How much walking space is needed in WIC (coat closet)
dreikup
I have a 5'4" wide closet (length is 6'8") I would like to make 20" deep cubbies on one side and 12" cubbies on the opposite wall. 32" is left to walk thru is that enough or will it be too crowded?
HI - Yes , 32 inches is enough to walk through.
0 Likes   July 21, 2014 at 9:44PM
dreikup
Appreciate your quick response. Is it enough room if both sides are being used at the same time. Reaching under to get the boots I wonder if their backs would bump into one another.
0 Likes   July 21, 2014 at 9:59PM
HI -- Tape out the 32 inches on the floor somewhere and set chairs or something on each side and walk it out and do some maneuvers and see if you get in each others way . 32 inches is like a narrow hallway.
0 Likes   July 22, 2014 at 8:26AM
hayleydaniels
One thing you want to consider, and I don't mean to be a killjoy, but what if you need to call an ambulance, and they need to get a gurney through there? It would be extremely tight at 32". My husband has been a firefighter for 30 years, and I know how tough it is when the house is either so cluttered they can't get through, or small that it's tough to get the patient out in a timely manner. A 36" hallway is plenty narrow--I wouldn't go any narrower than that.
0 Likes   July 22, 2014 at 8:35AM
HI -- @ hayleydaniels -- Just want to point out that your thinking is right if this was a "hallway ",but this is for a "walk-in closet ".
0 Likes   July 22, 2014 at 8:52AM
Gravitas, Inc.
It could feel tight with two people using it. What "pulls out", if there are drawers, or baskets in the cubbies that will take more space. If it's a dead end closet it might be adequate, but 36" is ideal. Some of it also depends on how big you are.
0 Likes   July 22, 2014 at 9:39AM
dreikup
Thank you all for replying. The closet is for kids only, I have two other closets for adults. My builder claims that it should be enough room and I shouldn't take some space from the room next door - which will be my husband's study. So I guess I hope that I won't regret this decision. (If yes, it won't be the end of the world.)
0 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 9:53PM
Help me finish our family room please
So far we have laid new carpet, put in a new gas fireplace,...
New Bathroom
We are building a new house and I am deciding what...
Stairs: white risers? white spindles? or both?
Off white walls and off white tile flooring. The cabinetry...
Granite install issues!!
Our contractor told us there would not be a seam in...
What dining chairs go best with my new table?
I just had this table and bench custom made and I need...