Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joncox

Family room colour ideas needed.

Cheri
9 years ago
I have just purchased some gray/brown leather couches for my family room, with the intentions of having bright cushions and something on the wall to cheer up the area.
it is adjacent to my kitchen with i have some green apple green colour in - see the apple topiary and pears on the silver stand (a bit old now i know!) Also the doorway you can see on the left of the picture leads to my lounge room in which i have brown leather sofa and these red wallpaper stripes which i am very pleased with.
Any ideas how to tie the apple green colour with the raspberry red in my family room i would be glad of. I would love some feature paint on the wall - maybe a pattern with a small amount of green and red? or a big canvas (would have to be instead of the clock i guess)
would a green throw and a red thrown over the back of the couch work?
i guess im not trusting my own instincts on this one!!!
thanks in advance to all the very helpful people on this site

Comments (16)

• happyleg
    9 years ago
    Kitchen good. 3 pillows for couches. I don't know what to say about the red stripes, not me. It's definely different.
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    I like your idea of bright cushions to break up the sofa mass, and something bold on the wall behind. One throw should be plenty. Keep an eye out for an area rug to coordinate and ground the seating group, as well. When that is decided on, you may wish to consider a fresh wall colour,too. (Nice kitchen!)
    Cheri thanked studio10001
  • User
    9 years ago
    Lower the clock, close in the sofas to make a conversational area and consider something other than those red stripes. The rest of the rooms look clean and sharp and the stripes look spongy. Make the pillows bold.
    Cheri thanked User
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    I love your striped wall. A large piece of art or area rug that includes both the raspberry and lime green would be perfect. How about a lime green lamp like the white one in photo #3? You don't need an overwhelming amount of green to pull it off. Start with accent pieces and work your way toward more color until it feels right.
    Cheri thanked makaloco
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Our OP has said that they are "very pleased" with their stripes, so here are some ideas for inspiration: a glass top table to show off the area rug, a square side table in hopes of making an L shape w the sofas, and an arc floor lamp, to read by better.2 rug choices, and your colours in art and pillows( an additional accent colour would look well):
    [houzz=
    Modern black oval clear glass coffee table Ronneby · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Puka sidetable · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Scion Floor Lamp Gold · More Info
    ]
  • Cheri
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thank you studio & makaloco.
    like the green lamp idea - have been wondering if i could paint it!!
    the seating arrangment isnt an issue - we change it to suit us as and when we need. we also have a tub chair facing these 2.
    i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what i could paint on the wall? i dont like plain feature walls really. i havent got much money left for buying art or rugs at the moment
    would prefer no other comments than what i have been asking. nearly puts you off Houzz.
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    You might stripe horizontally in an accent colour. If you like the idea of artwork,( you mentioned canvas) you might use large splashes of interior paint on a large canvas. The quart cans work well for such a project, drips and pooling are encouraged, and the effect would be something like the example above. Stapling a patterned fabric across a frame is yet another ( fast!) way to bring in your colours.
  • Cheri
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thanks... good ideas for a canvas! that picutre above, is perhaps not exactly my choice, the colours are good, but i could even do something myself with the colours in i had a random idea but i dont want it to look like a play room, and that was either stripes or squares with just the wall colour and white, and just pur a red and a green one in different spots (just one of each). if you get the picture!
    i actually have a brown and cream real cow skin rug there at the moment, it goes perfect with the floor and area, It has some sentimental history, but it might have to be replaced by a something different.! i think you can just about see the corner of it in #2
    the stripes are in a very big room, and everyone who looks at it says "wow" i have touches of the raspberry around the room. and a great big clock hanging on a chain in the corner.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I don't think your clock or your lamp have enough visual weight on that big wall. I would move the clock to the striped wall and replace it with art, or perhaps these Rex Ray decals from Blik. I think cb2's atomic lobster floor lamp in black would be perfect for the space. I would not paint another accent wall. Raspberry stripes are enough for one room. I do like the idea of adding green.
    Cheri thanked groveraxle
  • Cheri
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    hey, thanks groveraxle - love how you can do these visuals.
    sorry for misunderstanding, but the striped wall is in another room - you can see the doorway just in the left of the pictures you have done above, and that red striped wall is what you see ahead of you as you walk through that doorway. they are 2 separate rooms, but do need to sort of flow together.
    would take another pic to show you but i left my phone in my hubbys car and he is out ! The black lamp you have put there is really good- my kind dad just bought me the white lamp which i dont like, but he bought it for that corner as it was too dark for his liking!! so i will have to find another use for it if i change it!
    The decals are a good idea, probably not too expensive
  • Cheri
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i have this clock in the room where the red stripes are
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    joncox, I just went back and reread your original post and the mistake is mine. You said very clearly they were two different rooms.

Check out Blik wall decals. The ones I posted are $50, though I don't actually know how large they are. But looks like you have a lot of very large, very blank walls to fill.

The other ones I like that I think will go well are the whole wall of birch trees. Very minimalist, and you can cover a whole wall for about $100. Of course, that doesn't tie in the raspberry, but you can always do that with pillows and throws.
    Cheri thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Cheri thanked groveraxle
  • Cheri
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    waow - that looks awesome!!! do u think i could still keep the clock there? i actually use it often as the main time keeping clock.
    you are very kind to do all this work for free.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Your great! Groveraxle.