Awkward L-Shaped Living Room/Weird Landing
Emily H.
The beige room is the "landing." It used to be a bedroom before the previous occupants added a basement. Now this awkward offshoot of our living room contains 1) stairs to the finished basement 2) door to the bathroom (which leads to our bedroom - I know, so strange) and 3) door to the attic (which is a guest room and an office).

The red/yellow room is our living room (which is also our entry and is open plan to the kitchen). We've moved the furniture around multiple times in both rooms and while I like the flow of our current set up, it still doesn't feel 100% right. I'm also tempted to paint the doors and the railings around the stairs black/dark brown. I would paint the room, but with the staircase it's is impossible for us to do on our own, and I'm trying to stick to a small budget. If anyone has ideas about light fixtures and/or window treatments (particularly as privacy is concerned, as our next door neighbors can see right into our windows) it would be appreciated as well.
Emily H.
Here's two more photos that show the "landing" room.
July 23, 2014 at 3:27PM   
flair lighting
where do you watch tv? i think you need a larger rug, and less items scattered about. the layout is good, i just think there is a lot of stuff on the walls, in the stair well, and around. its making the walls close in on you, i happen to like a lot of the things but some things should go/be move.
July 23, 2014 at 4:00PM     
My first suggestion would be to get blinds for the windows. Remove the curtains sporting the ponytail;( The *landing room* perimeter needs to be scaled way down with trinkets.
July 23, 2014 at 4:10PM     
I do believe I would paint the railings. Not sure about the doors.
July 23, 2014 at 4:31PM     
An easy budget friendly update would be replace the landing room ceiling light fixture. Here is one from Home Depot for $89;)

July 23, 2014 at 4:39PM     
Emily H.
These are great recommendations - thanks! Totally love the light fixture - it's perfect! I've been trying to go for a Spanish colonial vibe, but it's still pretty junky. We don't have a TV - but that may change. We've never been able to figure where to put one. We may end up doing a family room in the basement and have a tv there.
July 23, 2014 at 5:10PM   
Declutter. Bamboo shades. Replace the boob light; this white Moroccan lantern would be cool. I'd keep the white trim and stair rail and add more white to the space, perhaps in the picture frames. Or paint the shelf above the desk white.
July 23, 2014 at 5:37PM     
Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
I'm with groveraxle. There's too much going on in your landing and the things in it right now look very cluttered. The bamboo shades and Moroccan lighting are a good idea. You could also replace the pictures and hang the spoke wheel there instead, switch the statue and the ladder with the ladder against the corner.
August 5, 2014 at 9:27AM     
jeaniy02
If you don't want to drastically scale down your decor around the edges of the landing, at least go for the bamboo shades groveraxle suggested--the curtains are a bit distracting as they are currently. As well as the wheel, you could take some of your knickknacks and explore mounting some of them on the wall as a type of gallery wall of artifacts instead of leaning them around the edge. Some of your existing wall art is on the small side and you currently have so much visual weight around the floor level that maybe you could bring it up and kill two birds with one stone.

I like the neutral shade on the landing walls--it doesn't compete with your very colorful living room.

Love Margo's lampshade suggestion!
August 5, 2014 at 10:25AM     
Emily H.
Thanks folks! Here's where we're sort of at now - the yellow mail holder on the side is gone, and blinds have been ordered. It's already much improved and I feel so much better about it.
August 5, 2014 at 11:18PM     
Emily H.
Oh and p.s. we ended up not painting the doors black - instead we changed out the hardware from silver to dark bronze. Much, much better.
August 5, 2014 at 11:19PM     
abb_ann
I love the bamboo blinds idea. Maybe a nice storage bench with an upholstered top along the railing? Great to hide some of the office/desk clutter. Great job removing all the 'excess'.
August 6, 2014 at 2:31AM     
Much improvement. I doubt that the subject matter in the three small art pieces can be appreciated from the stairwell, so I'd prefer the ladder there. Maybe you could find some
textile items to hang from the rungs. That small rug might be workable as one item since it is too small and purposeless right now. The two large dark pictures in the landing may look better as a pair on either side of the single window in the living room and the single picture over the sofa would be better over your desk or over the chest. Drapes should hang floor to ceiling, but they'll be too short then. Maybe the blind idea will work in that room too. You do have a lot of chunky pieces in the living room. A few more pix of it might elicit ideas.
August 6, 2014 at 5:57AM   
Thanks for the update Emily, looking good;) Repost with the blinds please! Nice light ')
August 6, 2014 at 6:30AM     
TV Placement in awkward L-shaped living/dining
I'm looking for advice for my living/dining area. I...
how do I layout my living room (w/attached l-shaped dining room)
I have a bi-level home w/long l-shaped living room/dining...
L-shaped living room/dining room suggestions?
We are first time homeowners and would love some help...
L-Shaped Living room/dining room combo ideas-NO CLUE
Hey everyone; Just moved in here. Need help making...
What rug size do I get?
I recently just got a beautiful dining table from restoration...
Replacing Ceiling Plaster Work In Historic Brownstone
Need to replace a huge historical decorative plaster...
boring brick house front
Our new house is a 70's box with red brick and one...
Moving toilet in second floor bathroom
I would like to move our toilet closer to the bathtub...