What topics would you like to see more of?
Emmeline Westin
Now that the shiny new Houzz UK has launched, we want to hear feedback from our UK Houzzers!

What topics would you like to see in the Advice section? Are there any specific ideas you want to read about in Ideabooks? We would love to hear your thoughts!

William Hodgson
Anything to do with edwardian homes
3 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 2:44AM
designeyes
Small spaces for all of us trying to maximise our London homes! Particularly bathrooms and kitchens!
15 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 2:52AM
Kelly Add
New England themes? I am currently renovating a 1950's, largely extended self-build and having only ever lived in two new builds previously - I am a little lost as to ideas on how to transform big spaces whilst retaining a classic, modern, young family feel... Minimalist and shabby chic is not my thing - I prefer robust, textures, a hint of opulence but not too 'girly'.
3 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 4:12AM
Sarah McColm
I love articles on most things - storage (clothes, kitchen, hallway) is a favourite of mine though!

Is there anyway to aggregate the new article feed on the front page for the US & UK sites? I want to read them all without having to switch between sites! Thank you x
10 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 4:25AM
cmcgough
Need creative ways to use non-vented fireplaces, inset or hung on walls, gas or other...
5 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 11:34AM
Emmeline Westin
Hi Sarah! Ideabooks are separate to each country, so unfortunately there's no way to aggregate them. Glad to hear you enjoy reading both the US and UK content though!
0 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 12:06PM
cavgirl
This isn't site related as such, but I'd like to see the mobile apps reflect my location. I get emails with all these interesting UK idea books, but I have to fire up the browser to read them. My sight isn't the greatest, I'd much prefer to be able to see all the uk stuff in one place in the app!
2 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 7:17PM
maisiemartin
I am interested in

1. garden designs to include poultry and kids toys yet still look attractive;

2. ways to reuse and reinvent original features in 1930s homes such as fireplaces and stained glass windows;

3.also how to light rooms with natural and artificial light, I'd like to know where will I need fixtures, not necessarily central, but why, and how far will this wattage reach? to that dark corner?
3 Likes   July 24, 2014 at 7:26AM
christopherjohnwells
it would be good to see some articles on the latest trends and styles in the UK market. Features on thing like tiles, paints, furniture etc.
9 Likes   July 24, 2014 at 8:16AM
Daman of Witham
Would be good to have an article on either quirky designs/products or clever ideas. For instance we have a shower basket on our projects that lifts off a bracket on the wall so you can clean behind it....
6 Likes   July 24, 2014 at 8:42AM
Emmeline Westin
@Cavgirl The UK app is coming shortly, we're working on it!
2 Likes   July 24, 2014 at 12:16PM
ruthshoose
Would like ideas on how to design apartments for singles when you downsize after the family have flown the nest. Can be challenging even although there are no other people to take into consideration.
6 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 12:29PM
soozmacrae
As I live in a 50s house. You know the type, rather boring form the outside. Id like to see really out there interiors that are a surprise.
6 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 12:56PM
glgodden
Would Love to see lots of innovative ideas for maximising space in our mainly much smaller UK properties
11 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 11:44PM
embzop
Would like to see ideas on how to incorporate functionality into creative designs. In particular, how to place (or disguise) tvs. I've seen so many lovely looking living and family rooms on Houzz but they rarely have the tv in a place where it can be comfortably viewed. Other areas are the kitchen and bathroom. How can the clutter in these rooms be hidden and accessible?
11 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 12:19AM
Mike Fletcher
Definitely see more good design for small spaces throughout the home, especially innovative ideas such as storage or fold-away beds etc. Maybe a look at what people do in other countries such as Japan or in Scandinavia. I think a lot of these sites are a bit one dimensional, you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. Show me something completely different, radical, and dare I say it, original.
10 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 1:41AM
daisysdad
Hi, love the site, I am currently planning a garden shed / art studio and love going through the U.S. site looking for ideas but would love to see what's going on in the U.K.
2 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 1:45AM
Julie Bennett-Pitts
More space saving design and temporary homes
4 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 4:44AM
gillwhitehurst
I have a small flat I need storage in everythng dining chairs benchs coffee tables tv and music areas. I love the Houzz sites but the propertys are always so big. Also outside just have a small patio would like ideas to make it calm relaxing space with big leafy plants that won't die in our winters.
6 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 11:29AM
Emmeline Westin
@embzop Good topic!
1 Like   July 27, 2014 at 11:33AM
gillwhitehurst
Also would very much like to see some realistic electric log fires at realistic prices am hoping to get one before xmas a nice slim modetn wall hung one .
2 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 11:35AM
mademesne
I would love to see more designs for front gardens that include off street parking
6 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 11:48AM
anneowl
@mademesne, you beat me to it. Front gardens (back gardens too) that are for the standard UK house and especially ones that are not prohibitively expensive.
3 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 11:59AM
sharonkc
Dealing with Victorian homes in modern day. How to bring them into the 21st. century without killing the character of the period. Basically marrying modern and Victorian, if that makes sense.
7 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 5:22PM
emafoxx
Great to see Houzz UK! I would love to see clever ideas on how to hide & incorporate the household bins & recycling we have to keep at the front of our houses! Please Help! ×
9 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 11:25PM
thedarlingsbecca
I would like to have a primer on scale and balance. Also, what are the standard guides for height of pictures; space between dining chairs and china cabinet; hanging a chandelier and size of room and table; how much space between couch and coffee table; how much space for walk through to next room? What about exterior - ratio of height of house to how far out landscaping should come...
7 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 11:45PM
eqwerty
I have the Houzz app. But how do I see whats on just the UK Houzz, is there a different app or do I just put up Houzz.uk
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 12:48AM
catz1
A little more practical and affordable and more "regular" size houses would be nice. Maybe something with modest ceilings, but then we wouldn't have anything to aspire to. Love the beautiful stuff, wish more of it could be used in my home.
7 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 1:13AM
Emmeline Westin
@eqwerty We don't have an app for Houzz UK yet, but we're working on it! For now, you can browse our beautiful content on houzz.co.uk.
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 1:46AM
Sarah Kinrade
Inspiration for regular homes. I live in a 2 bed 1930s semi with no dining room and not much of a hall way. I'd like to get inspiration from homes that are actually relatable
8 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 5:56AM
Daman of Witham
We are trying to load up as many of our projects we can. not only those in huge mansions but in your typical 3 bed semi too. We are at the early stages of loading up projects but given time some more will appear!
4 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 5:58AM
Daman of Witham
We have just uploaded such a "normal " room. Our project Mr & Mrs Emily, it was a small ensuite but we made the most of it. Our other project Mr & Mrs Gray also had a small Bathroom, but with the right lighting etc it gave it the feel of a larger room. Check them out on our profile!
6 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 8:44AM
embzop
This is a very selfish request as I have a particular project in mind. To achieve it I'd love to see photos of different lighting effects ie not the light fixture itself but how the type of lighting affects the ambience of the room.
I really like the photo below. It's a fairly small dining room and appears to have no natural light so must have been a real challenge but it has been made to look spectacular partly by the lighting effects.
]
6 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 10:43AM
thedarlingsbecca
Agree about downsizing to smaller space, just for one. It's hard to decide what to take with - what would be best - from a lifetime of purchased furniture and inherited pieces!

Also, many wonderful rooms have an architectural feature that enhances the decor. How about decorating smaller and more ordinary spaces?
3 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 9:57PM
Barnes Walker Ltd - Landscape Architects
Here's a photo of a small front garden we did. We've often done similar designs to create off road parking for Smaller semi's and terraces. So when the car is out it doesn't look too much like parking space.
3 Likes   July 29, 2014 at 11:07AM
thedarlingsbecca
How are Houzzers using their Living and Dining Rooms, if they also have a Family Room? What are some of the ways those rooms could still be used traditionally, at times, but for other purposes the rest of the time? Is there special furniture that gas multi-purposes? What about if you have usual furniture in the rooms?
4 Likes   July 30, 2014 at 1:52AM
hesmywatermelon
How to sympathetically decorate a period family home's that maybe arent AMAZING but still have great bones. and not just Victorian places. Edwardian, and 1930's semi's type of places.
2 Likes   July 30, 2014 at 7:20AM
cvbo
To encourage people to opt for wood for new doors, windows and extansions rather than plastic
4 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 10:03AM
alfieroy
I would love how to use colour in a room and how to choose accessories to bring a room to life.
3 Likes   August 17, 2014 at 11:58AM
missmjbs
would you be able to add a 'sort by' feature when viewing ideas - would be great to sort by £ descending etc or have a £ parameter slider ( I just got :(( as all the items I loved were way out my price range! )
0 Likes   August 19, 2014 at 8:12AM
Tom Flanagan
@embzop @thedarlingsbecca Really great topic ideas! We'll be doing our best to fuel your decorating fires with some content about optimising space and lights!
0 Likes   August 19, 2014 at 9:26AM
sunnie2day
I'd love to see some pieces on dealing with planning permission, especially for listed buildings.

Would be over the moon to see something (several somethings, lol!) on coping with noise through common walls. We're in a 'temporary' semi-detached and the neighbour on the other side is a child-minder with a total of 8 little (heh) darlings bouncing off the walls (two hers+3 other school aged, and three toddlers during the day)! They also do a family karaoke night every Saturday night. They're a lovely family but wowsa are they LOUD!

Would also love to see how other Houzzers and Houzz Pros cope with garden privacy in a semi-detached or terraced property - see above;)
0 Likes   August 19, 2014 at 10:44AM
Helen Charlton
A run down of mid century style furniture. Sofas, small sideboards. That's my current shopping list!
1 Like   August 19, 2014 at 12:02PM
mrsjoy
Would love any ideas for a garage conversion.
1 Like   August 20, 2014 at 1:07AM
Just uploaded more photos of our Edwardian house in Manchester,
It's a smaller space, both front and back, might be of interest to some perhaps. Good topic by the way!
2 Likes   August 20, 2014 at 1:26PM
Couture Cases Ltd
Dont know whether you have sorted your radiator cabinets yet but you might want to consider something from our latest ranges - all available in the colours and materials you mention www.couturecases.co.uk
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:33PM
neilandlaura
Would be interesting to see an ideabook focused on what can be done to improve or extend your property which doesn't need planning permission. Would also be cool to see ideabooks about community gardens and neighborhood projects.
2 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 12:39AM
Lady Tottington's Poodle
I would like to see less of some people adding copy and pasted advert answers in dilemmas when they aren't even answering the question!!
3 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 1:05AM
margretg2
So many rooms present a challenge re furniture arrangement. I'd like to see something on this - perhaps a room with different examples of furniture placement so we could see what works and what doesn't. I have a narrow sitting room with a fire in the wrong place and I don't know whether to try to disguise this or emphasise it, turning it into a gallery effect.
3 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 1:37AM
Emmeline Westin
@Lady Tottington's Poodle - Please feel free to report any comments you feel don't belong in the thread and we'll take a look!
0 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 1:59AM
edson36
I agree with margretg2, many uk homes are challenging space wise - ideas that reflect the smaller scales, have innovative storage solutions and use of colour to give illusion of space very welcome....basically the tardis effect!
2 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 2:00AM
kahlofem
Loft conversions of small Victorian and Edwardian houses, galley kitchens, turning the third upstairs bedroom in a Victorian house into a first floor bathroom, side return extensions, removing stone cladding, restoring period features, finding traditional doors (both internal and external), decorating children's bedrooms (and sourcing decor), mirrors!
2 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 4:47AM
mulberrypeony
I'd like to see some conservatory interiors please.
2 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 8:48AM
deborahsears
A complete house tour is always interesting, especially when suppliers are easy to find. They would be even better if they included the square footage. And if an extension or new build included a cost indicator like low, moderate, high., and finally stellar, this would help to cool the imagination. Creative solutions come in all theses categories, spare us the less than creative.
2 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 4:03PM
cazsf
Another vote for 1930's semi! So many of them throughout greater London, and we need lots of help with ours. Everything from architects experienced in extending them, to products at the right scale and where to source them, garden design, downstairs cloakroom, what to do with a box room, and rear/loft extension inspiration!
1 Like   August 31, 2014 at 2:35AM
alisonheppell
1970s uk houses
2 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 2:18PM
Sam Hill
Things to do with smaller gardens
0 Likes   September 10, 2014 at 1:13PM
Tracey Scattergood
Some house plans, for self building. Love to flick through houzz for inspiration.
3 Likes   September 10, 2014 at 11:19PM
OnePlan
@Tracey Scattergood ... Couldn't agree more !! I uploaded some of my drawings and CAD into Houzz and, although they are still on my pro page , they have taken them all out of the photo area because they 'weren't photos' - they suggested I get professional photos taken of the finished projects instead - if I charged enough to pay a pro photographer I'd never get any work in as I'd be too expensive !!! So YES Please Houzz - a section for drawings for people to brouse though too please !! It can't be that difficult - and let's face it - it's a fundamental part of the design process !!!
8 Likes   September 11, 2014 at 1:57AM
jessegee
second that Karen, great artists have been known to sketch inspiration in the early stage of a masterpiece, the process is fascinating

Also second many great suggestions above :))
3 Likes   September 11, 2014 at 2:31AM
Emmeline Westin
Thanks for the suggestion @OnePlan!
2 Likes   September 11, 2014 at 4:33AM
Victoria Harrison
Thank you all for your great suggestions. We have been working on ideabooks to answer these questions and i'll post them here as they go live. Keep the suggestions coming!
2 Likes   September 11, 2014 at 4:34AM
Victoria Harrison
First up - you asked for ideas on off-road parking. Hope this helps
1 Like   September 11, 2014 at 4:39AM
tatianacollins
I would like to see real family houses that are elegant and sophisticated yet truly accommodating and designed to live in.
0 Likes   September 11, 2014 at 4:10PM
Tom Flanagan
For all of you looking for the UK app, it's here! Go to the App store and download, or if you have it already, all you need to do is update it! For information on how to update it and the features involved, we've added a discussion explaining it all! Hope that helps!
http://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/1205426/how-do-i-update-the-houzz-app
0 Likes   October 8, 2014 at 2:37AM
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg
70's home help
I have solid oak tongue and groove paneling on all...
one4colorado
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
I need some design for Open concept house
Start form main entrance going to living room to view...
stevencastro
Shower system
I want a simple shower system where both shower head...
Susan Pierce