Kitchen Dilemma

Sasha SunshineJuly 22, 2014
We are renting this home therefore I am stuck with the appliances and dark cabinets. I'm also a minimalist, which makes everything look bare and boring. Any suggestions on what decor to add? Should I add decor over the cabinets? Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
sharenblowers
Yes, add plates, pitchers, platters, over the cabinets. Pick your color palette and look for those thrift store dines. I would also look for different window treatments.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 4:49AM
2dogssashatess
A large bunch of flowers in a beautiful vase works wonders
1 Like    Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 5:03AM
Moxiemom
Quite a dilemma. Lined up like little soldiers. I would not put any clutter above the cabinets. Consider getting two LARGE, very colorful pictures. One a square, which would go in the triangle space above the cabinets. One a large rectangle, hung vertically, in the huge empty space. Add reds and blues. Bright. Really fill in the spaces. You need to take focus OFF those cabinets. I've heard you can blow up a photo at Staples. Not sure if they do color, but that is what you need there.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 5:22AM
Moxiemom
But don't rush off to Staples until u remove those window treatments
1 Like    Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 5:23AM
Moxiemom
I changed my mind. You need another square above the fridge, not a rectangle. The same size or larger.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 5:24AM
helixg1
I like decor over cabinets if it's not overdone.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 5:47AM
Moxiemom
I do too! In fact, I have decor over mine. But my cabinets are shorter, broken out into segments and of different heights. But hers are a line of straight monotonous brown cabinets. That's why I recommend drawing away from that.

Mine:
1 Like    Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:02AM
asquithoatley
Oh please do not put anything on top of the cabinets- just collects dust and looks so awful.
Its looks dated and I think you could add some art on the walls or display some lovely objects on your shelves instead.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:04AM
Moxiemom
She also needs the vivid color to draw away from the sharp contrast of brown and yellow
1 Like    Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:06AM
Kim Harvey Design, LLC
Since you're a minimalist then I would definitely NOT add anything above the cabinets. It creates clutter because your eye cannot see items up that high clearly (note how the clock "disappears" above the sink)…any attempt at creating a focal point in this fashion actually adds confusion & creates a competition w/the loudly-speaking cabinetry.
Now, in order to live w/what you cannot change but make your spaces feel like home, here are a few recommendations:
1st, you can apply that notion of large & bright artwork in your dining space by changing out the drapery panels for solid & semi-sheer white/off-white that reach the floor (I would remove the valance over the sink) & hanging your art (large & something you really love) on the long wall where a smaller piece currently resides.
This will be the pleasant distraction away from the kitchen you're looking for that I would then support w/a solid or very simply-patterned area rug (don't forget a good rug pad so it doesn't creep) that takes up as much floor space as possible.
Next, I would move your large baskets into the bottom shelves of your shelving units because they're too visually "heavy" to be placed up high.
It looks to me in your photo like you have small collections of items on display but placed separately on these same shelving units.
I would group these together & stagger your collections so that your eye easily travels back and forth, & there's no competition for attention between them (I would also place your wall clock here amongst the mix…it'll look great, & you'll actually be able to see it!).
Finally, I would dress your table & chairs by adding a square linen tablecloth in the same color as your new drapery panels as well as seat cushions in either a solid or subtle pattern that compliments all other elements. Seasonally-themed flowers & candles atop the table will be the ideal "cherry on top."
Good luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:41AM
Sasha Sunshine
I am truely amazed at all the great feedback and different viewpoints! Looks like I have a lot of work to do. I have 2 little ones so I skipped the rug under table but one in kitchen center sounds easier to maintain. Going to give all of your suggestions a try. Thanks again. I'll be back with updates. Best.
    Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 11:04PM
Kitchen dilemma
Hi My kitchen is being painted in 2 weeks and I do...
avated
Kitchen dilemma
We are remodelling our kitchen and everything has come...
stanmichelle
Kitchen dilemma~Help~
Help...my kitchen has a black granite floor, cherry...
bventi
Kitchen dilemma
I'm looking for some budget ideas to remodel kitchen....
joasia2015
Kitchen dilemma
I want to put a breakfast bar between my kitchen and...
rpeterman35
what goes with a teal couch??
I have this light teal couch and love seat and have...
theruts
Advice for garden planter
Hi we recently created this planter from recycled concrete...
julygarden
Which sofa for This Living Room
Which sofa would go well for this living room? We like...
Bee Cat
Tell us: What would you hide in your Secret Room?
More and more often, we see photos on Houzz of secret...
Ladybugs in the garden?
Have you ever released ladybugs in your garden to battle...