Tree on the right
Denise Vilim
April 4, 2012 in Photo Questions
Anoyone know what type of tree this is? It looks very yucca-like. If so, what variety of yucca is it?
Thank you!
Lisa Hallett Taylor
Hi Denise:
That looks like Yucca elephantipes, aka Yucca gigantea or Giant Yucca. They grow about 2 feet a year to an eventual 15-30 feet. If it's not Giant Yucca, it's probably Yucca aloifolia, or Spanish Bayonet, which grows to about 15 feet.
1 Like   April 4, 2012 at 11:06AM
Denise Vilim
Thanks Lisa! After reading your response, I did a search for both types and found the following 2 photos of Yucca elephantipes, which look almost identical to the one pictured above. It is difficult to tell between the different species because many are so similar to one another. I actually have 4 Yucca cane elephantipes (according to the label from the plant store) in my front flower bed, but they sure don't look like the ones pictured here. Ha ha. I think they are still relatively young though, so maybe in time...
Thanks for the info!
0 Likes   April 4, 2012 at 11:59AM
Lisa Hallett Taylor
I have Giant Yuccas growing in my front and back yards, and they do, indeed grow pretty fast. There's one in my yard that is probably reaching up to 30 feet, although I've never measured it. When my dog was younger he used to climb the trunk, chasing lizards. The trunks are strong and can grow horizontally before reaching skyward. They do need to be pruned once a year or so -- by pulling off the dead leaves that are usually at the bottom. When they get up to 20 feet or so, it's time to call in someone with a big ladder!
0 Likes   April 4, 2012 at 5:32PM
I was given a painting that could be cool OR maybe it is totally lame?
It is an original Paris street scene by Antonio De...
My long narrow entry hall
My entry is 15'x4'. And one long side is completely...
Help in tying rooms together
I love Houzz but this is my very first post! My main...
Alternatives to bifold door for new bathroom?
We just moved into our new co-op apartment. Our bathroom...
Problems with your spouse?
Do you have challenges with your spouse when you're...