Need Master Bath Layout Help

chelseajoannJuly 22, 2014
We recently added a large addition onto an older farm house that we're gutting and remodeling. The first floor of the new addition is our master bedroom, which include the master bath. We're having troubles deciding the layout of where we want things. And since we're doing it all ourselves we don't have much experience. I would ideally like to have a stand alone tub (doesn't have to be huge), a shower, a double vanity, and of course a toilet. But the room is only 8x10 and doesn't seem big enough. Where the door is now isn't' a problem since its just been framed we can move that around. Does anyone one have advice on how to lay it out and if its possible to have all of these pieces in that size of a room?
On one of the 10' sides of the room you could place your tub and shower, allowing 6' for the free standing tub and 4' for the shower (48 x 42"). On the other 10' side, you'd have space for a 7' double vanity and a toilet. If you want you could put a half wall between the vanity and toilet and make the vanity 6.5'.
    Bookmark   Thanked by chelseajoann    July 22, 2014 at 6:58AM
Tammy Kluting
It is possible, but it might be tight, depending on the overall size of your double vanity and the shower size. One way to help would be to have a tiled shower with glass door, these typically take less space than a prebuilt fiberglass one. Also, remember to think about how much storage your need in the space when determining the size and design of your vanity.
    Bookmark   Thanked by chelseajoann    July 22, 2014 at 6:59AM
A floor plan would allow for layout ideas.
    Bookmark   Thanked by chelseajoann    July 22, 2014 at 7:22AM
chelseajoann
Okay, I measured and attempted to draw a floor plan. I apologize, since I don't really know if this is how its suppose to be drawn out.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 7:19AM
PPF.
Your plan is fine -- better than most because you properly located the window.

Could you start by expanding your plan to show the entire new addition? Where is your closet, for example. Also which walls are exterior (if any besides the window wall).

Could the window be moved?
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 8:04AM
I've given your layout a try which you will see below. The vanity is 78" long plus an 18" wide linen cabinet.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by chelseajoann    August 1, 2014 at 8:39AM
chelseajoann
ppf. Attached here is another attempt to better explain. The wall with the window is even with the original part of the house and is an exterior wall. The window can't be moved since the exterior of the house is done completely.

This drawing is by no means to scale, I just eyeballed it and added to my original. I hope this helps!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 7:30AM
Is there something in the drawing I posted that does not work for you?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:33AM
chelseajoann
No Carolyn Albert-Kincl! I loved it! I actually saved it to my phone so I could text the design to my husband and dad. Thank you! I was afraid there wouldn't be room for everything - let alone a linen closet!!! I was very happy with it!
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:36AM
PPF.
I tried before, and just now, and cannot fit what you want into the space comfortably. The dimensions and window placement are awkward.

Could you expand a bit into the closet left or right? Again, having a plan of the entire space would be a help.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:19AM
Post Frame Accessories
Carolyn's drawing seems to make the most sense for me. The only thing I might add is to consider using a sliding door (pocket or barn door style) so the door doesn't swing into the sink etc. If you want a barn door style, we provide hardware that can be used with nearly any style door. I attached a few images to hopefully help you visualize your options.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:28AM
katinahat
yes, carolyn, well done
the bath shower combo with all glass makes the room feel so open and i love the function of what looks to be drawer/cab on the counter partially separating the sinks
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:43AM
Carolyn's sketch is great - I would make three changes if my bath - put the toilet with a screen wall where she has the shower, 32" wide 60" long/4" wall. Shift tub to under window and make lower linen open shelves / wider for ease of access. Place shower at right end of tub and toilet wall, with tile, frameless glass surround .. but would build side wall / shower header wall - leaving entry behind door swing - shower can be as wide as tub leaves it or make half the room a wet room . . . 60" long. Place venting fan light in toilet space.

Door that can lock properly is important if you have children, leave door as drawn. I prefer that married people be able to be in bathroom at same time, but provide some privacy for toilet. Some peoples habits never share and so open toilet is no issue. You can decide for your situation.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 10:03AM
Yes, katinahat, the vanity I drew would have both a stack of 18" wide drawers between the 2 sinks, plus an 18" wide storage tower in the middle of the countertop, similar to the photo below. For vanity lighting, I would like to see a vertical sconce on each side of each sink for a total of 4. I'd like the sconces to provide 100 watts each or equivalent.

Historic Hillsborough · More Info

Farmhouse Reinterpreted · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by chelseajoann    August 6, 2014 at 10:23AM
I have friends with a barn door on their master bath. The husband complains about the noise it makes when pushed open or closed in the middle of the night. It's actually a lot quieter than many barn doors, but makes a noticeable noise in the quiet of the night.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 10:25AM
Here are some bath sconces I like for you. If you incorporate the tower into the vanity design, you'll need 4 sconces. Without the towel, you would use 3, with one between the two sinks.

Trans Globe Lighting 2521 PC Wall Sconce In Polished Chrome · More Info

Murray Feiss Lighting-VS19701-PN-Concord - One Light Bath Vanity Strip · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 10:45AM
PPF.
?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by chelseajoann    August 6, 2014 at 12:49PM
That's wonderful, ppf! Thanks for doing that.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 1:03PM
PPF.
This was my first idea too, but the toilet looks like an afterthought. Oops -- we forgot the toilet!!!

I also wonder how to detail where the tub and shower connect. I'd typically place a short wall there. And where do the bath towels hang?

With just a bit more room ...

I'd still like to the entire space with dimensions.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 1:59PM
Where the tub and shower connect, I considered a short wall that could then become a small bench in the shower, however I hated to give up 5" of space. So without a short wall, the glass would need to be supported by the tub. I don't know if frameless glass would work in this situation, or even if the budget allows for frameless glass.

If it were in a more modern setting than a farmhouse, I'd love to see the vanity wall mounted, with a foot of space under it. That would certainly make the room look bigger.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 2:09PM
Help with layout of new kitchen and master bath plan.
We are designing a new home. Breaking ground in Spring....
beneathnorthernskies
Need help master bath layout
I have angle wall in master bath. I want to replace...
remkus
Need help with small master bath layout
Creating a master bath from a very large walk in closet....
karynkae
Need help with master bath layout
We are currently remodeling our master bedroom and...
3smithchicks
We need help with our new master bath layout
We are adding a new master bedroom and changing our...
3smithchicks
I used semi gloss paint on my bedroom walls
One wall darker gray (BM Cobblestone Path) and other...
kimberjo68
Should we paint original woodwork in Victorian home?
We own and rent out my childhood home. It's a Victorian...
ziggi10
Long narrow kitchen layout
I was hoping to get some ideas as to how to layout...
lisakro
choosing a great sofa manufacturer with a good price point
Am searching for a good furniture manufacturer with...
housebrowser
Need help in my living room
So I am in the process of decorating the great room/living...
bratliff1972