Need Help ASAP Deciding on Floor Finish!
tlath
We are in the process of having our floors sanded down and refinished. Our home is a 1952 cape. The upstairs is heart pine and we are planning to just clear coat it with no stain. The entire downstairs is white oak. The kitchen area was recently opened to the living room and new white oak was laid down to replace the awful linoleum. From what I have seen I like a medium brown toned floor. I am not crazy about the auburn and yellow tones. We do have one 5yr old daughter who does want a puppy but that is only a wish list and will not be happening in the near future. Our floor finisher is suggesting 3 coats of bona oil based poly in a semi gloss. We installed white cabinets and have ordered a white quartz countertop. Our island is also white but will have a wood countertop to give the room some warmth. I am going for a traditional look with some country charm. Can someone please help with a good floor finish suggestion for downstairs. Also the stairs to the second floor are also heart pine. They are currently in need of refinishing look to be an auburn tone. The risers are not painted. Our floor finisher said he would not sand down the risers only buff and poly which would not look good if we decide to to a medium brown stain. Do you suggest we try to sand and stain the risers ourselves or simply paint them. I just hate to paint that beautiful wood. Please help. Did I mention it's 90 here in MA and were supposed to be having our daughters birthday party here in just over 2wks!
apple_pie_order
3 coats of poly in semi gloss would be fine. Medium brown is good, too. Find some photos of what you want, show them and give them to the refinisher Then have them make a small test area for each stain option on your white oak (try 3 stain colors, it's easy to do samples). One person's "medium brown" is another person's "Jacobean", so testing on your own floor is the only way to get exactly what you want.

The heart pine could be something whose overall tones you want to match. Do you have photos with just the clear coat on them?
0 Likes   Thanked by tlath    July 23, 2014 at 6:26PM
tlath
Thank you. The floors have just been sanded, no finish yet. We tried a sample of mini wax special walnut on the oak floors which I liked but the finisher has suggested no stain just the 3 coats of oil based poly. The walls are painted BM Chocolate Froth which is pretty light and I was hoping to get some warmth into the room with the floors I just don't know if we go ahead with stain if we can get the stairs to tie into it given it is a different type of wood.
0 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 6:32PM
apple_pie_order
Do you have photos?

Staircases are often different kinds of wood than the main flooring. It's traditional in a lot of places.
0 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 6:57PM
tlath
No pic now but I will try to get one tomorrow. Thank you
0 Likes   July 23, 2014 at 7:19PM
Need Help deciding on a backsplash for my kitchen ASAP!!!
I like a transitional style. My kitchen cabinets are...
hlehrman
Need help to decide shower wall and floor finishes?
I am renovating a 1920's house and the master bathroom...
jkinnie
Need help deciding semi gloss or satin finish for hardwood floors
Hi! We finished all of our hardwood a custom blend...
c1l2b3c4
Need help deciding on finish for new wood floors - Matte or Shiny?
Beautiful newly stained oak floors ( a medium brown)....
teentravelmom
Need help deciding door hardware finish
I have black aluminum framed windows & antiqued pewter...
jennaleh
Take wall down for an open concept look? Or keep it the way it is?
Really wanted an open concept area, when we were house...
always shopping
Need help for my living room!
Our living room is very long, with two openings and...
jenellison7
need help with my bathroom
If I have 100 sq ft for a wall, how many 12"x12" tiles...
2067031ms
Help - I cant decide which kitchen to get- traditional or modern
I have a huge dilemma I love 2 kitchen designs for...
Faye Bentley
Bathroom vanity lighting
My new ensuite bath will have a small double sink oddly...
Rosa B