7'2 bathroom ceilings - Contractor said we will not notice. ?
pearriverparents
July 23, 2014 in Design Dilemma
We just built out a new bathroom. It is definitely small - since it is just a powder room of our kitchen. When I say small - It is just a toilet and pedestal sink. Very tiny room. In order to hide a soffit that we couldnt get rid of (it is ductwork that cannot be moved - our celing has to be 7'2 inches from ground. Is this unheard of? I am worried. We will just have one high-hat in there - no light above mirror......contractor doesnt seem to think it's a big deal. He gave us the choice of keeping the soffit but our designer said we should probably just hide it and keep a flush ceiling. Ceilings everywhere else is 8 or 9 feet.....hoping this will just be cozy and we wont notice....but what are your thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Tisdale Home Solutions, LLC
How much of the ceiling contains the soffit? You will definitely notice a ceiling height drop from 8' or 9' to 7'2". There may be a creative way to leave the soffit and trim or hang lights around it. Can you provide a sketch or pictures?
1 Like   Thanked by pearriverparents    July 23, 2014 at 3:35PM
pearriverparents
Please see these photos. These photos were taken from behind what will be the back wall of the bathroom so you can see it's pretty small. Contractor said having the soffit covered and then normal ceiling height would be so weird in such a small room. What do you think?
0 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 4:14PM
PRO
Riddle Construction and Design
If the room is small in dimension then the soffit may take up a lot of the ceiling space anyway which is why I would guess you designer recommended keeping it all one level. 86" is not all that short...I have seen shorter. If it were our project I would probably recommend the same solution. However I do advise you do a tall vertical mirror over the vanity and if budget allows either tile or wallpaper run vertically on the walls. This will give the illusion of height and draw the eye up and down. Stay away from dark paint colors and make sure to paint the ceiling white.
1 Like   Thanked by pearriverparents    July 23, 2014 at 4:19PM
pearriverparents
Thanks. They framed the ceiling and the highhats are there....Does not feel all that bad actually! Thanks for the advice.
0 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 5:37PM