 year warranty. Let me know and i will see what i can do.

1st pic is of Natural light. i call them bubble tubes because of the bubble.
2nd pic sun glo on Tile
3rd pic is Sun Glo on Comp.
2 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 1:16PM
cutiesea
Which of these solar tubes would be best for a concrete tile roof? Who actually manufacture those flat tubes instead of the round tube? It appears that the flat solar tubes has less flashing and space to cut out. I do no need some light in my dark kitchen.
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 9:52PM
bigburrito
Cutiesea - Solatube has been the leader in tubular skylights for over 20 years. They are based in California and have perfected the installation on concrete tile roofs. Check here about 3/4 of the way down the page for the tile roof info/images: http://www.solatube.com/residential/product-catalog/brighten-up-series/index.php

Hope this helps.
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 6:30PM
bigburrito
Gg004 - check here for the Solatube Premiere Dealer that covers your area. They have factory trained installation professionals: http://www.solatube.com/residential/find-a-dealer.php?form=locator_search&client=solatube&template=locator&addressline=30097&GO.x=28&GO.y=8
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 6:36PM
Solarise Tube Skylights
Cutiesea- If you decide to go with Solatube be very cautious that the dealer doesn not give you a substandard plastic flashing. Code requires two metal flashing on tile roofs. The Sun Glo product i use is installed with two metal flashings as part of our standard installation. Solatube maybe the leader but that doesnt mean they are better. I have attached three pictures. One of Solatubes plastic flashing which they hide from there brochures and websites yet it is the most widely used flashing. Second picture shows the solatube being attached with a wire. Yes thats all thats attached this flashing to the roof. A single wire through plastic. The third picture is of sun glo on tile. There are alot better manufactures out there.
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 9:21PM
Elite Solar Systems, Inc.
Thank you Solarise for mentioning us in the comments above.
0 Likes   May 23, 2013 at 7:51AM
Elite Solar Systems, Inc.
Here is a picture of our Flat Tile Aluminum Flashing we manufacture. (Includes a galvanized steel Under Flashing)
0 Likes   May 23, 2013 at 7:57AM
VELUX
Hello sandee14 and everyone who contributed to this comment thread,

At VELUX, our point of view is that there are a variety of daylighting installation situations: small rooms, larger rooms with vaulted ceilings, closets, kitchens, hallways, bathrooms, rooms where you need a little more light and rooms that you want bathed in sunlight. That’s why we carry a variety of daylighting products.

For more than 70 years we have perfected the use of roof windows and skylights in homes and businesses to improve living and working environments for people around the world. We continue to strive to make our products perform better than any other daylighting product on the market.

VELUX SUN TUNNEL skylights are part of our core product offering because we know that some people want daylight without a view of the sky. Others want daylight in spaces that are too small for a flat skylight. The important thing is that they can have daylight either way and reduce their dependence on electrical lighting.

We stand behind our SUN TUNNEL skylights with a 20-year warranty on reflection-enhanced materials – including the reflective tunnel and a 5-year warranty on the polycarbonate dome. The rigid tunnel models of VELUX SUN TUNNEL skylights are made of 24-guage aluminum coated in 98 percent specular reflective silver, that provides ample task lighting during daylight hours. We stand behind the quality of our tubular skylight products and would not sell them if they did not provide ample task lighting.

Please allow me to correct some misconceptions in the comment thread about our flat skylights.

VELUX deck mounted and curb mounted skylights come with an industry first 10-year warranty on installation. Installed correctly with three layers of protection – the pre-attached deck seal, adhesive underlayment and VELUX engineered step flashing – our skylights will NOT leak. Locate a qualified installer for our flat or SUN TUNNEL skylights here: http://www.veluxusa.com/consumer/service/locators/skylight_installer_locator

We use energy efficient loE3 argon gas injected dual glass panes on all of our glass skylights to block virtually all UV rays and provide insulation against heat loss/gain. See testing data and read more about glazing used in our skylights here: http://skylights.veluxusa.com/consumer/products/residential_skylights/glazing/energy_efficiency_options

Finally, our flat skylights, including our new Solar Powered “Fresh Air” Skylight, give you the ultimate in flexibility in light control and ventilation. Select the blinds option, so you can have full light when and want it or close the blind when you want less light. Our “Fresh Air” models open to allow air flow into your home, and used in conjunction with open windows create a chimney effect that pulls warm air out the roof and cool air in through the windows.

We appreciate your questions and the lively debate in this thread because it helps to spread the word about the benefits of natural lighting in our homes and work spaces.
1 Like   May 23, 2013 at 10:42AM
Solarise Tube Skylights
VELUX: I do think that your flashing systems on your traditional skylights are built well. But a company that will try to sale and install a solar tube or sun tunnel that has flexible tubing is trying to save a buck and not thinking of the customer. A standard 10" Sun Glo solar tube will outperform a 22 inch sun tunnel with flexible tubing. Why install such a large fixture on your ceiling if a small fixture can supply ample light brighter than the large flexible units.

Below i have attached three pictures. First one is the inside of the miro silver tubing system, which Sun Tunnel does use on there rigid pipes. Manufactured
by Alanod. Why does Velux sale Alanod tubing which is like buying a lexus then also sale flexible tubing which is like saling a pinto? Could it be to sale you a substandard product to promote easier installation for there installers? Could it be to cut there manufacturing costs by using tubing that they can purchase for $8.00 for and 8' length instead of $8.00 a foot for the rigid? I have heard numerous times sun tunnel installers state that the flexible tuning is just as bright as the rigid. This is laughable. Something to ponder on wouldnt you agree.

The second pic is of a Sun tunnel viewed from the attic. You can see how inefficient it is by all the light it is letting into the attic.

The third pic is of two tubes. Can you guess which one is the 14" flexible and which one is the 10" rigid? You guessed it. Ridged is on the end and the flexible is in the front. What a difference!
2 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 8:35PM
camillejames11
Has anyone used Sun-Tek's Spyder multi-tube system? Also, are there any other products like it on the market? It is the only one I've been able to find.
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 7:23PM
Solarise Tube Skylights
Sun-Tek is the only company that uses a multiple tube system placed inside one large skylight and routed throughout your home. The idea and concept are great since you will only have one roof penetration but you will have a very severe loss of light if the ceiling locations are too far away. The longer the tube and more angled it is the greater loss of light you will have. This is the reason most companies only use one tube per roof penetration. You also wont get an even amount of light through each tube since they will be angled in different directions. The tubing itself is also very expensive and you will use alot more tubing than if you did one straight tube run. Like i said, the concept is great but it isnt very efficient when it comes to getting maximum light into your rooms. Hope this helps.
1 Like   July 25, 2013 at 5:51PM
Bumblebee Construction
LOL @ Solarise. This guy clearly has no idea what he is talking about. I am a General Contractor in the Los Angeles area who does full kitchen bath remodels and additions. Over the years we have installed hundreds of Solatube Daylighting Systems.

Yes. Solatube HAD acrylic flashings about 15 years ago but now all they sell are steel flashings that have a powdercoat and a high gloss coating. Is this Solarise guy stuck in a time warp or is this just his Sales Pitch?

I buy my product from a local Solatube dealer. Why? Because they always have parts in stock, they understand the product, and their staff has instlalled the product. They know what they are talking about. Additionally, I like to see the product looks like that I am buying, ie. I cant see a Velux installed anywhere. I cant see this Solarise product installed anywhere. Am I supposed to put this in my customers house without understanding what the light quality looks like? Where do I send my customers to look at the product.

Solarise guy. You can downplay Solatube all you want. The reason you do that is because you are living 15 years in the past. Take 15 minutes and visit a Solatube Showroom and maybe you would stop spewing garbage.

I have never been sold an acrylic flashing by Solatube. They do have them available and in some cases it might be preferable to install an acrylic flashings if you are doing it in a coastside town like Newport Beach or Long Beach. However, I still use the steel flashings and if need to apply marine paint to prevent any rusting due to the high levels of salt air.

I have never seen delamination with the product., and like I said, Ive installed these things for a while.

I think it is pretty weak of someone like Solarise to try to get sales for his company by creating false statements about another company.

Oh yea and as far as these spyder systems go, hope and prey you dont get a leak. They are essentially using a skylight flashing. We all know what happens with skylights. Im done with flashing skylights. Dont need the headache.

PS Dont listen to the Manufacturers' reps for what works best. Look at who is getting the awards in the industry through professional organizations and you will see that Solatube is far superior.
1 Like   October 19, 2013 at 6:38PM
Solarise Tube Skylights
LOL @ Bumble bee construction.

You obviosly dont know what you are talking about. I have attached three pictures. All are polypropylene plastic flashing with Solatubes new dome design which has only been in production for a couple years now.

You say Solatube had acrylic flashings 15 years ago. Solatube has never had acrylic flashings. You might want to do some research on what type of plastic polymers you are talking about.

You have installed 100 of tubes. Well my friend i have installed over 50,000 tubes in the last 20 years. I am in my 40's. I am a fifth generation contractor that was taught the fine art of craftsmanship at an early age. So YES i do know what i am talking about. People need to know the truth about Solatube. They are liars. The lie to there dealers and to there customers. They show one product on there website and put another product on peoples roofs. I am in Northern, CA. And have seen thousands of plastic Solatube flashings on peoples roofs without there knowledge.

About installing plastic flashing in other areas. As a contractor you should know about
CA. Fire codes. They state that only steel flashings can be used on a fire rated roof. Which is pretty much required in every county in CA.

De-lamination does occur. Look at the last Solatube picture.
I think the pictures speak for themselves.

First you say Solatube only sold plastic 15 years ago, Then you state
they offer them and may be preferred in certain areas.

You might want to get your facts straight.

And if plastic is so good and preferred in these areas then you should find them on every roof. Right?

You might want to do your research! This is my profession!

I dont see Solatube getting any awards for there plastic flashing's.

I looked at your page and it says you are from Pleasonton, Ca. yet you state you are from L.A. Which one is it? You also have only commented on this post. Why is that? You show no pictures of your work, a profile picture or anything. Could it be that you are actually a Solatube Dealer? Just wondering.

If you wish to install Solatube then that is your choice and the choice of others as well. But i will not stop telling and showing people the truth about Solatube and there plastic.
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 10:00PM
Madeline Reynolds
Solatubes are better. The color of the daylight is true. The Velux's color is more metalic blue.
1 Like   December 1, 2013 at 6:43PM
Madeline Reynolds
Houzz recently featured a story on skylights that did not promote tubular skylights. I was shocked how far off they missed the mark by not showing the latest trends in daylighting. The deep chase "square chimneys" of traditional box skylights suck up the heated air in the winter and bring in heat in the summer. Not so with tube skylights; they are heat neutral (no heat gain - no heat loss). My fav spot for my Solatube "tubular" skylight is in my windowless bathroom. Turn on the sun and turn off the electric light during the day....so sustainable:)
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 8:47PM
Solarise Tube Skylights
@Madeline Reynolds
Solatube does have a higher color rendering index than flex tubing. But solatube has a fluorescent look to it. Alanods Miro silver has no color shift giving your room true to life color and its not a polymeric film so no worries about delamination.
0 Likes   December 3, 2013 at 9:19PM
mcgoo555
Some interesting thoughts here -
Just a couple of points I would make -

Sun or solar tubes that use Alanod micro silver won't "rust" - the material is made from aluminium. It is possible that they might corrode if for whatever reason the contractor does a shoddy install and allows water ingress.
Solatube's Spectralight Infinity is indeed more reflective when it is new. Problem is - because its a 3M laminate film, the performance will drop over time, far below that of a material which is not laminated. the whole 99.7% vs 98% argument is a marketing sham, there's little to no difference in these pipes in reality.

I also have a problem with Solatube's light redirecting prism gimmicks. You do realise prisms reflect almost as much light as they bend right? If the daylight is diffused (overcast sky) then you are really decreasing the amount of light entering the dome. However - to be fair to solatube if the sun is at a very low angle in a clear sky it will most likely draw more light into the tube. It depends on your climate.

I feel like i've bashed enough on solatube so I will end by saying the last time I bought Solatubes, they came with metal flashings :) haven't seen a polymer flashing plate.
2 Likes   June 27, 2014 at 6:47AM
Spectrum Skyworks Skylights & Canopies
No matter what daylighting device you choose find out where it is made.
It is not too expensive to have a contractor out in a regular 2x4 skylight through your ceiling and roof.
LoE glass and vinyl frame models are the best. I am not a fan of tunnels myself but know they are getting popular. Always get three quotes and make sure they are apples to apples.
0 Likes   June 29, 2014 at 11:04PM
Needcinformation regarding the light kit for Velux sun tunnel.
We will be using them in interior bathrooms & walkin...
Velux Sun Tunnel Lovegrove Chandlier opinions?
Has anyone installed a Velux Sun Tunnel with the Lovegrove...
Skylights vs Sun tunnel for kitchen
Narrow kitchen with no natural light. Should I get...
Skylight vs sun tunnels - what is best?
We have a dark cherry, north facing kitchen with dark...
My "Woman" Cave... a soon to be peaceful retreat for ME!
This room has 2 sets of french doors with a set up...
Foyer orb light height - 4.75" chain ok?
Here is my foyer in progress. I am leaning towards...
Opinions needed on family/living room ideas
Our family room is a little bare and boring. I have...
What color sofa?
Hi - I am going to order a new sofa and I am picking...
Built in cabinets
We have this built in. The counter hight is 11 inches...